What should I add to my fruit smoothie?

Options
dmf711
dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
I'd like to boost my fruit smoothie recipe a bit and I need your help! Here are my stipulations:

1) I am severely lactose intolerant.... so adding milk is not an option for that reason and for the taste. And no, not even lactose free milk or soy milk. I'm just not a berries and cream/berries and chocolate type of girl.

2) I am looking into a soy protein powder that I can add but ya know, I'd really rather not deal with the crazy chemicals and additives in all the fancy powders out there. In my opinion, the simpler the better.

3) I'm completely open to adding in vegetables, but unsure as to which I should add to boost the nutritional value.

My smoothie recipe, if you could even call it that.... is a cup of "triple berry" (a frozen fruit medley of strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries), a splash of diet green tea ginger ale (the one time I will ever touch soda!) and some crushed ice. At that combination, I'm pushing a whopping 70 calories and I feel like I'm just eating a liquefied fruit salad. Any suggestions?

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I often use Diet V8 Splash in smoothies, comes in orange or berry flavors.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. That's what's in all my drinks. I do strawberries and bananas, chocolate protein powder with raspberries, chocolate protein powder with mint, etc.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    home made smoothie....no products

1 banana
    1/2 cup egg whites or 1 cup
    1 cup milk
    1/2 blue berry
    1/2 cup apple sauce
    1 small fruit yogurt

If you buy from store...I use fortress Whey powder (raspberry flavor) and I mix with water (I tried with milk but too creamy did not like) so I use water and its very good somtimes I add more fruits
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    baby spinach leaves are awesome in smoothies! makes you skin dewy fresh also
    I throw in walnuts for protien and good fat
    Almond milk
    frozen bananas
    pineapple
    aloe vera juice sometimes
    I've not tried kale but know its very good for you but needs a stronger flavor to not be overpowering
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I add raw leafy green to up those, also green vibrance is great, has a bit of a funky taste so you have to play with it to find the right amounts or stuff to add it to. I was also reading about pea and rice protien together is a really great protien source as well
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    why soy? I like Now unflavored whey protein isolate. I also have their egg white protein. I like to add half of frozen banana to all my fruit or chocolate smoothies. I also like 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum - really good mouth feel/creaminess. I sometimes use cottage cheese and water or greek yogurt and water instead of almond milk or regular milk.

I do want to try some green smoothies+protein but haven't gotten there yet :)
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Water, 8 fl. oz.
    Ice - 4 oz.
    Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 85 g
    Spinach - Raw, 85 g
    Celery - Raw, 101 g
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 162 g
    Pears - Raw, 102 g
    Bananas - Raw, 125 g
    Seeds - Flaxseed, (ground) 14.0 g
    Lemon juice - Raw, 0.55 fl oz
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend makes green smoothies every morning and here's what is in them 99% of the time. Of course if there's pears or apples in the house, he'll add those too. Everything goes into the blender, no juicing here! Those healthy fibers from the veggies/fruits are GOOD.

* 1-2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (Original)
    * Kale (1 cup leaves, stems removed)
    * 3 stalks celery
    * 1 cup broccoli
    * handful of spinach
    * 1/4 cup blueberries
    * 1/2 cup cucumber
    * 1 carrot
    * 1/4 avocado (most of the time)
    * 1 ripe banana (to mask the greeny taste)
    * handful of ice

After he's poured his, I usually add my protein powder and continue to blend away!
    As for protein powders, I like MLO's brand. The nutritional content is excellent, and it's all natural. Find it in the natural foods section of your grocery.
    MLO's Super High Protein Powder has 24g protein for 110 calories. Excellent vitamins/minerals content.

When I go for simplicity, I just do half banana, unsweetened almond milk and a serving of protein powder. Paired with some cooked kale & eggs with hot sauce and I'm all set!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I make one every day - it is more a vegetable smoothie (with a bit of fruit)

Cup of coconut water or Cold Pepermint Tea
    Cup of Kale or Spinach leaves
    Half cup celery (stalks and leaves)
    Medium Carrot
    1 smallish beetroot (cooked for about 20 mins) - I make a batch once a week to use in salads and my smoothies
    Half cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
    Cup of cucumber pieces (most probably a bit more - about 6 inches of cucumber)

On special occasions I would add some coconut milk, or walnut milk as well to make it more creamy

It makes 3 - 4 cups of smoothie - so I drink one cup in the morning when I make it, 1 cup around 11am, and one cup around 3pm (to which I add my whey protein powder before I go to the gym)

If you don't want to use whey protein egg whites is a good protein to use.....
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I make one every day - it is more a vegetable smoothie (with a bit of fruit)

Cup of coconut water or Cold Pepermint Tea
    Cup of Kale or Spinach leaves
    Half cup celery (stalks and leaves)
    Medium Carrot
    1 smallish beetroot (cooked for about 20 mins) - I make a batch once a week to use in salads and my smoothies
    Half cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
    Cup of cucumber pieces (most probably a bit more - about 6 inches of cucumber)

Excellent recipe.. Taking notes on that beetroot! Yum!
  • marujita
    marujita Posts: 53
    Options
    you could try:
    spinach (you can't taste the spinach when it's mixed with berries, makes a nice texture)
    acai berries (powder)
    ground flax seeds
    maca root (powder)
    aloe vera juice
  • vegan1975
    vegan1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I add spinach or kale or swiss chard to my smoothies for the nutritional boost and never end up tasting it (which is a good thing). I used to not put soymilk in my smoothies at first but then realised I actually preferred it. I add (all frozen) a banana, a variety of berries, sometimes some mango, and then some stevia or dates for sweetness and lemon/lime juice for tartness, and a shot of vanilla. For protein powders I add a scoop of the vegan protein I have on hand (either hemp or soy or one that's a combo of pea/rice/hemp protein). I've never given much thought to the chemicals in those protein powders though.

If you really can't stand soy or almond milk then I'd suggest you go the frozen banana and/or mango route since it'll add some creaminess and make it less like just a bunch of pureed berries.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend makes green smoothies every morning and here's what is in them 99% of the time. Of course if there's pears or apples in the house, he'll add those too. Everything goes into the blender, no juicing here! Those healthy fibers from the veggies/fruits are GOOD.

* 1-2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (Original)
    * Kale (1 cup leaves, stems removed)
    * 3 stalks celery
    * 1 cup broccoli
    * handful of spinach
    * 1/4 cup blueberries
    * 1/2 cup cucumber
    * 1 carrot
    * 1/4 avocado (most of the time)
    * 1 ripe banana (to mask the greeny taste)
    * handful of ice

After he's poured his, I usually add my protein powder and continue to blend away!
    As for protein powders, I like MLO's brand. The nutritional content is excellent, and it's all natural. Find it in the natural foods section of your grocery.
    MLO's Super High Protein Powder has 24g protein for 110 calories. Excellent vitamins/minerals content.

When I go for simplicity, I just do half banana, unsweetened almond milk and a serving of protein powder. Paired with some cooked kale & eggs with hot sauce and I'm all set!

How freaky is that - just about similar daily smoothies!! I do agree avocado gives it a wonderful creamy taste....
  • dmf711
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! i wasn't expecting to come back to such a huge response! I really do dislike the taste of milk/milky stuff with my berries, so unfortunately I'm not looking to add any kinds of milks (soy, almond, rice, etc.) to my smoothies. The baby spinach and aloe vera juice additions are great suggestions! Anyone know of high potassium veggies I can add?

Also, I'd love to find a fruit punch flavored protein powder somewhere if possible! Keep the great recipes and suggestions coming. It never hurts to share the wealth!
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I noticed some Northern white beans in the fridge this morning and added about 15 beans to mine smoothie. The only negative to this experiment was the occasional bean shell, which didnt grind up very well. However, the boost in protein and fiber was significant.
  • Muslimah1218
    Muslimah1218 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • dmf711
    Options
    I noticed some Northern white beans in the fridge this morning and added about 15 beans to mine smoothie. The only negative to this experiment was the occasional bean shell, which didnt grind up very well. However, the boost in protein and fiber was significant.

Cool idea! I have some black beans but IIIIIIIII don't really think those would taste all that great in a berry smoothie LOL! I'll keep Northern white beans in mind, they sound like they would b a lot more mellow than black beans!