Oatmeal ideas!?

Options
splucy
splucy Posts: 353
Hey guys! So I am looking around for some oatmeal ideas!

A lot of the time, I will mix a bit of stevia in to my oatmeal and then top it with a little bit of sugar free maple syrup which is quite yum. The overall flavour reminds me of pancakes ^_^

I just saw a 'savoury' oatmeal idea that sounded pretty neat.

Any creative ideas out there?

P.s. It needs to be quite quick and easy as I just make it in the mornings before I run out to work.

my oven is also broken :( so would need to be cooked in the microwave!

Replies

• splucy
    Options
    edited first post.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1629,146162-228203,00.html
    oatmeal microwave muffin.. i'd fiddle with the recipe abit to make it more low cal...
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I put them in the blender with egg whites and a lot of cinnamon (until foamy) then I might add some berries or something to it. Fast way to make pancakes... you might be able to microwave it, I've never tried.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when it's hot, I'll do an oatmeal shake...raw oatmeal, a banana, milk, and a few ice cubes blended up nicely. It's delicious and filling and makes me feel good.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm all about quick N easy! My oatmeal supper is this: oatmeal & water (or unsweetened almond milk for a decadent treat!). add 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c chopped pecans, maybe some chopped up apple bits. stevia, cinnamon, a pince of cloves, and cook it in the microwave. For protein I either add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, or stir in liquid eqq whites AFTER it cooks so I don't get cooked egg whites! Finish with SmartBalance buttery-tasting spread. you can also add flaxseed or some additional fiber.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I use the kind of oatmeal (quick cook, not instant) you have to cook and then add cut apples, I top with cinnamon & walnuts.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows is a blog that has lots of idea about flavoring her oatmeal. I usually cook mine in coconut milk with an apple. Then I add maple syrup, raisins and cinnamon.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually chuck in some berries/banana/apple and heat it on the stove. Fresh berries on top work well as well. Or mix it with yoghurt for a super filling breakfast.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    40g oatmeal, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 7 g slivered almonds, dash of cinnamon add 1c water...MIX WELL- get all the powder incorporated. 2 min in the microwave :0)
    i take this most days to work....easy and will hold you till lunch!
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Couple ideas
    - Berry Coconut Oatmeal
    1c. prepared oatmeal
    10g unsweetened coconut toasted with 2tsp. Splenda Blend Brown Sugar
    100g Raspberries/ Strawberries

- Apple Cinammon
    1c prepared oatmeal
    1 small apple
    1tsp cinammon
    pckt. splenda

- Banana Walnut
    1c. prepared oatmeal
    1oz. walnuts toasted
    1/2 banana
    2Tbsp. Pb2 Powder

- PB Jelly Oatmeal
    1c. prepared Oatmeal
    2Tbsp. pb2
    1tsp sugar free jelly
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My morning would not be complete without oatmeal. I use milk instead of water and cook it over the stove, adding raisins while the milk is heating so they expand a bit. THEN I put frozen berries into my bowl (I found putting them directly in with the cooking oatmeal just turns the whole thing purple and no whole berries are left!) and when the oatmeal is done add it to the bowl with some brown sugar. I've tried skipping the sugar and adding more berries but found it was still missing that sweet something.

Or I skip the berries and add cinnamon and banana :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You can also mix it with a little bit of yogurt and milk (to the consistency you like), stir in some fruit and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning the oats are softened and you can just grab it and eat it without cooking. Nice in the summer when you might not want something hot.

Another thing I do is mix the raw oats with chocolate almond butter. It reminds me of those chocolate no bake drop cookies. :)
  • splucy
    Options
    mmm yum loving these ideas! Thanks guys
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    Is there a non-sweet recipe for oatmeal- perhaps salty, spicy etc? I don't want to add sugary stuff to increase the glycemic index of oatmeal mix.
  • sunnyrunner77
    sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I add a half cup of pure pumpkin puree, a tblsp of honey, a tblsp of agave nectar, and some apple pie spice. Sugar free maple syrup would also serve well as a sweetener, only 20 cals for a 1/4 cup. Turns out quite yummy!
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of Original Powdered Creamer and a Calorie Free Sweetener. It tastes like you put Half and Half in it and it only adds 10 Calories. :)
  • grisaille12
    Options
    Well, I too am looking for a good savory oatmeal recipe and the online resources lead me to this one:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-savory-oatmeal/

which sounds great (I love Crimini mushrooms) plus a friend suggested using oatmeal in any quinoa recipe . . .
  • bquillen
    bquillen Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :happy: oatmeal is my choice for breakfast, i always get the instant kind, maple brown sugar, then i get the precooked bacon heat it up to a crisp then i add that to my oatmeal with skim milk and a packet of truvia...it is very good...
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I had savoury oatmeal this morning (perhaps we got the idea in the same area...) For mine, I used 1/3 cup dried non-instant oats which I cooked according to the package. When it was done, I added about 2 tbsps unsweetened soymilk. I stirred in a full serving of mozzarella cheese, and added some salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Meanwhile, I had soft-poached an egg, which I put on top so I could break the yolk over the the oatmeal. It was my first taste of savoury oatmeal, and probably the best bowl I have ever eaten. I'll be adding a picture later on the picture thread, so maybe I'll come and upload here too when it get it online.
  • splucy
    Options
    I had savoury oatmeal this morning (perhaps we got the idea in the same area...) For mine, I used 1/3 cup dried non-instant oats which I cooked according to the package. When it was done, I added about 2 tbsps unsweetened soymilk. I stirred in a full serving of mozzarella cheese, and added some salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Meanwhile, I had soft-poached an egg, which I put on top so I could break the yolk over the the oatmeal. It was my first taste of savoury oatmeal, and probably the best bowl I have ever eaten. I'll be adding a picture later on the picture thread, so maybe I'll come and upload here too when it get it online.

Please do show a picture! I must try savoury oatmeal :) yum!