At Goal Weight, Need To Lose Body Fat

Options
I am finally at my goal weight, however, my body fat percentage is still very high based on an online bodyfat calculator. (fat2fitradio.com). I really didn't need the calculator to know. I need to firm up and get rid of the body fat while maintaining my current weight. Any suggestions on how to do that? HELP!

Thanks for any and all the advice you can give me.

Kelly

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. Do the program. Lift as heavy as you can.

I've been doing it since mid Feb. Here are photos showing the difference in my waist in that six weeks.

9648316_5328.jpg

9648316_9293.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise now if anything? I had good results doing Jillian Michaels DVD's for toning and firming up.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with pilates. I can feel and flex my core muscles now, my posture is better. It has been about 2 months, doing it around 3x a week.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh and I use that measurment as well. I first did it on 19/02 (I started NROLFW on 14/02) and according to that I have lost 3.1% in bodyfat :) Pretty neat huh?
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    3% is great in 6 weeks!!

I've been doing everything, I've been doing strength dvd's, I have 30 day shred, I also have Nike Training Club app on my phojne that I have been doing several times a week. I also just finished Chris Freytag's 2 week turnaround program. I can now run where I've never ever been able to do that in my life. I can also do regular push ups! Yay, I've gained some strength. I can see definition in my arms, but still flabby. I can also notice my rump has lifted quite a bit, but I have cellulite.

I lost almost 20 lbs, but i guess I still have quite a bit of bodyfat to lose. I did not check my body fat percentage before starting though so I don't know how much I've lost.

I cannot afford expensive equipment for the new rules of weightlifting for women. What do you need? I only have 5 and 8lb dumbells and an adjustable resistance band.

I guess you can say I am jiggly and tired of it!
  • jamorar
    jamorar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Along with all the great suggestions on strengthening and toning exercises, you have eat a lot of protein to build muscle. The amount varies for each person. But usually for a woman trying to tone up it's around 65-70 mg. Good luck
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I would say you are doing all the right things. I've heard people say good things about P90x and Insanity but I don't know how much those cost. More high intensity than Jillian. I am interested in New Rules, but can't afford a gym membership or to buy a lot of home equipment.

Agree with protein suggestion. I set my MFP goals for 40% protein, 30 carbs, 30 fat. I don't always get it though, have to work on targeting more protein. I think most people's normal diets are carb heavy unless you make a real effort to up the protein.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would say you are doing all the right things. I've heard people say good things about P90x and Insanity but I don't know how much those cost. More high intensity than Jillian. I am interested in New Rules, but can't afford a gym membership or to buy a lot of home equipment.

Agree with protein suggestion. I set my MFP goals for 40% protein, 30 carbs, 30 fat. I don't always get it though, have to work on targeting more protein. I think most people's normal diets are carb heavy unless you make a real effort to up the protein.

there was an add on the shopping channel this morning for P90X for £99.00, which is pretty expensive and then you still need some extra equipment like heavy dumbells and stuff.

I would recommend the New Rules of Lifting too, all the exercises have descritions of various difficulty levels and it explains home alternatives. Its a really easy plan to follow and to be honest I'm sure you'd get results from body weight exercises to start with since you're specifically targeting muscle groups. That or I've heard good things about Jillian Michaels DVDS, I wouldn't think they'd need a lot of equipment
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Heard good things about Chalean Extreme too, that is $90 in the US. But you need weights or bands. Not sure what weights. The reviews say she tells you how much weight to lift and when so I would think you need a range of weights, which I don't have.
  • kellykat2
    Options
    thanks everyone! I eat between 70 and 125 g of protein each day. My ex husband is a body builder, however he goes to the extreme, basically only eats meat! I want a diet more balanced with veggies and fruits and nuts too. He also works to the extreme, to him benching 300 lbs one time is a workout. He spends more time standing around talking than actually lifting! lol. So I won't take his advice it is so unhealthy, although he is HUGE, not fat but muscular. I do not want that at all.

I want to tone up this 51 yr old body. I have an 8 yr old to keep up with. My weight is 120, I used to be 116, but don't want to be that thin anymore. Since menopause I put on 20 lbs, which I lost over the past year, by cardio and strength, but I am still left with flab and cellulite, which I never had before 2010!

It is absolutely true that your body changes during menopause. I seem to have to work harder to lose the weight. Now it appears that getting ripped is harder for me now too! UGH...for you youngens, please keep it up, don't stop during meopause at all or your body will fall apart during and it is harder to get it back.

Thanks for your responses. Since the divorce, I cannot afford the p90x or Insanity dvd's. do you know of any out there that are regular priced $20 or so that might help?
  • kellykat2
    Options
    Libby, I add when protein which I add to milk and get 33 g of protein. Also a cup of cottage cheese with some blueberries or pineapple for an eveing snack is 26 g of protein. Tasty stuff too. I use Target Vanilla Whey protein. It is not bad. Sometimes I add it to chocolate almond milk for an extra special treat.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're at goal weight and you want to be lean, you're going to have to increase your muscle mass. The only way to to do that is to do strength (resistance) training. It's not going to happen on an elliptical or a spin class or pilates. I'd suggest a good strength program like P90X.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am finally at my goal weight, however, my body fat percentage is still very high based on an online bodyfat calculator. (fat2fitradio.com). I really didn't need the calculator to know. I need to firm up and get rid of the body fat while maintaining my current weight. Any suggestions on how to do that? HELP!

Thanks for any and all the advice you can give me.

Kelly
    Pick things up and put them down. Repeat. Invest in a barbell. A good strength training program using compound barbell lifts will do wonders for you. 5 pound and 8 pound dumbbells won't cut it. Sorry, but that's just the cold hard truth.

Also, and the hardest part to hear, you'll need to eat more, and put on some more weight. Lift heavy, eat more, put on some muscle, then eat less to cut the body fat.