Should I exercise if I'm SORE?

Options
So those of you who don't know already, I used to be the girl making excuses to sit on the bleachers instead of being active in P.E Class. I did however used to be a Tahitian dancer... ... ... like 4 years ago. Since then, gained 2 daughters and some pounds, working as a Customer Sales and Service with light footwork (mostly desk job on the computer but super close to a food court). I just started exercising when I signed up for MFP. Now that I have the motivation from my MFP family, My body is SORE! I do mild stretches daily since sign up, I brisk walk when I can ( Usually trying to fit it in before work * 30min-1hr at a time*) . Is this my body's way of telling me I'm getting a good exercise and go on? Or should I rest a bit? I'm aching in my calves, thighs, and lower back... It doesn't hurt too much to stop but I don't wanna risk something I'll regret later. I've tried Google-ing the answer but I get mixed information. Anyone from experience?

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't know already, I used to be the girl making excuses to sit on the bleachers instead of being active in P.E Class. I did however used to be a Tahitian dancer... ... ... like 4 years ago. Since then, gained 2 daughters and some pounds, working as a Customer Sales and Service with light footwork (mostly desk job on the computer but super close to a food court). I just started exercising when I signed up for MFP. Now that I have the motivation from my MFP family, My body is SORE! I do mild stretches daily since sign up, I brisk walk when I can ( Usually trying to fit it in before work * 30min-1hr at a time*) . Is this my body's way of telling me I'm getting a good exercise and go on? Or should I rest a bit? I'm aching in my calves, thighs, and lower back... It doesn't hurt too much to stop but I don't wanna risk something I'll regret later. I've tried Google-ing the answer but I get mixed information. Anyone from experience?

I would personally take the day off, be fully recovered and 100% for tomorrow, or I would do upper body exercises instead.
  • bbabs93
    bbabs93 Posts: 6
    Options
    You absolutely should work out if you're sore. If you're injured, don't, but being sore is no excuse.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I just started exercising again....and although the next day I was extremely sore, I exercised again anyway.....it actually helped loosen me up.

So, my advice....push through it just go a little easier for a day or two....and then go hard again.

Just my 2¢ents.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Thanks Lukazeta! hmm I almost forgot I had the other half of me :embarassed : ... you're right! haven't thought about that!
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Thanks NU2U!! Thank you for that donation :bigsmile:
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Thank you too bbabs93! I'd hate to be that bleacher girl again.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps to work through the soreness - helps it go away faster. When I started 30DS, I was Extremely sore, but I kept doing it and the soreness went away within a few days. Ibuprofen helps too!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. It helps work out the soreness. Say I am sore from squatting or deadlifts, so I do some cardio like running or bike riding and I feel a less sore afterward.
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It helps to workout through the soreness, of course that means just sore, if you have pulled something or have truly injured yourself then you should rest. That being said, I don't feel like I've done enough if I'm not sore after a workout. I know that isn't true, but what can I say??? Maybe I'm a bit of a masochist lol
  • cbush0315
    cbush0315 Posts: 18
    Options
    I personally stretch really well right before I work out if I am sore. I would absolutely continue to work out though. Maybe change up your routine a little so you're not continuing to wear out the same areas.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depending on the level of soreness, I'll sometimes just do a day where I do some yoga or stretching, since it warms up the muscles and get the blood flowing, but doesn't overload them with too much work. \

Usually, I just go ahead and work through the soreness with another activity. Like if I'm sore from running, I'll do an Insanity workout, or if I'm sore from weight lifting, I'll go for a run. Different muscles get worked, and it actually helps with the overall soreness, since it gets blood flowing through there. I don't overload it with the same work, though, like running too many days in a row, because then I just get discouraged, since the muscles don't perform as well.
  • niwhsa
    niwhsa Posts: 1
    Options