Obese- too early for weight lifting?

Options
afv417
afv417 Posts: 466 Member
I have lost 36lbs and have 100 to go. I"m still obese with very fatty, wobbly arms, big thighs and stomach. I do cardio 4-6 days a week for 40-60 mins each day. I keep my calories at 1580, get my daily water intake and take a multi-vitamin, biotin, b-12, osteo biflex, calcium and magnesium. I want to get back into weight lifting as I used to 11 years ago! I do use the circuit training room at Planet Fitness (similar to curves) to get some weight training in- it's a 30 minute workout.

The plan I decided to pursue was Jamie Easons live fit 12 wk program. To be completely honest with myself, I'm not sure that I'll follow the meal plan to a "T" but I'm sure I can follow her workout plan.

I am open to any advice/suggestions. I appreciate it, in advance! :)

Replies

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think anyone can do weightlifting. Start with department store weights --maybe 2, 3 or 5 lbs. You may also want the leg weights. Consult with your doctor or a fitness professional to reduce the risk of injury.

There is a book by Dr. Pamela Peeke to help women who want to get in shape. She talks about weightlifting. The book has great before and after photos.

Lift weights during TV commercials, maybe.
    Walk around the house with the weights, doing simple elbow arm raises.

Do not overexert. Consult with those professionals, please.
  • julesga
    julesga Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    IMHO as an obese person who is well on the way to not being one..it is never too early. Even if you can't see the muscle under the fat it is better to have it than to not have it.
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    You're never too big or too small to weight train. Start with just body weight exercise if you want. There's nothing better than old fashioned push-ups, chin or pull ups, and some squats. Any progressive resistance training is part of a well rounded exercise program, and any muscle growth you achieve helps with metabolism.

Go for it!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Start small as somebody else above says. Muscle mass burns fat quicker, but remember that it may stall your weight loss (but not your fat loss). If you havent already taken your measurements, then do so now before you start and keep an eye on those instead of worrying about every lb on the scales.

Good luck
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am grade II obese and use weight training daily. (Not the same muscle groups of course). I am losing weight (#1 goal) but try to incorporate a relatively protein rich diet in the process for muscle recovery. It has been a good thing for me and I am seeing some results... probably more than I have seen when I have tried weight training before. Honestly the past few days I have not been able to do it (recovering from oral surgery) and I really miss it. I look forward to getting back into it this afternoon!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I just posted these photos in another thread but this is after six weeks of doing New Rules of Lifting.

9648316_5328.jpg

9648316_9293.jpg

Look at my waist! I'm still obese and can do it. I haven't personally done Jamie Easton's program but the people on here who have get good results. I don't see why you couldn't do the program.

Your weight loss does change. Be prepared for that. But by using the Fat2Fit body fat calculator (and this is not exact remember its purely a guesstimate) I've lost around 3% body fat since starting lifting weights. I've lost 5kg of scale weight.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,719 Member
    Options
    I have a little different take on this. I love strength training, but I think someone who is carrying around an extra 100 pounds 24/7 is already doing some pretty impressive lifting. I would bet that your lean body mass is much higher than most people's who are at a more ideal weight. If I were you, I'd focus on keeping moving and getting my weight down by losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible. I'd just hate to see you hurt yourself doing too much too soon. If you keep the strength you have now (by not losing muscle mass), the lighter you get, the easier it will be to do those push-ups, pull-ups and squats. Congrats on the 36 pounds you've lost already. You are doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have a little different take on this. I love strength training, but I think someone who is carrying around an extra 100 pounds 24/7 is already doing some pretty impressive lifting. I would bet that your lean body mass is much higher than most people's who are at a more ideal weight. If I were you, I'd focus on keeping moving and getting my weight down by losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible. I'd just hate to see you hurt yourself doing too much too soon. If you keep the strength you have now (by not losing muscle mass), the lighter you get, the easier it will be to do those push-ups, pull-ups and squats

I understand the logic but honestly just because you are heavier doesn't mean you can't do the moves. ESPECILLY squats. I can do 40kg no issues.

Most weight lifting programs used by beginners won't start you on pull ups. Push ups there are modifications, you don't have to start on the ground from your toes. (the NROLFW strong discourses from the knees as they state it's counter productive. They have you start against the wall, using a weight bench, ect before working your way down to the floor)
  • PJilly
    Options
    I have a little different take on this. I love strength training, but I think someone who is carrying around an extra 100 pounds 24/7 is already doing some pretty impressive lifting. I would bet that your lean body mass is much higher than most people's who are at a more ideal weight. If I were you, I'd focus on keeping moving and getting my weight down by losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible. I'd just hate to see you hurt yourself doing too much too soon. If you keep the strength you have now (by not losing muscle mass), the lighter you get, the easier it will be to do those push-ups, pull-ups and squats

I understand the logic but honestly just because you are heavier doesn't mean you can't do the moves. ESPECILLY squats. I can do 40kg no issues.

Most weight lifting programs used by beginners won't start you on pull ups. Push ups there are modifications, you don't have to start on the ground from your toes. (the NROLFW strong discourses from the knees as they state it's counter productive. They have you start against the wall, using a weight bench, ect before working your way down to the floor)
    That's awesome you can do squats like that. I should have added the disclaimer that I'm not an expert. Heck, I don't even play one on TV. :tongue:
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I would do it if I where you.

For once I feel so powerful, specially in the legs! Then, when you start upping the lbs lifted you feel unstoppable, and those emotions have helped me in the journey. Of course, some lifts (specially arms) make me disappointed on myself but its just one more opportunity to conquer a minigoal and to practice pushing myself.

It has also helped in my performance and endurance doing cardio.

I'm also obese (15lbs or so to be overweight)
    I weight lift 5 days a week, working on 3 different routines -maybe is too much but it is not hurting (only at the gym that muscles feel like on fire, but at the end of the day Im perfectly fine).
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'd totally do weight lifting. You don't have to go all olympic and roid out. Lifting is going to benefit every aspect of your life.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The time to start weight lifting was yesterday. Get to it!
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone!! I did start yesterday with Jamie Eason's Day 1 Week 1! I do feel it today and am going back for day 2!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have a little different take on this. I love strength training, but I think someone who is carrying around an extra 100 pounds 24/7 is already doing some pretty impressive lifting. I would bet that your lean body mass is much higher than most people's who are at a more ideal weight. If I were you, I'd focus on keeping moving and getting my weight down by losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible. I'd just hate to see you hurt yourself doing too much too soon. If you keep the strength you have now (by not losing muscle mass), the lighter you get, the easier it will be to do those push-ups, pull-ups and squats. Congrats on the 36 pounds you've lost already. You are doing great! :flowerforyou:

Technically, that is true but the physiological dynamics of lifting weight are different from carrying around extra pounds. Resistance training is important for people in different ways. The effects are different for a beginner who is obese that for someone who is close to idea weight (the type of program is different as well).

With a well-designed program (not that difficult to do), there is little risk of injury -- no more than the risk of turning an ankle while walking outdoors. Well-designed RE (resistance exercise) programs are progressive in nature and the starting point is geared towards the person's abilities.

Someone like the OP can start with a simple circuit of selectorized machines, work up to 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps done to failure, twice a week and do just fine. After an initial period, they can then move to a more challenging routine and see even better results.

Everyone on a weight loss program should be doing RE from day 1. The reasons why are not what most people think --you are correct in stating that obese individuals do not need to increase muscle mass--they have lots already--but there are other important effects of RE --esp when it comes to improving one's ability to oxidize fats--that justify including it at the beginning.
  • PJilly
    Options

Technically, that is true but the physiological dynamics of lifting weight are different from carrying around extra pounds. Resistance training is important for people in different ways. The effects are different for a beginner who is obese that for someone who is close to idea weight (the type of program is different as well).

With a well-designed program (not that difficult to do), there is little risk of injury -- no more than the risk of turning an ankle while walking outdoors. Well-designed RE (resistance exercise) programs are progressive in nature and the starting point is geared towards the person's abilities.

Someone like the OP can start with a simple circuit of selectorized machines, work up to 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps done to failure, twice a week and do just fine. After an initial period, they can then move to a more challenging routine and see even better results.

Everyone on a weight loss program should be doing RE from day 1. The reasons why are not what most people think --you are correct in stating that obese individuals do not need to increase muscle mass--they have lots already--but there are other important effects of RE --esp when it comes to improving one's ability to oxidize fats--that justify including it at the beginning.
    Great input! Thanks for giving me a more well-rounded way to look at it. :smile: