Late Night Snacking

Options
I'm aware that most of the weight I've gained came from eating in the evenings, but it's never been more apparent than now. I go CRAZY in the evenings. I start wandering the kitchen like a zombie, just LOOKING for something to devour. I like to read, and my habit in the past has been to munch on something while I read. I read in the evenings, so this is going to be a problem for me. The last two nights I found myself in the kitchen going thru the fridge and cupboards. LOL. I had honey buns in my hand, but I managed to put them down. I'll be good all day long, but late at night is what gets me.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    A lot of people eat out of boredom, I think.
    Pick up a hobby that occupies those hands more, or start forcing yourself to mindlessly crunch on carrots or celery while reading. It won't do damage like honey buns!
  • rasberry23
    Options
    Dear: Late Night Snacking.

I tend to have that problem too but when I watch TV. You could always try and have a green cup of tea, or your favoriate choice. I find that it fill's you up aswell.
    Also I would try and read in your room or somewhere where it will take you longer to get to your kitchen.
    In the evening we all tend to become a bit lazy...If I do say so myself. So if your upstairs reading, then you are less likly to go downstairs, in my personal opinion.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are not starving yourself during the day. I find that if I eat a lot of protein and fiber during the day, I usually don't have a problem with munchies in the evening.

Save some calories so you can eat crunchy fruit like apples or carrots in the evening. Frozen grapes are delicious too.
  • theatregoddess
    Options
    I know how you feel, I like to munch on little things while I'm on the computer at night. I've found that if I'm having the munchies, I'll either grab something healthy (carrots, celery, grapes, nuts, etc) and eat them slowly, or I'll try drinking some water. Some other things you can try that have helped me are finding a small chore to do that will keep you busy and take your mind off of your appetite, or getting into something that will occupy your brain. Reading is a good idea, but if your appetite is causing you to lose your focus, take a break from it. Ask yourself if you're REALLY hungry, or if you're just bored. If you're actually hungry, try a healthy snack, but if not, get into something that will take your mind off of food.

One other thing I've noticed that helps me stay away from junk food is to look at the nutrition label BEFORE I eat it. Seeing how many cals/sugar/fat/etc are in one little snack can deter me from eating it.

Good luck!
    ~Nicole =]
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Don't buy stuff like honeybuns and then you won't have them to snack on. Keep healthy snacks in the house so that when you do get the urge, you have good stuff to munch on.

I love yoplait whips in the freezer....they take longer to eat and serve as a good substitute for ice cream. Just don't keep them in there too long....about 2 hours is good. I love the chocolate and vanilla, but the key lime and raspberry freeze good too.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm terribly guilty of this as well, usually for me it is chips or crackers. I read a piece of advice recently which I'm trying to adhere to - after you are done cleaning up after dinner shut the kitchen down. Turn off the lights and have no intention of going back in there, think of it as a restaurant that is closed for the evening. One of the worst things we can do is eat carbs before bed, you body will not break them down and they will turn directly to fat. It's not easy but may be a good way to look at it.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I just started a new rule for myself I think it might help you as well. After I eat my dinner I make myself drink 16 + oz of water and if I want to munch on food I have to drink one more 16oz first. First is the key because the water fills you up. After the water if I still want to munch I get out the carrot sticks. Nothing but water after 8pm tho so I have a few hours of not eating before bed. My man sits and eats chips :grumble: and I eat carrots but I keep telling myself that I don't really want chips and one day I will believe myself :laugh:

Good luck to you!

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

:flowerforyou:
  • sibetsimo
    Options
    My trick doesn't really work on its own, but might be helpful in combination with what everyone has already said. Install a big or even full-length mirror between your favourite reading spot and the kitchen. Then, when you're settling in to read, don't do so in loose-fitting pyjamas or sweats. Rather, wear something tighter (though comfy!) like a tank with some stretch to it and cover yourself up with a blanket if you get cold. So when you get up to satisfy those munchies you have to walk in front of a full-length mirror in tight-fitting clothing either you'll see that bit of a belly you're trying so hard to lose that will just be worsened if you give in or you'll see some of the results of all the hard work you've already put in that you surely don't want to undo in a single night! Either way it might influence what you pick up in the kitchen (carrot sticks vs. honey buns) or if you even go in at all!! Just a thought! :smile:

Oh, and I have this problem too... Carbs before bed are my ultimate downfall.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Recently there was a thread like this one and someone had a very good idea. She said if she wanted something to eat at night she had a rule it couldn't be store bought. She had to prepare it. If she was craving cookies they would have to be baked from scratch. She said the thought of having to do all of that quickly removed the crave.

I drink a protein shake 45minutes - 1 hour before bedtime and I use that for my snack.
  • Fidelly
    Fidelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible late night snacker. Besides being a major carb hound.. :wink: I was talking to my friend this morning about it and I realized that before bed last night, when I was reading in my living room (while my sis was on the comp), I didn't have any snack cravings. It's when I get into my room and watch TV or read there before bed, that all the snacking urges hit me like a brick. I got in to the worst habit of snacking in my room before bedtime, mainly on Doritos. Now I don't keep Doritos, or any other chips in the house, but freezer pops, and I grab one of those on my way to bed if I must have something. Try and change your routine, or where you usually hang out before bed. I might be a good way to break the habit.

I'm going to try the water suggestion, that's great. I NEVER drink as much water as I should