How often should I weigh in?

Options
Hey everyone so I just had a question? How often does everyone weigh in? Honestly I've decided to do it every 2-3 weeks. When i started I was going to do it every week but after hitting the gym 6 days a week and buring on average of about 400-500 cal and working my butt off... in my first weigh in i gained 3 lbs. I know I might be gaining muscle but it was soo discouraging. I know I'm working hard and careful with what I'm eating but I know if i weigh myself too much and the scale is not showing what I want it too I don't want to down. Do you think this is a good idea?

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I weigh in at least twice a day.
  • daeljo
    daeljo Posts: 38
    Options
    I think it just depends... I weigh myself every time I go to the gym because they have this really nice scale... And I like to see the little losses! Even if it is .2 ;] But I think that, usually, you should weigh yourself once a week around the same time.
  • AfonsoSilva
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only post the losses.
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    I used to be obsessed and weigh every day. I cut back to 1-3 times a week.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week, but I too was getting to frustrated with the scale. Since going to the gym I know I have lost
    lots of inches cause my clothes are to big, but the scale wasn't moving. I was getting depressed about it so I just
    decided I wasn't going to step on them again until after Easter.
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, same time of day each time. Saturday is my weigh in day just because I started tracking everything on a Saturday. :)
  • erogers85
    erogers85 Posts: 32
    Options
    I weigh in every Saturday morning- anything more would make me extremely anxious! I've thought about moving to every two weeks and I might end up doing that
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I sneak peek at various times every other day or so, just to see how on track I am, but I don't take the number to heart. I way in for logging 1x a week and post both losses and gains.
  • Kandigirl05
    Kandigirl05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. I set a goal to lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks and want to make sure I'm staying on track. I think weighing more frequently would just drive me crazy because weight can fluctuate so much from day to day.
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    I had my best and most consistent weight loss success when I was weighting in only once a week. I did so at the same time and day every time-- first thing in the morning right before I started my "cheat day".
  • kc3poh
    kc3poh Posts: 10
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...but that is mainly because I moved my scale to the kitchen...right beside the fridge. :) It's a mental thing for me. It makes me think to myself, "Ugh - that Braum's ice cream looks so good, but I think that number on the scale going down would look even better."
  • i don't think weighing yourself everyday is good for the mind. To me it's a little obsessive like you HAVE to see a difference in weight so quickly. I weigh myself once a week, on Wednesdays. I just think it's healthier.
  • skatters
    skatters Posts: 48
    Options
    I am weighing in once a month at the doctor's office. I used to get all funky when it came to weigh in time. I would stress, starve myself the day before, and I would let the scale dictate my mood. I used to beat myself up HARD. And it was extremely discouraging when I was doing everything right and the scale still didn't move. I was a big time yo-yo dieter. And I think I own stock in Weight Watchers.

This time the journey is not about the number on the scale. It's about being healthier. I am 130 pounds overweight - so sure, I expect (and want) to lose weight. But I am focusing on giving my body what it needs. Fueling it correcting. Exercising so I feel better. I made it around 2 blocks yesterday, walking. This is huge. This makes me feel proud of myself. I am making progress towards a better lifestyle. As long as I track my foods and exercise - I know that weight number is going down. Right now, I am content with that.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself right now once a day - first thing in the morning. But I do not recommend this because it is an obsessive behavior and really isn't a true reflection of overall loss. In the past this would only frustrate me and I would give up.

I would recommend once a week - same time/day once a week.
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    The experts tell me weigh-in once a week.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself through the day but I only log it on Wednesday, in the morning, after I wake up... no clothes, after potty. It really depends on the person, but for me, this works. It's just far enough from the weekend so that I know I've worked off any extra. I have consistently lost weight this way and no more feeling sorry for myself. I used to weigh Mondays, which, IMO, is always a bad idea.

This has worked for me.... Have your weekend, make sure to log everything. Weigh daily if you want, just to see how yesterday went, and give you some perspective. High sodium? High weigh-in. High calories? High weigh-in. Lots of strength training? High weigh-in... it all evens out in the wash when you weigh once a week, at the same time, in the same state of dress.

Only log on Wednesday morning. It saves a lot of guilt, trust me. :D

Have a great weekend.. and don't forget to log. Even the bad stuff and the liquid calories. Trust me, they add up :]
  • Phestr
    Phestr Posts: 37
    Options
    Saturday morning, first thing before coffee, for both me and my wife. Since you need to have 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, and you can't do that in a day, why stress?
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Every person is different but I weigh every day and have an official weigh in day every week just like I did when I was with Weight Watchers. I only record my official WI but keep a mental note of my daily weights to keep an eye on what I eat and what affect it has on me.

My advice, find out what works for you and don't obsess with the scale. Take your measurements and record them. Many times those go down much more than the number on the scale.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, but sometimes I wait until the next week. So, about two or three times a month. Any more than that seems excessive and I start to obsess.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before showering

as I am a very visual person, it really motivates me when I see the weight drop as this was not the case before

Eventually once i get the hang of things, it will be every few days

So its really a matter of choice and how you view your weigh ins..i.e i look forward to mine