Muay Thai Kickboxing - Am I crazy??

Options
So, I came across a deal this morning for a 10-class pass at a Muay Thai academy for a great price. For some reason I'm really thinking about it.... I haven't done anything like this for at least 12 years (took kick-boxing in University), concentrating more on the cardio workouts - spinning, running, etc. I'd love to do something like this to tone up, but am I crazy to jump into real martial arts??

I would have until mid-December to use it, so I could wait until I'm down to my current goal weight (150lbs) to actually start, or I could start now (188lbs) to help me along.

Has anyone tried this before? Did you like it? Would you recommend trying it now or waiting until I lose a bit more?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    my father and 7 year old brother do it and love it!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    double post,whoops.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Oh, I should maybe mention that I'm a 5'6.5" woman. Apparently this gym is about a 50/50 split between male and female members.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband took muay thai for several years and loved it. It uses a lot of moves that are forbidden in traditional tournaments, such as knees, elbows, shins ect. Depending on your instructor and class it tends to focus on bone strengthening and damage dealing attacks. It can be a very brutal section of martial arts but it's also the most dangerous for your opponent.

One of the masters of Muay Thai took out 6 grand masters of kung foo by knock out each under sixty seconds.

So my suggestion is go use that free pass. Get a feel for your class, get a feel for your instructor. If you like it, continue. If not, don't. Nothing hurt by trying it out though.
  • BethTucker
    BethTucker Posts: 21
    Options
    I do both kickboxing and karate, with freestyle sparring (aka fighting). I LOVE it. You don't have to be in shape to do it because you can modify when you need to. I think you should definitely do it, it will completely empower you and get you into fighting shape.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I would say, try it, cos until you do, you won't know if you'll like it or not. And it's a free pass, nothing to lose.

So much depends on how you feel in the class and the instructor taking the class. Took me 2 years to pluck up the courage to go to Tae Kwon Do :) I go 3 times a week now and love it.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That sounds like A LOT of fun! I am thinking of doing something like that when the kids go back to school. I really think it will help to keep you motivated. Sounds like an awesome workout!
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I did MMA for about a year and loved it! The school I went to was also 50/50 ratio and mixed ages and sizes. Marial Arts is a great confidence booster and you will learn new things and new people as well as getting in fun exercise.

Especially if you have a great discount... Martail arts is a procey sport so getting 10 cheap classes is awesome.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Thanks for the push, all - I just took the plunge and bought it! Their drop-in price is $20/class (1.5 hours) and the deal was $30 for 10 classes. So, even if I hate it, if I go twice it will have been worth a try.

Now I will be very nervous before my first class!! I'll finish my 30-Day Shred first to at least firm up a bit before I get there.
  • lilCrummie
    lilCrummie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i currently do muay thao boxing and have done for few years now i love it your not crazy awsome way to drop weight and meet new freinds ive met great bunch of friends through Thai boxing go for it girl:wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Use it to get into shape!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've done Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing before getting into Muay Thai.

When I got into Muay Thai, I hadn't exercised in over a year.

It will kick your butt in a good way!
    Be careful with the knees and elbows.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It could be they do a kickboxing class at the place and it isn't full on Muay Thai...I say this because I take a Kickboxing class at a Martial Arts place and it gives a good workout...we do mainly bags -

anyway I do Crossfit that shares space with a Muay Thai / Brazilian Jitjsu (sp??) place and they have a Kickboxing class as well...doesn't look that much different then what I do at my place except they have hanging bags and they do a bit more shadow sparring with partners...

I adore my kickboxing - so much so I asked for my own bag for my birthday so I could do punches and kicks at home (and get my kids into it as well - exercise for thier little bodies...tire them out so they go to sleep :) )
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Twinmom: The major differences are they allow knee and elbow strikes, as well as kicks to the legs/knees.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Twinmom: The major differences are they allow knee and elbow strikes, as well as kicks to the legs/knees.

I do knee/elbow as well as roundhouse and push kicks in my kickboxing class...I was just pointing out that it may not be as scary as she thinks it may be...i.e. just the name Muy Thai
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've just started Muay Thai kickboxing and I love it :) we don't have to start sparring until much later, right now it's about getting the technique right and enjoying pummeling the stress away! I'm already looking forward to next week's session, I wish it was more often!

So yes, def, try the 10 trip trial!!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Go for it and it will help get you to your goal weight!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Dude, have you seen Ong Bak: Thai Warrior???

GO LEARN SOME EFFIN' MUAY THAI. YOU WILL BE SO BADASS -. LIKE TONY JAA.

DOOOO ITTTTTT. O_O
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do it.

Its as simple as that.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just like one lady said, they do focus on bone strengthening, not sure how hardcore the teacher is or how fast they have you progress but I know my roomate was spending lots of time repeatedly hitting shins, feet and elbows on hard surfaces. You build up some gnarley calouses. He was training very intensly though.