drs office scales

Options
My gym has one of those scales like in the drs office. I"ve always heard that they are off by 10lbs. Wonder if thats true? How much should you deduct for tennis shoes and clothes? LOL! Does anyone know?

Replies

• DottyLove
    Options
    Ya know im not really so sure!!!! I always stood with my shoes on...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    if you set it to 0, does it balance out?

clothes and shoes vary wildly 3-5 pounds probably.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't know, but whenever I go to the doctor, I just request to give them the weight I saw that morning. I hate being weighed on those scales...they always make me think of livestock being weighed and sorted for the slaughter.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Well, I am amazed by how different the doctor's scale is from mine at home, so I don't really pay attention to what that scale says. Since I am generally logging with my home scale that's the number that matters. I take my shoes off when I weigh myself. I have some MBT's which are very heavy shoes!
  • rwa3457986
    Options
    i never thought to do that. I"ll try putting it on zero today and see :)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Weigh yourself on your personal scale without that stuff on, then weigh with it on. Even if it's not accurate in your general weight, it should at least give you an accurate difference as to how much that extra stuff weighs.
  • rwa3457986
    Options
    DG, i would do that but my personal scale isn't digital andi can barely read what it says! LOL! I guess i need a better scale at home.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have one of those doctors office sliding weight scales at home. I set it to balance at zero on the weekly morning of my weigh in, then weigh myself in the same clothing (my pajamas) each time. I'm told that the dr. office kind of scale is more accurate than most of the standard bathroom spring scales which can be affected by humidity or temperature.