Shoe Question

Options
I have just in the last 6 months taken up running, a purchased a good pair of running shoes in mid April. How long should a good pair last?? I have been running 25-30k a week for the last 12 weeks, and the shoes I have feel as though they have lost their support.

Any help for a newbie???

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Options
    I have New Balance 992 but don't run as much as you. Mine last 6-8 months, but I can replace the insoles before the outside tread wears out and get another 6 months out them for only a few more dollars.
  • fifrenzyguy34
    fifrenzyguy34 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Running is a great way to keep the heart moving and to give your Cardiovascular System a kick in the teeth. Way to go!

I am the same way; I went through a pair of Converse like they were nothing. I did the same with a New Balance. Now I know they're pricey, but I invested into a pair of Nike Shox (you can usually find deals on them if you go to an outlet mall). They have done wonders for me. I feel so much more relaxed in them and they can handle me. I'm a bigger guy but I can go for a long time without feeling any foot pain. Whatever you end up doing, keep up the running. Even if you have to do it barefoot for a while. ;-)

256580.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    You should replace them about every 400 miles... just depends when you get to that and try not to wear them for anything else other than running. :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I've heard 400 miles as well, sounds like you are getting close :) which is a very good thing. Way to go!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I believe the 400 miles thing is correct....just wanted to mention a tip I learned from someone else on this site (sorry can't remember who). If and when you can afford it, have two pairs of shoes....one pair that you run in everyday, and one pair that you wear one designated day of the week. That way once your everyday pair wears out, you'll have a pair all ready to go and broken in. Then when you buy a new pair, that will become your one day a week pair, and so on.

I thought this was a great idea and plan to do this when I start running again.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    400 miles is a good goal for smaller runners (under 170 or so), for ppl that weigh 170 or more, you should do it after around 300 miles. It's all about the foam in the bottom of the shoe, once it deforms, the shoe is no good anymore and will cause issues.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    I saw on TV awhile back a study that was done for shoes, in all types of exercises, lateral, vertical, and.... straight.. running, and they said that a paid of Asics won for like best durability/quality or something. If I can find a link i'll hook it up!!!

well this isnt what i saw on TV but here is something, Asics > Nike apparently

http://www.fitnexonline.com/shoetest.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have just in the last 6 months taken up running, a purchased a good pair of running shoes in mid April. How long should a good pair last?? I have been running 25-30k a week for the last 12 weeks, and the shoes I have feel as though they have lost their support.

Any help for a newbie???

I'm not trying to be flippant, but I think you answered your own question.

If the shoes feel like they have lost support, they probably have.