Oatmeal

Options
I have been eating Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packets - Weight Control. From what I've been reading, I get the clear picture that it isn't the best type of oatmeal to bet eating.

However, what IS the right type of oatmeal to be eating? I read so many conflicting things... steel cut oats? Quick oats?

Help! Please! :-)

Replies

• MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have been reading but according to their website, the packets contain 100% whole grain oats, and help to reduce cholestorel, a good source calcium, iron and 7 other essential vitamins and minerals and contains 3 g of soluble fiber.
    I enjoy them and have helped to reduce my cholestorel, it was 7.6 and now measures 4.7

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/instant-oatmeal/original.aspx

hope this helps :happy:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The concern with the packets is the added sugar. And probably the expense.

You could just buy some regular quick cooking rolled oats and add your own flax, chia and / or hemp. Much cheaper. And no added sugar. But I don't think there is anything wrong with the weight control packets.

There is not a whole lot of difference nutritionally between rolled oats and steel cut oats, so it is just a preference on taste and cooking time.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most of the instant packets add sugar and a lot of sodium. I just used the regular round container of quick cooking oats in the morning. It takes about three minutes to do. I add cranberries, raisins whatever. Sometimes instead of water, I make it with 1/2 fruit juice. I feel so much better getting an entire cup of cooked oats for only 150 calories and no sodium.
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The ideal in eating oatmeal is to eat it in the least processed way: oat groats, then steel cut, then rolled, then instant. then instant with sugar. It has to do with how your body responds to 'processed' foods. The more processed, the quicker things are metabolized as fat. The more natural state an oat is in, the longer it takes for your body to use and break down the nutrients. You can read about this and the glycemic index to understand better. I try to use either steel cut and rolled, but mostly for a quick breakfast, rolled. I actually took some classes with Bob of Bob's Red Mill. He puts hot water in a thermos and puts in whole oat groats (looks like brown rice), leaves it overnight and eats that for breakfast in the morning. The guy is exceedingly healthy, but wasn't always that way.......his wife had been nagging him for years about his health, and he finally listened and dramatically changed the way he eats. One of our favorite ways to eat oats.....water, rolled oats, maybe a a1/4 cup of Bob-s 7-grain cereal, little salt, some raisins or dried cranberries, cinnamon, vanilla, and cook. This even makes a great little snack you can have a bit of throughout the day. If you make a bigger batch, the remainder can sit on the stove (cold of course) all day and overnight, and eaten the next day. I grew up eating steel cut oats this way when I was a kid. Good luck with your journey!
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    I have quick cook whole grain oats and just add whatever I want to it. :)

I just made this shake for breakfast:

1 medium banana
    1/4 cup cooked oatmeal
    1/6 cup (or 2 and 2/3 tbs) of Greek yogurt flavored with honey
    1/6 cup of unsalted, dry roasted almonds
    1 cup of ice

Blend until smooth!

350 calories. :)
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like rolled oats or multigrain cereals with fresh fruits and berries, about 1/2 tbsp of agave nectar and a splash of milk or soy milk.

I've found these recipes on pinterest but have yet to try them...

this is no cook refrigerator oatmeal...so great for a grab and go breakfast:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

Carrot cake oatmeal!! I think the site has a whole bunch of flavors that are "clean eating":
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-carrot-cake-oatmeal/
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I used to buy the microwave packs but have now moved on to Flahavan's oats - I usually make what they call 2 portions and make it last 4 days as I like something else for breakfast too. It stores perfectly well in the fridge and then you can add what you want to the basic porridge for more variety:

apple sauce, cinnamon and brown sugar
    ground almonds and sliced peaches
    maple syrup
    golden syrup
    blueberries and raspberries
    make like the Scots and just add salt!

I haven't tried freezing it but I'm sure it would work :flowerforyou:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    According to the USDA, steel-cut and rolled oats have the same nutrient content by weight. In that sense, one isn't "better" than the other. If you're worried about blood sugar, then maybe look into what watercolormam said about the glycemic index. I think you should be more worried about the extra sugar in the packets. By going with plain and adding your flavors you can have a much more filling meal with few calories. Also, the cost of the packets is ridiculous. You can get 2 lbs of plain for the cost of 1 box of packets. And IMO the big container is just as convenient.
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oats the best. I use 1/2 C. of almond milk (plain unsweetened) and 1/2 C. of water, cinnamon, and raisins. You can add vanilla if you choose. Bring to a boil and add the oats. I like eating it thick and prefer that texture.
    If you want it sweeter, I am finding organic pure maple syrup to be the best option. There are studies suggesting agave syrup is not a good option and I would never use artificial sweeteners. I also try to avoid most sugars.
    I recently tried the rolled oats cooked in water and then some sea salt and Smart Balance on top. Tastes a little like grits.
    I have read on MFP about crockpot oatmeal, but haven't tried it.
    I buy all my oats in bulk-much, much cheaper and you can get the amount you want. I keep it in the refrigerator.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packets - Weight Control. From what I've been reading, I get the clear picture that it isn't the best type of oatmeal to bet eating.

However, what IS the right type of oatmeal to be eating? I read so many conflicting things... steel cut oats? Quick oats?

Help! Please! :-)

The weight control packets only have 1g sugar....
    It does have 7g of protein
    270g sodium...

All in all they are a fine choice for breakfast...I eat them almost every day before I work out...they fill me up and don't make me sick when I run...

Go with what fits into your lifetyle...yes they might cost more, but for me it is a quick and easy way to get food in the morning craziness of getting kids out to school...
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use whole oats, add hot water, add some berries, stevia, and hemp :flowerforyou:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think it's about good/better/best.

The weight control oats in a packet are good.
    There just might be better options, like using the plain and adding to them.
    But in the end, the best option is the one that you can eat and works for you.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is very packed with calories, and those packets include sugar, like everybody else pointed out. I'm eating old fashioned quick oats with a teaspoon of peanut butter. Works perfect
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had instant oatmeal this morning because I was at my brother's and that's what he had. Normally I cook up a bunch of Irish oatmeal and put it in individual containers in the fridge. I like mine with natural peanut butter, bananas, and a wee bit of almond milk.