Insight and Opinions needed..

Options
Hello all,
So I had been steadily losing weight..and was so close to my goal, but suddenly began gaining weight. I workout with a trainer and workout 6 days a week. I have played with calories, switched up exercises, etc..I'm gaining weight. I am ashamed of myself and so sad..I have been going at this for almost 2 years and feel like I am going backwards..I'm not comfortable posting what I have gained because I know people on here IRL..am I doomed to be a blob? I have made a doctor's appointment but it's not for a couple of weeks..A typical workout schedule is:
Sunday- Zumba (60)

Monday- Cardio Circuit (60)
Zumba (60)

Tuesday- Run (45-60)

Wednesday- Boot camp (60)

Thursday- Pt (30)
Kick and core (60)
Zumba (60)

Friday- off

Saturday- Zumba (60)
Boot Camp (60)

I have already paid for all of my classes and I am running to get ready for a 5K...running is new for me..

I am eating between 1600-1800 calories and am always stuffed..

Has anyone had any success with a lower carb like south beach?

Please be nice, I really can't take any insults or mean words tonight :(

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining weight every week or is it like you've gained 1 or 2 pounds?

Off the top of my head, I'd say switch things up. Change your exercise routine. Reduce the amount of salt you add to food. Play around with low carb to see if it works. Cycle your calories to see if you start losing again.
  • Lee510
    Lee510 Posts: 46
    Options
    If anyone would say something insulting or unkind, I would wish the fleas of a thousand camels would infest their armpits!:laugh:

I don't have a solution for your weight gain. Sounds like you're working out plenty and eating enough calories. What kind of foods are you eating? High carbs, fat, etc. would be the culprits I'd look at first.

Sorry I don't have more knowledge to pass on, but I hope this helps.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to not focus so much on weight if you're close to your goal. Add in some strength training. Cardio is great but you need the strength training as well. You can try going low carb but I wouldn't really do anything to your diet that you aren't willing to do forever. Maybe try getting more carbs from fruits and vegetables instead of from grains?
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    could it be your gaining muscle after losing all the fat?? Are you sitll losing inches?? inches are really what matter
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I wish it was only 2 pounds..I wouldn't obsess over that..my maximum fat is 35 grams a day, protein 40-80 grams a day normally..
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are eating but more processed food could be holding you back. Try switching them for lean meats lots of vegies things like that. Do you know what your net calories are? Maybe you need to up them on your heavy workout days, Or talk to a nutritionist and see what a professional suggests. (By the way you are doing ghreat your work out schedule is a beast!!! <----being a beast is a good thing)
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for PCOS? Another option is have you tried a gluten free diet? I am thinking of some things that have happened to some of my girlfriends that have made them gain weight that was hard to detect at first. PCOS I believe makes you insulin resistant and makes you gain and I believe gluten has something to do with digestion and how you break things down. Please don't quote me on either of those two things.

I am not a doctor. I really think at this point you need to see a physician and I know you said your physician is not worried (I am one of your MFP friends so I know this has been on your mind). I work in the healthcare field and work with 27 internal medicine physicians and I believe that anyone of them would say get a second opinion and I would think that if your physician is really a good physician he would support you getting a second opinion as well.
  • MissMandroid
    MissMandroid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your typical routine. I notice the best results when I do different kinds of exercises, especially if I add heavy weights to a routine. Try a yoga class, pilates, or maybe a spin class... Adding weights to your routine will also help. Perhaps switch out on of your zumba routines for one day of serious weightlifting a week....I bet you will get back on track in no time. Please don't lose hope; you are doing fantastic, and you look terrific!
  • angel79202
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are eating but more processed food could be holding you back. Try switching them for lean meats lots of vegies things like that. Do you know what your net calories are? Maybe you need to up them on your heavy workout days, Or talk to a nutritionist and see what a professional suggests. (By the way you are doing ghreat your work out schedule is a beast!!! <----being a beast is a good thing)

The only processed thing that i usually do is my zone bar a day and since it's my only chocolate..taking it away would make me sad..lol
  • angel79202
    Options
    Have you been tested for PCOS? Another option is have you tried a gluten free diet? I am thinking of some things that have happened to some of my girlfriends that have made them gain weight that was hard to detect at first. PCOS I believe makes you insulin resistant and makes you gain and I believe gluten has something to do with digestion and how you break things down. Please don't quote me on either of those two things.

I am not a doctor. I really think at this point you need to see a physician and I know you said your physician is not worried (I am one of your MFP friends so I know this has been on your mind). I work in the healthcare field and work with 27 internal medicine physicians and I believe that anyone of them would say get a second opinion and I would think that if your physician is really a good physician he would support you getting a second opinion as well.

I know you're my friend :)
    Thanks, gluten free would be so hard since I really only do chicken, I have a doctor's appointment scheduled on 4/16 (I pass out when blood is drawn so I had to make sure I was off work)..

I e-mailed a nutritionist I found online last night..hopefully I find one!
  • angel79202
    Options
    Try changing up your typical routine. I notice the best results when I do different kinds of exercises, especially if I add heavy weights to a routine. Try a yoga class, pilates, or maybe a spin class... Adding weights to your routine will also help. Perhaps switch out on of your zumba routines for one day of serious weightlifting a week....I bet you will get back on track in no time. Please don't lose hope; you are doing fantastic, and you look terrific!

I life heavy in cardio circuit for 30 minutes, and Thursdays I lift in PT
    some lifting in boot camp,, probably another 30 total between those two days

We don't have spin classes, wish we did!

I can't do yoga without giggling for some reason..I know..I'm ridiculous..lol
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'd say lay off the cardio and focus more on weights. Heavy weights. I'm reading a book now called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's very good!

Do you measure yourself? The scale is not the best barometer of our progress.

What kinds of food do you usually eat? Do you track your sodium intake? You might need to eat more, not less, if you're exercising that much.

I take it you've been on the receiving end of some rude comments here before, but I think most MFPers are very nice and supportive! Let us put our heads together for you and see what we can come up with! :)
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

The only processed thing that i usually do is my zone bar a day and since it's my only chocolate..taking it away would make me sad..lol

Then do not take away that Zone bar! Don't have many suggestions either as from the info you're providing, looks good to me - however, please do not give up!! I've been there, lost lots, gave up because the scale went up for awhile, and then the real gain began. My only suggestions might be some strength training, getting tests done to ensure its not a medical issue (you may have to insist on those if your doctor isn't concerned - I have one of those doctors too), switching things up a bit for awhile (food wise), or talking to a nutritionist as mentioned above. Good Luck to you!!!
  • angel79202
    Options
    I'd say lay off the cardio and focus more on weights. Heavy weights. I'm reading a book now called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's very good!

Do you measure yourself? The scale is not the best barometer of our progress.

What kinds of food do you usually eat? Do you track your sodium intake? You might need to eat more, not less, if you're exercising that much.

I take it you've been on the receiving end of some rude comments here before, but I think most MFPers are very nice and supportive! Let us put our heads together for you and see what we can come up with! :)

Thanks! I just paid for all of these classes so i will stick with them but maybe I can sneak more weights in..my 5K is 2 weeks from Sunday, so I have to keep running

.. I do track sodium usually between 1500-2000.

i max the fat at 35 grams

Usually processed wise, I do have a zone bar, sometimes a fruit leather, dried fruit

snacks are usually fruits and veggies

lunch is usually either a salad with grilled chicken or a wrap with grilled chicken

dinner salad with chicken, rice and chicken, veggies, something along those lines

once in a while low fat frozen yogurt..etc

today was more carby than usual since i can't have meat today :)
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    LOL to giggling in yoga class. You sound like a blast to be with.

I think you are doing everything you are suppose to. I really do! I think you will get your answers once you meet with your doctor and your nutritionist.
  • angel79202
    Options
    LOL to giggling in yoga class. You sound like a blast to be with.

I think you are doing everything you are suppose to. I really do! I think you will get your answers once you meet with your doctor and your nutritionist.

Knowing people on here IRL is hard..otherwise I may post what the gain is...or have the diary completely open..I do have trust issues..

But if I get told one more time to stop starving my body...gonna scream!

Yoga..I just can't take it serious..don't know why..I can't stop laughing..
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How about increasing your calorie intake by 100-200 cals a day? Yes, I said increase :smile: Since you're so active you may not be eating enough, which could be slowing down your metabolism.

I broke my most recent plateau (my 3rd since 1/15/11) by increasing my cals.

Oh and what's IRL? I've never seen that :)
  • angel79202
    Options
    How about increasing your calorie intake by 100-200 cals a day? Yes, I said increase :smile: Since you're so active you may not be eating enough, which could be slowing down your metabolism.

I broke my most recent plateau (my 3rd since 1/15/11) by increasing my cals.

Oh and what's IRL? I've never seen that :)

sorry IRL is in real life...I have friends on here..and it's none of their business what I weigh :)
  • andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe read Jillian micheals Making the Cut. It talks about loosing the last few pounds. I know she always says its a lot different loosing the first part of the weight.
  • angel79202
    Options
    well I cut my carbs down and I'm cranky and hungry :)