My Running Victory!

Options
So today I can officially say I ran 5k non-stop! :laugh:

Yesterday I ran the same distance, but I didn't have my tracker with me so I couldn't be sure! But it feel so good to know for sure!

I did not use any apps, as I has no smart phone. I got into walking consistently in January, and added in a bit of jogging, slowly; when it felt right. I'm planning on entering my first official event in May, for a 4k Mothers Day fun run... And I'm excited! :laugh:

NB: what would you say is the difference between running and jogging? To me, running is faster that jogging; but it is something that you need to work at to get faster...
It feels a bit awkward to say: "Oh, hey by the way.... I ran for 5 kilometers today! Oh well, really it was more like a jog, because I'm not fast...."
Or can one just say "I just ran 5K!" - and still sound legit without having to add a disclaimer? :cry:

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how long it took you...you did it!! You did a 5k!! :)
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!

And I agree....running is running no matter how fast or slow do it. :) You totally ran a 5K!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    Ok... I have to ask. Are you a balloon artist, too?
  • darrindlb
    darrindlb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last April and I ran my first Half Marathon last Sunday. Don't worry about speed just concentrate on finishing. A class called Couch to 5K help me to run my first 5K. Make sure to care of your feet with good running shoes.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement and replies! It makes me glad to know I don't need a disclaimer :laugh:

And yes I am Lesle1 :happy: I go by the name A Rainbow of Balloons http://www.arainbowofballoons.com/ would love to visit yours!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Cool! Nice to meet you!!! Cool site!
    I'll have to look longer when I get back. I'm on my way to Harrisburg, to a board meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Clown Association. We're getting ready for our November convention. : )

I'm Snippy Doodles! http://www.snippydoodles.com
  • mousecat84
    Options
    You have some awesome balloon creations! I love your birds :love: I'd love to visit an American convention one day, it would be so amazing! Good luck with your preparations!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Great job, and whether it was a run or a jog who cares!
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Congrats!

You can totally say you ran a 5k without adding a disclaimer, it doesn't matter how fast or slow...YOU DID IT!!!
  • t1sh
    t1sh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me too . First time today : ) Well done us !!! ( Feels good doesn't it ? )
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!! I've done the distance on a treadmill but not in a race without having to stop and walk, but hopefully my next one I will!

I don't have the quote handy, but someone posted on here recently what is running and running is moving your body at ANY pace faster than a walk. So you ran! Speed doesnt matter!
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    well done!! i am starting couch to 5k today so hopefully in 9 weeks i can say the same thing !!
    :happy:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I gave up after day 3 of week 2. I am soooo going to try and do it again now!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Congrats!

As long as both feet are off the ground at the same time between foot strikes, it's running. It doesn't matter how fast you go. If both feet are usually on the ground, it's walking.

I didn't know until yesterday that race walking is an Olympic event.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Thanks you guys! t1sh, that's so awesome! Yay us indeed :bigsmile:

Love that quote, Eric! That is something I needed to read, love it!

And best of luck to you Char, but I know you can and will do it!!
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I, too, stuggled with calling myself a "runner". As I built up to 5K, I would walk for a couple of minutes in the middle so I felt I was coming up short. However, then I read a quote..."I run, that makes me a runner". So, no matter how fast you go, it is still 5K...and YES, that makes you a RUNNER! Way to go!
  • mousecat84
    Options
    MFP definitely needs a 'like' button! Everyone who has posted is awesome and I thank you all so much, for not only the congratulations, but information to put my doubts to rest :laugh:

Go Bluefox! You can surely do it :happy: I was surprised at my transition in distance .... Less than a month ago I was only running for intervals of 1 min or so, thinking it would take forever to go further; and went on to run a 1k distance in what seemed like no time at all!

Athensguy, love that trivia, thank you!

And dadeys, glad to know that it wasn't just my mind playing mind games on me! Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    congratulations!! :)
    running is terribly addictive--and a great calorie burner too ;)

"What does it mean to be a runner? Simply that you run. 'To move legs quickly,' says the Oxford English Dictionary. '(the one foot being lifted before the other is set down) so as to go at a faster pace than walking; to cover ground, make one's way, rapidly in this manner.' Now consider what the dictionary says about jogging: 'To move up and down or to and fro with a heavy unsteady motion; to move on at a heavy or labored pace, to trudge.' Is that the kind of activity you see yourself doing? No. You don't jog - you run. It doesn't matter how fast, how far, or how often you run, if you're moving faster than you would if you were walking, you are a runner. Not all (people) believe this about themselves, however."
    ~ "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is awesome,congrats. gives me HOPE. I started my C25K this week and so far so good. Im hoping to be able to do a 5k run in may but if to early then ill be doing the one in June. Im so excited. and jogging/running same thing...just be proud you finished.;)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Whoo, congrats! Great job :-D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!