So lightheaded =(

Options
Hi, I just started MFP a few days ago and I love it! I started tracking what I eat, and all my workouts its amazing. I even lost 4lbs already. My only problem is last night I started to feel lightheaded so I ate some fruit which ultimatly gave me a migraine. This morning I woke up went to work, I had some fruit and yogurt, started to feel hungry about 2 hours later so I had some oatmeal, and I can feel my headache coming back.

Is this normal? Does my body need to just get used to eating this way? Or is there anything more I can do or eat to make me feel better?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor. That keeps up, you might want to go see one. But it sounds to me like you could use some protein. That's just based on what happens when I'm hungry and go for sugars. Which is what fruit mainly is.
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    Not a doctor. That keeps up, you might want to go see one. But it sounds to me like you could use some protein. That's just based on what happens when I'm hungry and go for sugars. Which is what fruit mainly is.

I agree with this, but also, how many calories are you eating a day, and how much water are you drinking?
  • Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did you by any chance stop drinking soda/caffeine? Could just be caffeine withdrawals
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had headaches the first few days I did this change of eating and they went away. BUT I recently found out I'm not eating enough, so check out your calorie intake vs. your workouts, etc!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    There are some other good posts here on migraines. I recommend you check out some of them.
    I used to get them when I didn't eat too for too long at a time. (It was probably low blood sugar.) So fruit was a good way to stop the odd feeling from becoming a full-blown migraine, but even better was to eat a bit earlier before getting that feeling. As someone else suggested, protein or complex carbohydrates might be better as they digest more slowly and keep you at a more even keel. But if you missed that, the fruit gets the sugar into your blood faster. Your fruit and yogurt sounds like a good way to do a bit of both - hope that worked well for you!
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open. but it sounds to me like you arent eating enough. when i tried to lose weight last yr and was only netting 1000 cals or so i would get lightheaded during workouts and when waking up. now i dont have these problems.and i eat about 1500-1800 cals
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started MFP a few days ago and I love it! I started tracking what I eat, and all my workouts its amazing. I even lost 4lbs already. My only problem is last night I started to feel lightheaded so I ate some fruit which ultimatly gave me a migraine. This morning I woke up went to work, I had some fruit and yogurt, started to feel hungry about 2 hours later so I had some oatmeal, and I can feel my headache coming back.

Is this normal? Does my body need to just get used to eating this way? Or is there anything more I can do or eat to make me feel better?

I was lightheaded when I first started - I was eating 1200 calories and it wasn't enough for me.

You may not be eating enough.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree the headaches could be withdrawals from soda, caffeine, etc. However, as a nurse the dizziness concerns me. Are you eating enough calories? Has this happened to you before or is it something new? It could be related to your blood sugar levels, not eating enough calories, standing up to fast, etc. If it continues you really need to see a doctor!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i have to eat every few hours or i get lightheaded, usually no headache though. Above someone asked ifyou recently cut your caffeine intake...? that could explain the headache. I also get dizzy when i'm dehydrated, so check your water intake and try to eat some protein with every single meal. Try protein-rich snacks like almonds, cottage chees or yogurt, string cheese.......
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and yes I have noticed that I dont have enough protein through out the day and I did go from drinking 3 cups of coffee a day to only 1, so Im definitly having caffeine withdrawls. I drink a lot of water though which is good. And according to my goal it says I should be eating 1,392 calories a day.. which is probably a lot less then what I used to eat. So I will just keep doing what Im doing and hopefully my body gets used to it. Thankyou =)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and yes I have noticed that I dont have enough protein through out the day and I did go from drinking 3 cups of coffee a day to only 1, so Im definitly having caffeine withdrawls. I drink a lot of water though which is good. And according to my goal it says I should be eating 1,392 calories a day.. which is probably a lot less then what I used to eat. So I will just keep doing what Im doing and hopefully my body gets used to it. Thankyou =)

What goal loss have you set?

If you've set it at 2lb per week, try reducing it by half a lb, and eating a few more calories for a while and see if it gets better.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You might need to eat more than that. You just need a deficit, to eat lest than you burn, to lose weight. I would recommend finding out what your BMR is and than eating at least that many calories. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ This is a good site to figure out what it is. Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to function if you were in a coma. So if you eat at least this amount your body should get what it needs for daily functioning and then you would have a deficit from moving around and exercising, although you should probably eat about 200 calories above BMR. Feeling dizzy and lightheaded is not fun. If you find your BMR on that site they will also give you the number of calories to eat for your activity level which is kind of cool. You will need to find your body fat % before you find your BMR. You can use this link to find your body fat % http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

if you're working out, make sure you eat your extra earned calories (aka exercise calories) !!!
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1lb per week for now.. but I lost 4lbs in the past week.. I will try that though too. Thankyou!

What goal loss have you set?

If you've set it at 2lb per week, try reducing it by half a lb, and eating a few more calories for a while and see if it gets better.
  • WIT2LOSE
    WIT2LOSE Posts: 4
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you drop your calories low to lose wieght you will have some side affects. 1) your body has to start burning fat for energy. I believe that right before it starts to burn fat that you feel dizzy because it has run out of calories through food. Light snack should help. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water. Limit salt as it causes you to retain water. 2) Migraines... I have had 2 in my life. I reccomend that you stay away from artificial sweetners (all but stevia) and also cheeses.

Don't starve but it is a given fact us americans eat way more than we really need. Take it slow. I have lost 70 pounds and it has taken me almost a year. Time goes by fast. Just keep at it everyday even when you don't see any changes. Take lost of pics to look back at. It helps the mind adjust to the new you. Good luck.