Corners of mouth sore and dry ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
What could be causing this?
I have been out cycling in the sun a lot recently, and have also recently mostly cut wheat out of my diet, but I otherwise eat a pretty healthy diet with fruit and vegetables and plenty of protein and fat each day. I also take a multi vitamin just in case.
All I have done is cut out the biscuits and much of the chocolate I was eating before, so I cant work out why the edges of my mouth have gotten so sore and dried out.

Replies

• rcarri
    rcarri Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sunburn, windburn or dehydration are my guesses. Try chapstick when you go out and drink plenty of water.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's cold sores? A doctor would be able to tell. The only other advice I have for you is to use sunscreen and chapstick when you go outside, and maybe drink more water.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to if you lick your lips while you are cycling (or any other time). I had the worst sore dry corners and lips and couldn't figure out why until I realized I was a chronic lip licker. The wind and sun from cycling might dry you out so you are unconsciously licking them while you cycle.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I heard this can be a bacteria or fungal infection. Maybe ask your dr. or pharmacist.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty of water, about 4 pints + a day, on top of about 4 hot drinks, so plenty of liquid going in.
    I am fairly sure it isn't a fungal infection.
    I had wondered if it is the sun, and sweat when I cycle.
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You could see your dentist, for peace of mind. We see this often in my work especially at this time of year. Have a look on wikipedia for angular cheilitis, that tells you a bit more.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    can be a vitamin deficiency.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If what you're describing is what it sounds like, it's called angular cheilitis. It can be caused by sunburn or licking the corners of your mouth repeatedly. However, it could become infected by the fungus Candida albicans, which causes thrush, or other pathogens. It can also be associated with nutritional deficiencies like vitamin B or zinc deficiency & iron deficiency anemia. If it doesn't get better within a short period of time. I would suggest checking with your doctor. And yes, I am in the medical profession. LOL
  • coconutty420
    coconutty420 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I got that when I gave up sugar n wheat....they say candida flares up as it is dying....that the symptoms get worse before it gets better. My MD told me it was a vit deficiency but I forget which one.....I switched my multi to one with less synthetic vitamins and it kinda went away in a cpl weeks.....so it clda been the candida dying or the change in vitamins. Good luck I know it sucks!
  • doctbone
    doctbone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this for months thinking it was just chapped lips and finally went to the doctor. He had me put OTC anti fungal cream (athlete's foot cream) on it a few times a day and it cleared up in a few days.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot of fruits raw it could also be a reaction to the acids in them. I sometimes get it from pineapples and oranges. Hope you'll feel better soon :)