peckish after the gym help?

Options
i have started at the gym this week and have been feeling very good but i find that im hungry after i finish my hour work out.
i make sure i drink through out my exercise so i know its not water my body is craving.
what is the best thing i can have after a work out i dont want to undo all the work im putting in at the gym
any ideas people

Replies

• splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    protein shake!

I don't really have hunger after a work out which is odd for me but I drink a protein shake any way. I hear they are the best things to have after a work out. Then again, that's been advice to me since I said I wanted to gain muscle.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Food. You don't have to eat after a workout as some may think, but if you're hungry there's nothing wrong with it. Protein shake, pretzels, beef jerky, chocolate milk, a small meal (lean meat and some vegetables).
  • wendywoolley
    Options
    choc milk? is that ok wouldnt it have alot of calories
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk might be OK (depending on the sugar and other artificial ingredients), so read the labels......
    Good option is a good quality protein powder......that is my preferred option!!
  • Begsnapper
    Begsnapper Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks you can have after a workout. youre lifting weights right?

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html

check that out
  • nickiesuzanne
    Options
    A Banana
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    choc milk? is that ok wouldnt it have alot of calories

Should've clarified. It all depends on what you're using. Some light or no sugar added powder or syrup with low-fat/skim milk is a pretty good carb/protein ratio. Just make sure to measure.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I go with the protein shake after I have been pushing weights. Its quick and easy
  • wendywoolley
    Options
    thanks yes i doing some weights to tone back arms and chest with about 30 mins of mixed cardio exercises
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    I had some boneless pork chops and broccoli after my workout earlier today. Twas gooood.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Already responded in another forum.... but yes, chocolate milk or a protein shake. Google "recovery food" or "recovery meals"