Fitness NSV - Accomplished

Options
Aliciaaah
Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
*kitten* that scale that hasn't moved in two weeks.

I started this knowing that I wanted to lose weight, and knowing that I wanted to do gymnastics again. My main goal was to do a roundoff back handspring. I haven't done one of these since I was in the 180's. I'm now at about 200 lbs. I've been at it for about two and a half months.

Today I woke up, did 30DS, ate lunch and decided to go for a walk. After a couple miles I reached this grassy area by the beach and decided to do some stretching, some backbends with kickovers, standard stuff that I've been practicing the last few weeks.

The grass was cushy, much better than the hard wood floors in the fitness rooms at my gym. I decided, hey, maybe I'll do a roundoff. I had a nice powerful bouncy rebound at the end of that roundoff. I thought hey, I'm feeling light and bouncy, maybe I'll try a front handspring (much easier that the back one). The first one I did, I got all the way over but landed really low and rocked back on my butt. I went for another one. Perfect. And the next and the next. I even did two in a row and did pretty well. A guy running near me yelled "Good job!". lol Here's what a front handspring looks like for anyone who doesn't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQ_BhvLHIw

Then I thought, I REALLY want to do a roundoff back handspring. And I think I can. For a second I thought "what if I hurt myself" but shrugged it off. I stood there and looked at the grass for about two minutes. Then I just went for it. I DID IT. And it was GOOD. Better than they ever were at 180. I didn't land on my knees, it wasn't slow, I wasn't heavy on my arms. I flew through it. This is a roundoff back handspring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7v-YHPhrOQ

What a perfect way to end my spring break. It really has been a perfect day.

Now all I'm thinking is.. I've reached my goal. What now???

Replies

• Sabrina8338
    Options
    Awesome job!!! It's really wonderful that you thought 'What if I hurt myself?" and were quickly able to push past that and at least try it. That I think should be your next goal. Choose something else you want to be able to do and focus on going for it. Don't worry too much if it's not perfect the first few times because I'm known a few gymnasts and they never give up trying until it is!
    Keep up the good work!
  • Aliciaaah
    Options
    Thanks! I think my next goals are to master some more non-momentum moves, the ones that require more strength, balance, and flexibility. I never thought I'd get to this goal so fast. I knew that once I lost weight and got a little of my flexibility back it'd be like hopping back on a bike, but this was wayyy sooner that I thought and I'm thrilled about it. I want to do multiples now and ultimately get a backtuck. Ooh, and an aerial! I've never been good at the no hand tricks, could never get the backtuck, but at this rate I'm feeling good about it.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I'm happy for you :)
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    That is great! Good for you for pushing yourself to try.
  • Aliciaaah
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was elated! On the walk home I sang the whole time. The old guy walking just ahead of me kept looking at me annoyed. I guess he doesn't like Hotel California. And yes, I "sang" the whole solo at the end of the song. lol
  • JesssHerzner
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that's totally badass. I wish I had an awesome NSV to share with you, the best I've got is being able to fit into my boyfriends t shirt haha :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!