Help! Female wanting to add 2 heavy lifting days...

Options
Hi everyone!

I exercise regularly, but would like to add two days of heavy lifting. Can some females (or males) with experience give me examples of exercises to do on each day?

I'm thinking a lower body day--maybe squats, deadlifts, lunges--and an upper body day--biceps, triceps, chest. I would like to start with a solid plan, so any specific exercises and advice would be appreciated! My husband will go with me, so I'll have someone to spot for me if that helps

Also, I'm not looking to buy a book or anything just yet--and I've searched the internet and frankly there is almost too much information (but mostly about books).

So, what works for you?! Thank you!

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. A free download from the internet. The manual and the website are a bit 'gimmicky' but the program is terrific.

Also, the iPhone/iPod free Stronglifts tracker app is awesome.

Get yourself comfortable with form -- Google reputable form information, watch YouTube videos, seek input from a trainer, etc.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty comfortable with the form on basic moves because of classes I take at my gym, but I'll be especially careful with the heavy weight
  • deekaydee
    Options
    That's one of the great things about Stronglifts, you start off light so you can focus on form, but QUICKLY advance. I've seen amazing results in the two months I've been doing it and really love the program. It's very simple in concept (only five lifts) but gets the job done.

In the beginning, I added some isolation exercises at the end of my workouts, and some chin-ups, etc., because I felt like it was a pretty light workout. Nowadays, after my 5x5, I'm BEAT.
  • rmoga99
    rmoga99 Posts: 37
    Options
    Here is a book I've been hearing a lot about. There are 2 people on here with amazing results that have referenced this book. I have just ordered it. Sorry I cannot tell you first hand what I think.

The New Rules Of Lifting For Women: Lift Like A Man, Look Like A Goddess
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

^videos show you how to perform exercises correctly

I keep getting the "server error" message right now, but check the link in a little while it should work... good luck :)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. I do it, my wife does it, and a lot of my female friends do it. Don't cheat yourself; treat yourself. /Thread!
  • deekaydee
    Options

The New Rules Of Lifting For Women: Lift Like A Man, Look Like A Goddess

That's a good program also. I thoroughly enjoyed the first stage, the later stages got to be a bit much for me, but still a good program. The book is a great read and is also helpful with form.