Which is better heart rate monitor or fitbit?

Options
I have been wanting to purchase a heart rate monitor - or something to get a better idea of exactly how many calories I really am burning. On this site in the tools section they suggest the fitbit. I want to spend my money wisely. Does anyone have one of these fitbit ? Does it even tell you your heart rate? I am a little confused?

Any advice here might help me! I always have a hard time with making decisions- especially on purchases.

Replies

• londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was thinking the same,i just bough a cheap heart rate monitor with chest strap, as i am going to start exercising and want to track my cals accurately and see how my here rate changes as i get fitter.
    considering getting a fit bit when i reach my goal/for my birthday maybe, it does look pretty impressive and considering the rice of other HRM like polar ft4...it's not too expensive
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awesome question! I want to buy a fitbit myself, and would love feedback on them!
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new Polar FT4 and I love it! I was counting WAY to many calories for my workouts. I considered the fitbit but glad I got the FT4.
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I never leave home without my HRM. Mine has the strap and figures out my cals based on my actual heart rate. Hopefully, someone can tell you about the fitbit.
  • hpillion
    hpillion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a friend at work that bought the fitbit and she said she wouldn't buy it again.. really she just uses the basic hr monitor. So I bought a Sportline HR monitor with a chest band. I LOVE IT!!!!! It cost me around $130 dollars... it is very accurate and I feel like I have a better understanding of my true calorie burn. The only downfall is its not easy to navigate through sometimes-- it has many features I don't use b/c I'm not a rocket scientist...but the basic calories burn "EXCERCISE" feature has made it a worthy investment.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have both a Fitbit ultra and a FT7 HRM. I love the fitbit and wear it all day everyday. It records steps, calories, flights of stairs and sleep patterns. However, the Fitbit does not monitor your heart rate so when your doing intensive exersize, it can not record the calories accurately - it just records whatever movement that seems like a 'step'... Imagine if you were on a spin bike, it would probably record no steps but you would be working really hard! Same with weights ect...

I use the HRM when im working out and the fitbit for incidental daily activity...

I doubt you'd want to wear the HRM all day - the chest strap could get annoying plus the batteries would wear out quickly. They're only really designed for workouts where you turn them on at the start and turn it off once your finished :happy:

Hope that helps...
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just did a post on this very thing-- as I bought a Polar F1 in the past. I LOVE that . but, it doesn't give me calories burned. I didn't want to spend the extra money..it case I didnt keep up with the excercise programs. But, I am getting a Polar FT40--and have had lots of Support from folks--and GOOD reviews on the Polar FT4 and/or FT40. If you go out to their website there is a "live chat" you can do with a rep to get suggestions. AND there is a comparison chart to show you the differences in each of their watches. It was very helpful to me. I THOUGHT I wanted to track distance too.. but, the foot pod was another $100--- out of my budget! Fit Bit.. I don't know anything about it. One thing.. check to see if it shows you calories on the device. I think my friend has one---and she has to go back to her computer to find her calories burned.

I posted the website for the Polar info below.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft40.html#
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I believe the HRMs are really good to monitor your exercise calories; but many of them are really not suited to monitor calories all day (you need a chest strap, etc)

The Fitbit is really good at monitoring calories when you walk or run for exercise. But if you don't move as much the legs (weights, etc) then it is not very accurate.
    However, the Fitbit is meant to be worn all day, and even the night ! And you can check sleep patterns, etc.
    And it is synched with MFP !

So the answer depends on what calories you want to monitor.
    If you want all day calories, and your main exercise is walk or run, by all means the Fitbit is the answer IMHO.
    But if you exercise a lot in other than running/walking, a HRM is the way to go.

Some MFP users actuall have both a HRM and the Fitbit ! :bigsmile:
    That way they get both worlds.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have both a Fitbit ultra and a FT7 HRM. I love the fitbit and wear it all day everyday. It records steps, calories, flights of stairs and sleep patterns. However, the Fitbit does not monitor your heart rate so when your doing intensive exersize, it can not record the calories accurately - it just records whatever movement that seems like a 'step'... Imagine if you were on a spin bike, it would probably record no steps but you would be working really hard! Same with weights ect...

I use the HRM when im working out and the fitbit for incidental daily activity...

I doubt you'd want to wear the HRM all day - the chest strap could get annoying plus the batteries would wear out quickly. They're only really designed for workouts where you turn them on at the start and turn it off once your finished :happy:

Hope that helps...

No wonder the girl in my spin class said she thought she burned 250 calories. !! She has the fit bit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM but I've also considered getting a FitBit as they're really 2 different things. I could see the FitBit as being very useful for getting a better idea of that your TDEE is on a rest day - but I don't know if I'm curious enough to spend another $100 :wink:
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well I have and use both.

Fitbit counts calories based on how much you move around. So for general calorie counting when not exercising they are fantastic. It is like wearing a HRM all day, however it calculates based on how much you are moving around. Sitting down working out does not get the HRM calories you would have expected. So when exercising that does not involve moving around (e.g. weights training, or swimming as the Fitbit is not waterproof) a HRM can be used to calculate calories.

When you enter the HRM calories in MFP you need to add the time you started the exercise. The calories entered are sent to Fitbit to override the calories it thinks you did. So if you leave the Fitbit by the pool, swim 30 min and calculate the calories to 300 KCal your Fitbit will only show 50 KCal (the amount you burn doing nothing but living) so once entered in MFP for the time you will see the HRM calories displayed and added to the Fitbit records (of course this does not change the steps you have taken).

Then for the whole day (whenever you sync the Fitbit to their website, the calories calculated above for the day are compared to the calories entered in MFP, any additional calories are added to MFP as a Fitbit adjustment. I have my MFP settings as sedatory because I sit behind a desk all day. MFP thinks this means I need 1800 KCal per day. If I do no exercise this should be correct. If I am moving around and not sedatory on a day the Fitbit tells MFP I have burnt however many extra calories and adds say 400 KCal to MFP as though I logged an exercise.

If all this is getting a little confusing please friend me to look at my Exercise logs.
  • Peta22
    Options

Hope that helps...

No wonder the girl in my spin class said she thought she burned 250 calories. !! She has the fit bit.

I guess your 'up and down' movement on the spin bike would register as a step but it certainly wouldn't be a clear indication of how hard you were actually working! The Fitbits are basically a pedometer on steriods - they really cant compare to a HRM for recording your workouts.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    If you are just going to walk,for exercise,the Fitbit is fine. But if you want to keep track while doing other types of exercise,the Polar HRM's are the best choice. :-)
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46
    Options

Hope that helps...

That really does help!! So It seems if I want the BEST of both worlds I need to buy both!! Thanks!
  • Peta22
    Options

Hope that helps...

That really does help!! So It seems if I want the BEST of both worlds I need to buy both!! Thanks!

Yey! I helped!! :happy:
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Another thumbs up for the Polar FT4. I got one at christmas and it is great. It tells me my heart rate, cals burned etc for the workout I have just done (which, as a previous poster mentioned, was far less than I had been calculating using the machine's estimate or mfp's). It does all I need it to do and wasn't expensive at all. :)
  • Yacki
    Options
    I believe the HRMs are really good to monitor your exercise calories; but many of them are really not suited to monitor calories all day (you need a chest strap, etc)

The Fitbit is really good at monitoring calories when you walk or run for exercise. But if you don't move as much the legs (weights, etc) then it is not very accurate.
    However, the Fitbit is meant to be worn all day, and even the night ! And you can check sleep patterns, etc.
    And it is synched with MFP !

So the answer depends on what calories you want to monitor.
    If you want all day calories, and your main exercise is walk or run, by all means the Fitbit is the answer IMHO.
    But if you exercise a lot in other than running/walking, a HRM is the way to go.

Some MFP users actuall have both a HRM and the Fitbit ! :bigsmile:
    That way they get both worlds.

Thank you !! This seems very logical and easy to understand. When I was looking at the website on the fitbit - it really did not spell it out like this!! Not confused anymore!!!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    FITBIT I purchased my brand new and it wont sync all the makers say is keep readding programme?
    For £80 Im abit disgusted with the replies.
  • Yacki
    Options
    If you are just going to walk,for exercise,the Fitbit is fine. But if you want to keep track while doing other types of exercise,the Polar HRM's are the best choice. :-)

Thank you -Larry !! I am grateful for all of your wisdom!! Can I request your insight on other future purchases!!LOL
  • neilglickWECHANGED
    Options
    I have both the Fitbit and an HRM. The Fitbit is excellent in tracking steps and floors and distance travelled BUT the HRM is better at recording calories expended when doing weights or circuits or on a stationery bike or cross-trainer or rower.