Over 45 and needing to loose 100 lbs

Options
I am an active middle aged female needing to loose 100 lbs. I had foot surgery almost a year ago and am finally being able to stay mobil. I work 2 jobs and find it hard to cook healthy meals. If I can get some help in planning healthy meals for my family it would be wonderful. I also have a meal budget so that makes it difficult. My health is great for a woman of my size, so I figured I should get the weight under control before I reach 50. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• RDHY2K
    RDHY2K Posts: 8
    Options
    I am almost in the same boat. I am 48 and need/want to loose 75 lbs. My health is good considering my weight and age.
    Posting here is the start.

As far as meals. Now that my kids are out of the house. I make up crock pot meals and pre freeze them.

I will put into a freezer bag a Chicken Breast, some raw veggies, like carrots, potatoes, onion etc... and then add some marinate, low sodium. Or you can place in a pork chop, onions, pineapple, green pepper and a sweet marinade. Even buy a cheap piece of beef/roast and cut is up into small portions and place in potatoes,carrots yada yada yada....

These need to be put into freezer bags in individual portions, freeze and in the morning, before work, take one out and put into your crock pot. When you get home....Voila!

preparing a list of meals and a list of groceries helps tremendously with budget. When my kids moved out, my child support stopped. I cut my income in half, so I looked for major ways to save and this has helped. If you have a list, you won't buy stuff you don't need.
    Good luck
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sandradenny :flowerforyou:
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am almost in the same boat. I am 48 and need/want to loose 75 lbs. My health is good considering my weight and age.
    Posting here is the start.

As far as meals. Now that my kids are out of the house. I make up crock pot meals and pre freeze them.

I will put into a freezer bag a Chicken Breast, some raw veggies, like carrots, potatoes, onion etc... and then add some marinate, low sodium. Or you can place in a pork chop, onions, pineapple, green pepper and a sweet marinade. Even buy a cheap piece of beef/roast and cut is up into small portions and place in potatoes,carrots yada yada yada....

These need to be put into freezer bags in individual portions, freeze and in the morning, before work, take one out and put into your crock pot. When you get home....Voila!

preparing a list of meals and a list of groceries helps tremendously with budget. When my kids moved out, my child support stopped. I cut my income in half, so I looked for major ways to save and this has helped. If you have a list, you won't buy stuff you don't need.
    Good luck

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it.
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Freezer Meals are a great way to stay on budget and easy- just set aside one day in the week to prep them all- some people prep for the whole month!
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, I cooked extra chicken or beef and get a few meals out of it. One night have chicken tacos and save the rest for chicken salad or soup.......the beef you can do a grilled hamburgers then do sloppy joes or lettuce cups or anything. I also cut up veggies and store in plastic containers or zip lock and it's easy to throw together a quick stir fry with the left over beef or chicken. Cook up some brown rice and have it on hand....

Do healthy casseroles and freeze to pop in on time restraining nights. Good luck and we are all in this together!
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am over fifty and need to lose 46 more. Friend me and you can see my diary. I plan our meals on Saturdays, shop once a week and eat out once a week. As well as a drink or two, my point being is you can do it. You need family support, if not just do it for yourself. Trust me I waited until 51 for family support, do not put your health at risk for sparing others feelings. I eat close to 1200 each and every day, whether I work out or not. You can do this one pound at a time! I started at over 200, it can be done!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    one thing you could add to help is Shakeology.. I drink one for my breakfast. everyday.. and have lost 11lbs in 4 weeks just by replacing my one meal.
    shakeology is loaded with nutrition goodies
    I would be thrilled to send you more information including the ingredients labels
    also you can friend me on FB....
    http://facebook.com/jkpoirier
    J
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book by Dr. Pamela Peeke. She wrote a weight book for women over 45 years of age. It is a great read, has great
    before and after photos---really takes the perspective of the pre/post menopausal woman.

It is a great book.

Body-for-LIFE for Women: A Woman's Plan for Physical and Mental Transformation [Paperback]
    Dr. Pamela Peeke M.D. M.P.H. F.A.C.P. (Author)
  • fyland
    fyland Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a 51 year old female, 5 "10" and 260. I'd like to lose about 85lbs. I, like the rest of us lead a busy life too but one thing I have found that helps with meal planning is setting aside a few hours once a week and making a big batch of food. Here's what I do. Put the oven at 425. Cut up whatever veggies you like ( use a lot!). I use eggplant,onions, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms ect... Spray with a little Pam and roast them on cookie sheets until cooked and golden. While the veggies are cooking I make a batch of quinoa ( 1 1/2 cups to 3 cups of water) when the veggies are cooked put them in a really large Tupperware container with the quinoa. Then put 6-8 chicken breasts on a cookie sheet. Spray them with Pam and bake for 30 mins at 350. When there done, cut into chunks and add them to the container too. Mix all together. This will give you enough for 8-10 meals. Its really healthy, filling and fast.Great for the freezer too.
  • Gill_L
    Gill_L Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm 55 and have over 100lb to go. You have come to the right place for tips, advice and encouragement. I have only been here a few weeks and wouldn't go anywhere else.

RDHY2K thank you for those ideas I am going to give some a go :)

Feel free to add me :)