Post Workout Protein Help

Options
Hey everyone,

I joined the site about 2 months ago, and have lost 25 pounds in that time (197-172). I'm a 5'11 male, and added weight lifting (total body workout every other day) to my exercise routine a week ago to try to turn the extra fat I have on me to muscle. So far so good from the lifting perspective, but I was wondering if I should take some kind of protein shake/bar after I'm done on lifting days? I have been trying to get a lot of protein in, but just was wondering. Not looking to gain a lot of muscle weight, just want to tone up and lose the rest of my flab. Any help is appreciated, and thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 25 lb loss!

Recovery, after almost any kind of intense workout, is sped up by trying to eat within 60 minutes of the workout. If you were bodybuilding you'd want more protein but the general recommendation is 4:1 (carbs:protein). I like Clif bars myself, some people like protein shakes; you'll see lots of people drinking chocolate milk after running.
  • Jay_3
    Jay_3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Brian is spot on with the carb to protein ratio. I would advise a whey shake with water as it is absorbed into the body quicker. I add glutamine to mine to help with recovery.
  • ruthvbailey
    ruthvbailey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Protein

The body uses protein to build and repair all protein components of the body. This includes muscle, blood, organs, nerves, skin, hair and the brain. It also helps to keep you feeling full for longer.

Some good sources of protein include:
    lean meats and poultry
    dairy products
    soy beans
    nuts
    lentils
    eggs

Hope this helps.
  • joecreed
    joecreed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jay,

Any Whey Shakes that taste half decent? And thanks everyone for the help.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein after my workouts (2 scoops) with 2 cups of water. It's 40 grams of quick protein to help with the recovery. I like the taste, but am searching for something new. I've been using this stuff for years.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like accellerade. you mix with water and it's a 4:1 ratio. Can get them at GNC.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others will chime in as well, but if your protein intake is adequate for the day it will provide what you need whether you eat it right after working out or not. The evidence for the necessity of eating protein in the hour or so after a workout is really not there at this point. I just try to meet my daily macros.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you aren't trying to build muscle you really don't need to worry about a protein shake after a workout. However due to working out in general you do need a bit more protein than normal DAILY (compared to a person who doesn't workout) in order for muscle recovery if you are conducting strength training.
  • joecreed
    Options
    If you aren't trying to build muscle you really don't need to worry about a protein shake after a workout. However due to working out in general you do need a bit more protein than normal DAILY (compared to a person who doesn't workout) in order for muscle recovery if you are conducting strength training.

I may have said that wrong Antonio. I definitely want to build muscle. But I really just want to firm my upper body up as a whole first. I'm a skinny build in general, so when I was at 197 pounds it was a ton of fat in my stomach, chest, etc. I've lost a lot of fat these past 55 days or so, but that was just by counting calories and all cardio stuff. Now I added the lifting every other day, so I just want to make sure I'm going about it in the best way possible. I'm not one to worry what the scale says, I just want to look in the mirror and see a flat stomach and a tighter chest. Not even talking 6-pack abs and ripped up chest lol. One step at a time.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try Champion Nutrition's Pure Whey - Any flavor you like. I've tried strawberry, vanilla, and cookies n cream... All really good. I don't buy any other brands now.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just started using the EAS protein powder I bought at Target and it's pretty tasty! I got a shaker bottle and one scoop for about 4-6 oz of water is all it takes. 130 cals and 23 grams of protein is pretty good and sometimes I blend it up with some frozen fruit and a bit of milk and I think it tastes like a milkshake!

I've been using for a couple weeks and can tell my recovery is way better and now that I am starting P90X in another week I will for sure keep up with this. The protein keeps me fuller longer too so I eat less junk!
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep your training heavy (5 rep range is perfect) and not to failure. Focus on strength increases weekly in the basic compound movements. Protein is important, but don't get carried away with mythology. Carbs SPARE protein, so that it can do it's job and not be used for energy. You can get away with less overall protein if your carbs are high enough. If you lower your carb intake then yes, you will have to increase protein to ridiculous levels so that it may be used for energy. Not recommended. Carbs are cheaper and cleaner.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I joined the site about 2 months ago, and have lost 25 pounds in that time (197-172). I'm a 5'11 male, and added weight lifting (total body workout every other day) to my exercise routine a week ago to try to turn the extra fat I have on me to muscle.

You can't turn fat into muscle. You can, however, build muscle and try to decrease the fat in your fat cells.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The meal you eat after your workout is the most important meal of your entire day and you need to eat it with 30 minutes of training in order to restore your glycogen content, so that your muscles can tear down and rebuild more easily.
    It is also important to make sure you are eating a protein that your body can actually use.

Here is a link of a blog article I wrote on finding a good protein supplement and how it all works:
    http://hiitthechallengewithjennifer.blogspot.com/2012/03/find-out-if-your-body-is-using-protein.html

I would also luv it if you joined my fb page at www.facebook.com/hiitthechallenge
    there are also tons of before/after pics of people transforming there bodies there!
    God bless,
    Jennifer
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I know I'm just a chick, but I always drink a protein shake after my workout (just 1 1/4 scoops, not 2, since I'm not a guy:laugh: )...anyway, I'm really picky about the taste, and I LOVE Promasil chocolate from GNC. 40 gm of protein/180 cals for 2 scoops--you'd have to add your carbs. I eat fruit with mine, but you know, whatever.... Anyway, I swear it tastes like chocolate milk, and I just mix it with a spoon in water--no blender. It mixes smooth and tastes great. Virtually no carbs or fat. My hubby (and sometimes me) uses Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey in Chocolate. 48 grams protein/240 cals in 2 scoops. It doesn't taste quite as sweet, but it mixes in water like velvet! Super easy to mix and drink. Good luck man! :drinker:

Btw, I only started seeing results after bumping protein up to 1.5 gm/lb of lean body mass--150+ gm for me...more for you...If you want to maintain/build/or condition muscle, you gotta get your protein. Best wishes on your journey!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, but you can't build muscle without adequate protein. :noway: You need a good balance of everything. Eat, drink, lift, and be merry! :drinker:
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I found this calculator linked in a lot of posts in this sub forum and in various blogs and forums on fitness so far :

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

If you get to the end you see that they suggest the composition of your macros should change depending on you workout days and rest days. On rest days proteins are in higher dose, and on work out days, carbs are on higher concentration, while eating your high protein meal soon after working out (and eating carbs before that training).

I think though when you are at your goal weight, it's pretty much the best time to use gym resources like personal trainers and nutritionists. It's nice to consult them when you want to lose weight, but they'll tell you what you already know... In your case though, they can offer good advice and most importantly, follow up on regular basis to adjust and make sure you get the most out of it :)

Good luck on your next goals of fitness!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This may help some of the misconceptions about the post workout "window of opportunity" myths out there.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

Then again it probably wont.
  • joecreed
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all the input...I think I may be more confused now lol I purchased the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises, and it has a 4-week lifting program/diet program in there that suggests total body weight workouts, 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise (I do 9) and the diet suggests low sugar, low carbs, and high protein. Now I'm hearing higher carbs not as much protein. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I want as much info as I can get from all people, but I must say it's quite confusing.