What is going on?

Options
This is frustrating. I measured my thighs in January and they measured 28 inches around at the widest part. I've lost 25 pounds, and today I measured them again and they say 29 inches.

Is it possible to bloat in your thighs if you're retaining water? I'm expecting my period in the next week and the scale hasn't budged in a few days, so I'm really hoping that this is water retention and that everything will "go back to normal", when it's over.

Anybody have any experience with this happening? Am I really gaining fat, or is this the product of high sodium + hormones?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until after TOM and measure than. You could be holding onto water weight due to it being that time of the month.

If you are eating at a large calorie deficit I doubt it's muscle gain but it could be. I'd vote for just water weight.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Thanks. I think I'm just paranoid because I had a few bad days where I ate at (or possibly above) maintenance...
  • tyj247
    tyj247 Posts: 18
    Options
    Something else that could be happening is, if you do a lot of running or strength training using your legs, it could just be that your muscles are growing. I've noticed that as I'm building leg muscle, my jeans fit a lot looser in the waist and a lot tighter in the thigh (I have been running and walking the 7 flights of stairs at work a lot more). But also, like mallory3411, it could very well just be related to your menstrual cycle. Just try not to fret about it too much :)
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Something else that could be happening is, if you do a lot of running or strength training using your legs, it could just be that your muscles are growing. I've noticed that as I'm building leg muscle, my jeans fit a lot looser in the waist and a lot tighter in the thigh (I have been running and walking the 7 flights of stairs at work a lot more). But also, like mallory3411, it could very well just be related to your menstrual cycle. Just try not to fret about it too much :)

I play rugby, and played 3 games yesterday, so yes I'm using my legs a TON. Maybe that's it as well...
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The rugby would do it. It is good to take measurements after a day of rest. You muscles would be inflamed after all that rugby! Just keep going, Throw those few bad days of food away and get back on it. I highly doubt you would of put any fat on just from a few days :)