Eating healthy mexican food?

Options
TheWinman
TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
OK, I received great info. in my pasta thread, now I need to conquer another problem I have with food. Geez, I feel like I'm posting and asking for too much information, so excuse me. I'm new on here and eager to learn and better myself. Now I enjoy Mexican food about as much as I do my pasta. :)
I don't really cook mexican, but I'm willing to try after learning more about healthier alternatives. I usually just go out to mexican restaurants to satisfy my mexican fix. Of course when I enter those meals into my food diary, it's just destroys that entire day. :)
So, I'm looking for tasty and healthier tortilla alternatives and ingredients or even point me to websites that have great information.

I was also wondering about a certain tortilla. The cafe at my health club uses a much darker looking tortilla with a much different texture. This taste really good and I'm assuming it's much better for you as the cafe really tries focus on healthy eating. I either forget to ask them or as in most cases they are very busy.

Replies

• Modogger
    Modogger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lately at Mexican restaurants I get shrimp or chicken fajitas without the tortillas. I ask for lettuce wraps instead...saves a lot of calories! I use the sour cream and guacamole sparingly....I need that on there though :)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use Mexican as my splurge meal. YUM.

Edited to add: Fajitas are generally a pretty safe bet as long as you don't glop too much sour cream and cheese on top. :-)
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Fajitas w/o tortillas
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually do shrimp or veggie fajitas and get corn tortillas instead of flour. And i only use pico de gallo for topping. Maybe a little bit of guac.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    They are probably using whole wheat tortillas and I really like them. If you must have a tortilla, I think those are the way to go.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I typically will order bean anything when I'm trying to be good, or save eating Mexican for a cheat day. I noticed as well it's extremely difficult to be good at a Mexican restaurant.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Blue corn tortillas?
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love mexican food too, and here are two healthy recipes I've found that get all the flavor across without nearly the calories!!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-tacos-green-apple-salsa-50400000119702/

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cuban-beans-rice-salad-10000000698675/

The shrimp tacos taste super fresh and light but are also filling. The beans & rice salad is super creamy because of the avocado, but has no dairy which keeps it super low-cal! The cumin is the key to the yummy mexican flavor.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ask for whole beans instead of refried with anything that has beans.