Crustless quiche - aka Frittata

Options
JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
Cook up whatever veggies you want. The more veggies the better, as it doesn't leave so much room for cheese and eggs. We caramelize some onions, cook down some kale, throw in diced tomatoes. You can use shallots, garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, chard, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, bell pepper or whatever you'd throw in an omelet and/or quiche.

In a bowl, crack 4 whole eggs and add 3-4 egg whites. Beat with a little milk (not necessary to add milk), salt, pepper and some cheese (swiss is preferred, but we've added cheddar, parmesan, feta, whateva).

With cooked veggies in still-hot pan, add eggs and allow to set up for about 6-8 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 F.

Place pan in oven and bake for 4-6 minutes.

Flop that egg pie down on a cutting board, cut into pie-shaped slices and enjoy. The best part is, if you eat even a quarter of the pie, you're only eating 1 whole egg, 1 egg white and whatever oil / cheese / veggies you added. Totally healthy and really, really, REALLY tasty.

Replies

• kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    YUMMERS!
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    IS THE FATENING....WITH ALL THOSE EGGS AND CHEESE
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I don't consider eggs to be all of that bad for you, especially if we're talking about one whole egg and one egg white. And you only get that much egg if you eat a quarter of the frittata. Most people sit down to 2-3 eggs when they have them fried, scrambled or with an omelet.

We are, of course, suggesting that you use restraint when adding the cheese. You can usually add one or two servings of cheese (check the nutrition label) in the ENTIRE DISH, meaning again that, if you ate a quarter of the whole fritatta, you'd only have 1/4 to 1/2 serving of cheese, something like 30-60 calories. I would estimate that in one quarter of the entire dish, one would be consuming 250 calories, and that's a pretty generous estimate. If you make this dish with mostly whites and only a little cheese, I bet a quarter of the frittata would provide you with 120-150 calories, which ain't that bad for something tasty. You're also, presumably, eating this in the morning, not right before bed.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Kellybean and I made this recipe this a.m. using 3 whole eggs, 5 egg whites, 4 cups of kale, 2 small yellow onions and 1/3 cup of feta cheese. We calculated about 190 calories eating a quarter of the fritatta. That's pretty darn low-cal and really tasty. I'm sure one could feasibly knock iti down to 2 whole eggs, 6 whites, 1 onion, 2-3 cups kale and 1/4 cup feta, or an even lower cal cheese, and make this a pretty tasty and lower calorie treat. If you make it healthier, I'd love to hear about it!
  • JessAryn
    JessAryn Posts: 9
    Options
    My mom and I always make quiche but we are on the go a lot so we've starting mixing together all the ingredients then filling up a pan full of metal muffin cups. Then after you bake them you can freeze them and microwave them later for a quick healthy breakfast! =]
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I made mine with whole eggs, AND sausage... but a ton of spinach, mushroom, onion and peppers. I cooked it in a cast iron skillet and it filled up and puffed over (I also added a small amount of flour and baking powder and soda to make it do that). 1/8 of it was a good sized slice, enough for a good breakfast or lunch, and it came in at 250 calories. Tons of protein (I added greek yogurt, cottage cheese and a small amount of cheddar cheese).

Totally tasty.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Not to be snobbish but a crustless quiche isn't also known as a frittata since they're two different things. ;)
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    My family has a Frittata every year the day before Easter. We usually put ricotta cheese, fresh mozzarella, asparagus, pepperoni, and onions in ours. We're going to have to revamp it to make it a healthier omelet this year, lol.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make up a 9x13 pan of this type of thing and then we just cut pieces and nuke them all week long. Works great for my husband to have a decent breakfast without me getting up at 3:30 in the morning! (Because that's just not happening!)
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    What do you mean by two different things? I mean, I know a frittata isn't technically a crustless quiche, but I've never heard of a crustless quiche before. Can you explain what a crustless quiche is? I just invite the comparison because we make ours in a round pan, so it looks like a quiche, but does not have a crust.

They're also prepared in basically the same way. Quiche gets baked. My fritatta recipe gets baked. A good portion of the veggies (such as onions or kale) are cooked before they go into the egg mix and same with quiche. The only difference I can find is that this fritatta doesn't have a crust. Is it because you feel a fritatta should be made in a square baking pan and cut into squares?

Anyway, what is a crustless quiche or how is it different from a fritatta (so I can be more accurate in the future)?

:wink:
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My mom and I always make quiche but we are on the go a lot so we've starting mixing together all the ingredients then filling up a pan full of metal muffin cups. Then after you bake them you can freeze them and microwave them later for a quick healthy breakfast! =]

That's an awesome idea!
  • OnlyGrace
    OnlyGrace Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump