Best Dark Chocolate

Options
I've heard that, if you really can't help but give in to major chocolate cravings, dark chocolate over 70% cocoa is best, but as it turns out not all dark chocolate is created equal. Some that I've seen (sold in bar format you can break into pieces for like 3.50$, lol) have as much fat and whatnot as a mars bar (for only like 8 pieces, too). Does anyone know of a less fatty, less sugary dark chocolate?

Thanks!

Replies

• rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I eat Ghirardelli 70% or higher dark chocolate and I read the labels each time to be sure I'm not doing the wrong thing by picking up a couple of Snickers bars!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure
    Dark chocolate is a potent antioxidant, Dark chocolate contains a large number of antioxidants (nearly 8 times the number found in strawberries).

Chocolate also holds benefits apart from protecting your heart:

it tastes good
    it stimulates endorphin production, which gives a feeling of pleasure
    it contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant
    it contains theobromine, caffeine and other substances which are stimulants

if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble; This information doesn't mean that you should eat a pound of chocolate a day. Chocolate is still a high-calorie, high-fat food. Most of the studies done used no more than 100 grams, or about 3.5 ounces, of dark chocolate a day to get the benefits.

Dark chocolate is also a better choice because of it's bitterness, people are often more satisfied with just a square or 2 of dark chocolate as opposed to a whole milk chocolate bar...
    it's not better for you because it contains less calories.

Happy chocolate eating

PG:flowerforyou:
  • ABELL
    ABELL Posts: 16
    Options
    Lindt brand 85% is really good! Especially if you have done the South Beach Diet and haven't had many sugar carbs.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ScharffenBerger and Dagoba :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Hershey's makes chocolate sticks including dark chocolate that are only 60 calories. I can't remember the fat grams, but it's not too high either. I used to eat one daily.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure
    Dark chocolate is a potent antioxidant, Dark chocolate contains a large number of antioxidants (nearly 8 times the number found in strawberries).

Chocolate also holds benefits apart from protecting your heart:

it tastes good
    it stimulates endorphin production, which gives a feeling of pleasure
    it contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant
    it contains theobromine, caffeine and other substances which are stimulants

if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble; This information doesn't mean that you should eat a pound of chocolate a day. Chocolate is still a high-calorie, high-fat food. Most of the studies done used no more than 100 grams, or about 3.5 ounces, of dark chocolate a day to get the benefits.

Dark chocolate is also a better choice because of it's bitterness, people are often more satisfied with just a square or 2 of dark chocolate as opposed to a whole milk chocolate bar...
    it's not better for you because it contains less calories.

Happy chocolate eating

PG:flowerforyou:
    Well stated. It's considered a cancer fighting food because of the antioxidants. (prevention magazine-written by a dr.) The article said that 1/5 of a bar, 70% cocoa or higher, could be eaten daily.
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Godiva
    72% Dark Demitasse :heart:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Is that 1/5 of a 1 pound bar?? :bigsmile:
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    Try Green & Blacks or Cocoa Camino, they are both organic and I think CC is fair trade. They have bars over 70% but they also have a bunch at 55% with cherries or other things which are to die for (my favorite is G&B Cherry). The entire bar is about 500 cals... which is a lot but if you can control yourself or have a couple people to share it with, they are great quality chocolate.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I find when you get to the 85% and higher you are getting a chalkier piece of chocolate. 78% is usually my limit on darkness. I love dark chocolate with a shot of strong espresso:blushing: but I recently bought Lindt 85% and was sooooo disappointed. The chocolate was dry and bitter and just, gross.:sick: :sad:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I'm a weirdo, but the more bitter the better.... :love: I also like the hot chili - dark chocolate combos, too.

Hachez Grand Cru - 88%
    Green & Black's 85%
    Ghiradelli Midnight Reverie 86%
    Endangered species Extreme Dark

and...

for the hardest of hardcore...

Unsweetened baker's chocolate.