breathing techniques for walking/jogging

Options
hi I just started walking/jogging, i walk 2 to 3 xweek on a regular, I would like to start jogging/running,. i've heard breathing a certain way might help build endurance and help me to jog longer. Is the proper technique to inhale thru your nose and blow out thru your mouth? Or inhaling and exhaling thru mouth. Any suggestions.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You can try inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth, it's never worked for me. i don't feel like I get enough air that way... I do, however, run alot and have learned to pace my breathing in a very controlled manner, exhaling on the left foot stomp to reduce the chance of a sidestitch. I exhale about every four to six steps on my left step as I run.
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    thanks I was trying the inhale thru the nose and exhale thru the mouth and found it to be arkward. I not familiar with the terms but left foot stomp breathing sound like it is a rhythm. I will try it. thanks.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I used to mouth breathe when running. It would basically take me two breaths in, one breath out. I'm only slowly jogging again now, but I've found inhaling through the nose to feel a lot better and more efficient if that makes sense.
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    To build endurance you need to run for a long time but as a beginner you might find this difficult so you could run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 minute; slowly increasing the length of time you run.
    You'll know you have a good endurance building pace when you can maintain a conversation while you're running. If you can't then you're running too fast for endurance runs.
    When I'm doing a distance run I breathe in, hold for 2 steps and breathe out. Maintaining control over your breathing is as essential as a good stride. Once you lose control of your breathing you need to walk until you have control of it again.

Some people claim breathing through your nose or mouth will make a difference but I don't believe it. If it really made a difference then we wouldn't have the ability to breathe through the one that wasn't efficient (or so evolution would have us believe)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I think longer breathing intervals and deeper breathing is more important for endurance, like breathing in in 4 steps, out in 2. I'm in in 4, out in 4. Forcing air out rather than letting yourself deflate is meant to be good for stitch and if nothing else, makes room for more O2 on the next cycle.

I alternate every few mins between nose/mouth; I find nose breathing difficult when going fast, but when the air is really cold, I prefer to breath in through my nose.
  • Rosalindgr
    Options
    I can't wait to try the different breathing techniques, thanks to all, and its nice to see different breathing techniques are being used.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I personally inhale through the nose and breath out through my mouth on the third foot stomp, but that's just personal preference. As for starting to jog/run, have you tried the Couch to 5k Running Plan? I'm finishing week 6 now and it's really helped me out, There's an app for your phone and even a group for it on here. Google it :)
  • big_eye
    big_eye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated a short run into my long walks as I have been feeling like my HR is not putting out as much or has been developing and getting used to the cardio... I can only run a short short distance but I hope to increase the running and eventually run this walk out...

Yes you must be able to talk or sing while walking or running, you will recognize this as you try and sing along with your MP3s :sick:

baby steps Rosalindgr :wink:

To build endurance you need to run for a long time but as a beginner you might find this difficult so you could run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 minute; slowly increasing the length of time you run.
    You'll know you have a good endurance building pace when you can maintain a conversation while you're running. If you can't then you're running too fast for endurance runs.
    When I'm doing a distance run I breathe in, hold for 2 steps and breathe out. Maintaining control over your breathing is as essential as a good stride. Once you lose control of your breathing you need to walk until you have control of it again.

Some people claim breathing through your nose or mouth will make a difference but I don't believe it. If it really made a difference then we wouldn't have the ability to breathe through the one that wasn't efficient (or so evolution would have us believe)
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    try to kep your upper body still - the more you move the more the muscles around your lungs require oxygen and the more your chest will work to get it. I find if I twist my upper body too much I get tight and need bigger breathes. Since I was given this advice I can now run steady kms without suffering part way into the run of shortness of breath.

But I agree that in through the nose and out through the mouth doesnt generally work. Not for me anyway. Im and in and out through the mough kind of girl (seriously Im not sure how I havent yet eaten a bug!)
  • Rosalindgr
    Options
    I personally inhale through the nose and breath out through my mouth on the third foot stomp, but that's just personal preference. As for starting to jog/run, have you tried the Couch to 5k Running Plan? I'm finishing week 6 now and it's really helped me out, There's an app for your phone and even a group for it on here. Google it :)

Thanks gonna download today!
  • Rosalindgr
    Options
    try to kep your upper body still - the more you move the more the muscles around your lungs require oxygen and the more your chest will work to get it. I find if I twist my upper body too much I get tight and need bigger breathes. Since I was given this advice I can now run steady kms without suffering part way into the run of shortness of breath.

But I agree that in through the nose and out through the mouth doesnt generally work. Not for me anyway. Im and in and out through the mough kind of girl (seriously Im not sure how I havent yet eaten a bug!)

Lol! i started yesterday at a park with a lake near my home; I kept thinking those tiny flying things were going to go in my mouth too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My breathing will vary with the pace I'm trying to hit for a particular run.

For my slower (endurance) runs I'll count foot falls - 4 in and 4 out, faster paced runs 2 in 2 out. If you've got a running buddy the conversation test is a good way to maintain a comfortable pace.

One of the keys is to keep relaxed but breathe deeply (without feeling like you're gasping for air) you want to ensure that you're expelling as much co2 as possible when breathing out.
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I too would recommend the Couch to 5k programme. It takes you through 9 weeks starting on week 1 where you jog for 60 seconds and then walk for a few mins before jogging again. Once you complete each podcast 3 times you move on to the next week (with a rest day in between).
    Each week is a different duration of walking and running. Nice and gradual up to about week 5, which is when things get "serious", but you are ready for it; and by week 9 you are jogging for a solid 30 mins.

As for breathing, after a while I get into a rythm of exhaling with my foot as others have said, however I generally do not breathe in through nose as I dont feel I get enough breath. Find what works for you is the honest answer.

Good luck
    -x-
  • Rosalindgr
    Options

Lol! i started yesterday at a park with a lake near my home; I kept thinking those tiny flying things were going to go in my mouth too.
  • pozitivenergy816
    pozitivenergy816 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thanks gonna download today!

Good question! I've wanted to know the same thing. I downloaded and started c25k yesterday :-)
  • Rosalindgr
    Options
    I too would recommend the Couch to 5k programme. It takes you through 9 weeks starting on week 1 where you jog for 60 seconds and then walk for a few mins before jogging again. Once you complete each podcast 3 times you move on to the next week (with a rest day in between).
    Each week is a different duration of walking and running. Nice and gradual up to about week 5, which is when things get "serious", but you are ready for it; and by week 9 you are jogging for a solid 30 mins.

As for breathing, after a while I get into a rythm of exhaling with my foot as others have said, however I generally do not breathe in through nose as I dont feel I get enough breath. Find what works for you is the honest answer.

Good luck

Tahnk you that sounds like how I'll feel comfortable running; a rhythmic type of breathing. Definitley downloading that book.
    -x-
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am also a breathe in and out thru my mouth guy. I was kind of interested in the different breathing techniques mentioned. But I would also suggest taking the running slow. I started out on a very slow jog and i did a walk to run program i got from runners world. It started with a run for 1 minute and walk for 5 and repeated 5 times and did that 3 times a week and then the next week ran for 2 minutes and walk for 4 minutes and repeated 5 times. This slowly builds your body legs, back, arms and lungs. As you stick with it your lungs and breathing will become less laborious. The long and short of it is starting out running is challenging but so worth it. So stick with it and let us know when it is becoming more difficult so we can encourage you. Because when you are able to run for a full 30 minutes without stopping you will be so excited that you were able to accomplish it. Keep it up! Its better to jog slow and be able to do the whole workout then to run to fast and not be able to finish it or worse stress your muscles to much and not be able to go back out the next time.
  • R_Sheets_RI_bike_commuter
    Options
    My breathing will vary with the pace I'm trying to hit for a particular run.

For my slower (endurance) runs I'll count foot falls - 4 in and 4 out, faster paced runs 2 in 2 out. If you've got a running buddy the conversation test is a good way to maintain a comfortable pace.

One of the keys is to keep relaxed but breathe deeply (without feeling like you're gasping for air) you want to ensure that you're expelling as much co2 as possible when breathing out.

this is my preference, the whole mouth nose thing doesn't bother me. make sure your foot strike is comfortable also ;)
  • Rosalindgr
    Options
    I am also a breathe in and out thru my mouth guy. I was kind of interested in the different breathing techniques mentioned. But I would also suggest taking the running slow. I started out on a very slow jog and i did a walk to run program i got from runners world. It started with a run for 1 minute and walk for 5 and repeated 5 times and did that 3 times a week and then the next week ran for 2 minutes and walk for 4 minutes and repeated 5 times. This slowly builds your body legs, back, arms and lungs. As you stick with it your lungs and breathing will become less laborious. The long and short of it is starting out running is challenging but so worth it. So stick with it and let us know when it is becoming more difficult so we can encourage you. Because when you are able to run for a full 30 minutes without stopping you will be so excited that you were able to accomplish it. Keep it up! Its better to jog slow and be able to do the whole workout then to run to fast and not be able to finish it or worse stress your muscles to much and not be able to go back out the next time.

hi blan!! I know what you mean I started yesturday with a couple 1-2 min run inbetween walking; when I went to work last night I could hardly walk, so today I wont run just maybe walk the dog and do some florr work
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    hi I just started walking/jogging, i walk 2 to 3 xweek on a regular, I would like to start jogging/running,. i've heard breathing a certain way might help build endurance and help me to jog longer. Is the proper technique to inhale thru your nose and blow out thru your mouth? Or inhaling and exhaling thru mouth. Any suggestions.

It's not a question of breathing as much as it is keeping your upper body relaxed.

Physiologically, there is no special breathing technique that will enhance your running--other than a whole mental approach that will keep you relaxed -- as mentioned above.

If you work hard enough, you have to breathe through your nose and mouth--physically you cannot ventilate (take in air) at a high enough volume by just breathing through your nose -- and even if you could, there is no point to doing so.