To the Moms of Toddlers.... Advice?

Options
124»

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have clarified better. That's my fault. Should have just asked, what do you do when faced with temptation???

At DD's school, the kids are served small portions. They can ask for more if they want. It allows them to practice being polite, asking for more, learning to recognize when they are hungry and eating according to that. You could do the same thing. Just serve small portions, let them ask for more, and put away what isn't served.

It is completely okay to indulge once in a while. Everything in moderation. So you want to eat Mac and Cheese? Serve yourself what you'd give your child. Log it, and either adjust your other meals to account for the calories, or work out a little harder to burn a little more. I personally do not believe in depriving myself of the things I love. Just watch the portion sizes, that's all.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I did this when my son was a toddler, but my daughter is 1 and she usually eats all her food, and I don't desire to do it anymore, I've pretty much trained myself to only eat when hungry, and to eat small meals.
  • j3nnal3igh13
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! Great advice now that I cleared things up!! :happy: I will try these tips. And I am bad with portions. That is (was) my biggest down fall.
  • j3nnal3igh13
    Options
    My mom told me something like this when my oldest was younger and I try to keep it in mind when I have the urge to eat the kids' leftovers (or that little bit of something that is left in the pan).

"Either way it goes to waste. It either goes to your waist, or to waste in the garbage.

I prefer to waste in the garbage"

I LOVE THIS!! My new motto to say to myself now!! :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! Great advice now that I cleared things up!! :happy: I will try these tips. And I am bad with portions. That is (was) my biggest down fall.

I still stand by my post: "When my 2 year old doesn't finish his lunch/dinner/(anything except cereal), it gets plastic wrapped and served to him again within the next 24 hours. Sometimes he eats a lot, sometimes he eats a little, but either way he always eat again."

When I took accountability for my lifestyle changes part of that was realizing that I portioned out what was on my plate for a reason, and what's on his plate isn't a part of that plan.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    My mom told me something like this when my oldest was younger and I try to keep it in mind when I have the urge to eat the kids' leftovers (or that little bit of something that is left in the pan).

"Either way it goes to waste. It either goes to your waist, or to waste in the garbage.

I prefer to waste in the garbage"

This is so true, I remembered Michelle Bridges saying something similar, but I couldnt remember the wording to put it here last night, but that is it!
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old boy and a 3 yr old girl. They eat decently healthy. Sure, every now and then is a quick pizza in the over but for the most part, they eat what everyone else eats. Fruit after every meal, and normally some sort of dessert (last night it was those fruit chillers).

Anyways, I guess I'm a hard as/s. If my kids don't eat, I don't force them but I certainly don't make them anything else either. If they aren't hungry, they aren't hungry. If they choose not to eat and come to me an hour later, I pull their dinner out of the microwave.

Same here. I also have 2-year old twins and they are great eaters, thank god. Today their lunch was tomatoes w hummus in a whole wheat pita, turkey breast, grapes, cheese and avocado. They never leave any cheese or avocado, the two most fattening things, but what they do leave usually is something I'd have for lunch too so it's not a big deal.