BMR and TDEE, still a bit confused....

Options
I have just increased my intake to 1590 which is a tad over my BMR. I also calculated my TDEE at 2501. It was recomended by a fellow MFP friend to eat aleast 80% of your TDEE which puts me at 2000.8. I still a bit lost...should I aim closer to my Tdee of 2000 or continue to eat at my BMR at 1590?

My food diary is open by the way, thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    I heard somewhere that you eat between your TDEE and BMR. Your TDEE is so high that I would probably eat more than what you're eating, but I'm no professional.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have just increased my intake to 1590 which is a tad over my BMR. I also calculated my TDEE at 2501. It was recomended by a fellow MFP friend to eat aleast 80% of your TDEE which puts me at 2000.8. I still a bit lost...should I aim closer to my Tdee of 2000 or continue to eat at my BMR at 1590?

My food diary is open by the way, thanks in advance!!!

you could go 1750 and still be on track for over a lb a week.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    what tools do people use to work these out?

MFP says my BMR is 1640 but what about my TDEE
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Google ;)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    what tools do people use to work these out?

MFP says my BMR is 1640 but what about my TDEE

On MFP it'll be the number on the top right of your goals page that says daily calorie expenditure - but remember that it doe snot take into account exercise.

you could also look at others such as

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Brittanysmith1001
    Brittanysmith1001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, ill stay in the 1500's for my regular days and increase to 1700-1800's on workout days. You guys are great!!!!
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is how many calories per day you need to eat each day and do nothing what so ever! Your basic functioning calorie intake.

TDEE is your daily activity and add's calories to your BMR to give a true reading.

So for instance if you lie in bed all day for 7 days and your BMR is 1,700 calories then eating 1,700 calories each day for 7 days will maintain your weight. Eat 1,200 calories each day for 7 days and you are eating 3,500 calories less per week which is 1 pound and therefore a weight loss.

However, if you are a tour guide for a living and exercise for 3 or 4 nights a week, your activity level is moderate. So if you can eat 1,700 calories every day by staying in bed, the TDEE will calculate how many calories you need for walking all day and doing exercise. So say the result is 2,400 calories per day (Obviously depends on age, height, weight) but lets say that's what it is. Then by eating that many calories you will maintain your current weight. If you want to lose a pound a week, eat 500 calories less per day, 2 pounds eat 1,000 less per day!

To get a more accurate reading for TDEE you need to work out what your daily activity level is!

My trusted BMR website is http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. Enter your details then below the results click on 'daily calorie needs ' Where it then has the information you need to work out your TDEE.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • JohnRalfeo
    JohnRalfeo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • andieb75
    andieb75 Posts: 26
    Options
    OMG I am so glad I starting to understand all this! Eat back calories burned or no? BMI? BMR? TDEE? it has been confusing! but...I think I've got it now. I looked up my TDEE and then realized I need to eat more than 1240 calories a day like it says on here. although I am not sure why it recommends that for me. According to a site that I just went on, my TDEE was just over 2100 and my needed calorie intake for losing one lb a week is jsut over 1600. But MFP has me only intaking 1240 calories a day. Soooo what gives?? I'm 5'6 and 127 lbs. just looking to lose up to 10 lbs.
  • eileen78
    eileen78 Posts: 10
    Options
    i was confused myself ! i checked out my bmr its 1533 and my tdee is 2241 . i sit at a desk all day at work but i workout at night 3-4 times a week for an hour each workout so i am guessing to eat somewhere in between ? i am sedentary all day at work
  • amykoa
    amykoa Posts: 10
    Options
    Have to admit...I'm still confused. I completely understand that in the end, I just need to consume fewer calories than I expend. I'm just so unsure of how much is enough and how much is too little. MFP is suggesting 1200/day to lose 1.5 pounds/week. But my BMR is approx. 1500 and my TDEE is about 2400. Anyone with more experience than me want to help me out??? Thanks in advance!
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is how many calories per day you need to eat each day and do nothing what so ever! Your basic functioning calorie intake.

TDEE is your daily activity and add's calories to your BMR to give a true reading.

So for instance if you lie in bed all day for 7 days and your BMR is 1,700 calories then eating 1,700 calories each day for 7 days will maintain your weight. Eat 1,200 calories each day for 7 days and you are eating 3,500 calories less per week which is 1 pound and therefore a weight loss.

However, if you are a tour guide for a living and exercise for 3 or 4 nights a week, your activity level is moderate. So if you can eat 1,700 calories every day by staying in bed, the TDEE will calculate how many calories you need for walking all day and doing exercise. So say the result is 2,400 calories per day (Obviously depends on age, height, weight) but lets say that's what it is. Then by eating that many calories you will maintain your current weight. If you want to lose a pound a week, eat 500 calories less per day, 2 pounds eat 1,000 less per day!

To get a more accurate reading for TDEE you need to work out what your daily activity level is!

My trusted BMR website is http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. Enter your details then below the results click on 'daily calorie needs ' Where it then has the information you need to work out your TDEE.

Hope this helps :smile:

I've been reading on BMR and TDEE for days now I was completely confused until I read your post. I now understand it, thanks.
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump