HRM - again...sorry

Options
I know there have been alot of threads about HRM's but I am still a bit confused. I seen some threads about how the calorie tracking on treadmills are not accurate and a HRM would be better. So im looking to get one, I mostly workout at the gym and treadmills, bikes and weight machines and I go walking around the neighborhood after dinner so I want one that would be able to tell me how many calories I'm burning while doing this. I also dont want to spend $200, so I was looking into the Polar FT4, its on sale but just wondering if this would work for my workouts. Any advice is appreciated thanks =]

Replies

• courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of a month agonizing over which HRM to buy...I ended up just getting it over and buying a polar ft7 (only because it wasn't a ton more than the ft4 and stored more workouts)...Honestly, I'd just get it. I love mine...it has everything I need--chest strap, waterproof, fairly simple to use, and it gives me my workout calories.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes, this would work.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    you'd better be sorry.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I ended up going with the ft4. I find it has everything I need! It's very basic and easy to use...but I think the ft7is probably more bang for your buck.
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The machine calories burned are programmed to show way over. Not all HRM's are that expensive. I just purchased a women's polar for around $60 from Amazon. It was well worth it. MFP's database is close on the estimated calories burned but it's different for everyone. Even a 20 + or - difference can make a difference at the end of the day. An investment in a HRM would be a wise choice.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just get a $100 dollar one if you want to spend less. It will TRANSFORM YOUR WORKOUT!! Do it. I love my HRM.
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too. There are so many of them out there and such a large price range. It's definitely difficult to figure out which one to pick.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just got a new FT4 and yes it does work, I love it! That being said ...you will see a differance in what treadmill calculators and the HRM says. The HRM is way more accurate.
  • LisaManySongs
    Options
    I have the ft7 which I love. I got it for a resonable price on amazon.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I also spent a month in buying and exchanging heart rate monitors until I got it right and I was looking to keep it under $120. I bought and stuck with the Polar FT40 and have not looked back. I'm thrilled and I bought it for about $100. on amazon. I had the FT4 also. I loved it also but I wanted the v02max(fitness test option also which is on the ft40.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    I do what you do and I LOVE my Polar FT4. It works just fine. You dont need a FT7. I spent days agonizing that choice.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    The machine calories burned are programmed to show way over. Not all HRM's are that expensive. I just purchased a women's polar for around $60 from Amazon. It was well worth it. MFP's database is close on the estimated calories burned but it's different for everyone. Even a 20 + or - difference can make a difference at the end of the day. An investment in a HRM would be a wise choice.

I found my treadmill was severely UNDERestimating my calories!
  • TheWinman
    Options

I found my treadmill was severely UNDERestimating my calories!

Some of the stairmasters at my gym underestimate. When I record my cardio I always just take the lower calorie burned number.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think Ill go with the polar FT4, they have it on the bodytronics website for a sale price of $61.88 so if anyone else is looking for one try there =]
  • TheWinman
    Options
    That is a real good price, enjoy!!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    that is a good price - but does anyone know about this website?
    i'm thinking of getting it too :P
  • TheWinman
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think Ill go with the polar FT4, they have it on the bodytronics website for a sale price of $61.88 so if anyone else is looking for one try there =]

You might also consider purchasing (if not now, down the road) the usb docking station for your polar HRM. You just place the HRM face down on the docking station and it's transfers all of your workout information to the polar fitness website which has your workout diary. The polar website also has wonderful challenges created by yourself or other users and when you sync the polar HRM it automatically updates how you're doing on the challenges. Great stuff.