Long distance runners: What is your favorite recovery food?

Options
Hi all,
I'm training for a half marathon and just finished running 8 miles (yay!). I came home and was desperate for protein and carbs. Unfortunately, we need to go to the grocery store. So I ended up eating some shrimp and frosted mini wheats. What do you all eat after a long run? Are protein and carbs a good way to go? I'm still new at this, so friendly advice is totally welcome!

Replies

• katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake with a frozen banana, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and a cup of almond milk.. sometimes i add in some peanut butter
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.. Bananas... An peanutbutter <3
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley chocolate peanut butter protein bar and chocolate milk :)

and congratulations on your run - way to go!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Any type of fruit and a glass of whey protein mixed with 2% milk for me.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Pancakes topped with greek yogurt.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein and a bit of carbs, you got it! They say a 1 to 3 protein to carb ratio is good, so your post long run food described is perfect! I know a lot of folks like to drink chocolate milk if they can't stomach real food, and it's refreshing and delicious.

I usually grab something like a slice of deli meat, egg whites, and a bagel or sandwich thin.

Congrats on an excellent run today!
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    HI!!! Training for my 2nd, and 3rd half marathons coming up! ConGRATS on your 8 mile run! ;) grab a glass of CHOC. MILK... has teh protein/sugars you need for recovery... then half an hour or hour later, eat a reg. meal. :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are my new secret weapon!
  • ctkennedy
    ctkennedy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    a beer
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with honey is my favorite.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Post run...egg white veggie omlette with 3 strips turkey bacon and chocolate milk is almost always my post run fuel... today, it was migas!
  • beautiful_dream
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't have a favorite and I have a low tolerance to milk, but....we bought a 'Magic Bullet" not long ago, and my daughter made me a milk, banana, and peanut butter shake and it is awesome!

That said, I usually don't crave anything after a long run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Shorter runs i'll do the chocolate milk thing, but my longer runs i've been going with pancakes & eggs