Replies

• TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    I'm sorry, I only stopped in because I thought it said Zumba Pizza. :laugh:
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few classes. I stopped going because I have no rhythm and feel self conscious. I have no idea how the bigger girls that go do it. Other than that, I did think it helps burn fat.

Why would it make a difference how big someone is whether they have rhythm or not? Zumba can be fun for all sizes if you take it at your own pace... I know some gals my size that can SHAKE IT in class, and have a great time!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Wii DVD...so i guess I wnat specifics on that!!! Not ready for a class yet

Why not? I went to my very first Zumba class last month and everyone is so focused on the teacher no body cared what I was doing! There are all different shapes and sizes in Zumba and everyone is very friendly :smile: Go give it a try it is so much fun!

I diffidently think it has helped since I started, I have lost 1 inch.

Hope I helped :happy:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • heatherAnnXOX
    heatherAnnXOX Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I only stopped in because I thought it said Zumba Pizza. :laugh:

hahaha i did, too!! :smile:
  • tiffbou2
    tiffbou2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! You won't find a more accepting fitness class, in my opinion! A lot of classes are offered in church gyms or rec centers, which is far less intimidating than a mirrored groupX room in a club. My classes have 50-70 people in them every night, and I have many overweight folks, people who are "rhythmically challenged", and even a group over 70 years old. Everyone just does what they can at the level they are at and have FUN doing it! Take the risk! :)
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class every Saturday morning. I love it, it's fun even if you don't get every step right. Your burning calories. The more you put into it the more you will burn plus your having fun. It doesn't matter if you don't have any rhythm just keep moving and get into the music and enjoy your self. There is this one girl that hardly follows the instructor because she doesn't have any rhythm but she keeps coming and keeps moving. She doesn't care how funny she looks she keeps trying and I can tell she has lost alot and she is more toned than when she started. Don't care about what people think. If their good people they wont judge you but give you credit for doing something good for yourself. I love to dance and sing along with the songs. I don't care what people say or think, I'm having fun. I look forward to it because its fun and a change from treadmills and weights during the week.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I've been to a few classes. I stopped going because I have no rhythm and feel self conscious. I have no idea how the bigger girls that go do it. Other than that, I did think it helps burn fat.

Why would it make a difference how big someone is whether they have rhythm or not? Zumba can be fun for all sizes if you take it at your own pace... I know some gals my size that can SHAKE IT in class, and have a great time!

i didn't mean that rhythm=weight i meant weight=self consciousness. i'm size 2 i can't walk around in a bikini or shorts with out feeling like i'm getting nasty stares.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Go for it! The classes are awesome and everyone is so friendly. You will find so many different levels of fitness and coordination there. I've attended the classes. I have the dvds and I have the game on xbox. Love them all and I have lost a lot of weight and inches doing it.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

i didn't mean that rhythm=weight i meant weight=self consciousness. i'm size 2 i can't walk around in a bikini or shorts with out feeling like i'm getting nasty stares.

Thats something you have to work on. I don't care who looks at me funny. That's their problem if they have an issue about me & mines. If I feel good about myself then middle finger to everyone esle. Yanno?

Those over weight woman in that class are focus on their health not whose looking at them. I applaud them for having that self assurance.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba 2 and mayb I shld have started with the first one bc this one is very intense. But I luv the CHALLENGE :)
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    I have the Zumba 2 and mayb I shld have started with the first one bc this one is very intense. But I luv the CHALLENGE :)

Just keep moving and burn the calories. I know its a game & it grades you but remember that point system doesn't count. Its your calories burn. Do you have a heart rate monitor to track your calories during exercise? If not look into getting one. Its a watch that has a strap that goes around your chest. I have the polar FT4. Its an awesome tool.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I tried zumba. It's gotten sooo much praise. I have no idea what the big deal is. Yes, I burned a decent amount of calories, but I hated doing the workout. The instructor was the worst I've ever seen, and although I burned a lot of calories I didn't actually break a sweat. I just thought it was terribly done, and usually I really enjoy dance dvd's. I own at least 50 of them.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    I tried zumba. It's gotten sooo much praise. I have no idea what the big deal is. Yes, I burned a decent amount of calories, but I hated doing the workout. The instructor was the worst I've ever seen, and although I burned a lot of calories I didn't actually break a sweat. I just thought it was terribly done, and usually I really enjoy dance dvd's. I own at least 50 of them.
    Some instructors are crappy unfortunately. Have you tried the Zumba Exhilerate by Beto @ Zumba.com?
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I go to Zumba class at my gym and it is a decent workout. There are some primadona's in there that think they are all that, but for the most part there is no judgment and it is fun. I am wondering what people think about the Zumba that they sell on the infomercial ...it looks intense & that is what I am looking for. I don't feel like I get a good enough workout in my Zumba class. At best I get my heart rate at about 60% & I burn about 350 calores. There are others in there that just sweat bullets. I try to do as much high impact and keep my heart rate up, but I guess I am still also learning the choreography, so it is hard to go hard when you don't know the moves. I thought buying the Zumba would help me learn the moves while giving me a more intense workout...anyone want to give their opinion on that? I don't have Wii or Xbox (I know, I know...) so that is why I am looking at the dvds.
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have to say that Zumba is a ton of fun. I find it more interesting than just a regular old workout. I have the DVDs, Wii game, and have gone to classes. I cannot wait until my back is better to get back into the swing of things! Enjoy it, have fun, and let loose!!
  • Fierce4summer
    Fierce4summer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Wii DVD...so i guess I wnat specifics on that!!! Not ready for a class yet

I have the Zumba Wii and LOVE it! It's funny because I've been doing the high intensity ones and it said I would burn about 700 calories yet my husband did the Low Intensity and he burned almost 1000 calories! So I tried to switch it up and do the medium intensity and it said I burned about 850 calories. I really like it. I just make sure I choose Full Class so that way it's about an hour workout. I stepped it up and did it every day this week and I'm starting to see my clothes get baggy on me. The songs are great and I'm always soaked after the workout!
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i do Med intensity but I dont do the full class..but i will try it since it works for U...If U say U did it everyday and see a difference then thats enough for me to try that !!! Thanks :)
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have the zumba fitness dvd set and I love it :) There are like 6 different dvd's with different routines on them. My favorite is the Exhilirate. It takes some practice to finally get it, I'm not the best dancer but I managed to pick it up pretty well after the 4th or 5th time. :) It definitely helps tone the core. I'm not sure how much weight it would help you drop tho...I'm just toning.
  • cmbarnes
    cmbarnes Posts: 46
    Options
    BUMP
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just bought Wii Zumba 2 today after taking a Zumba class for a month and losing 9 pounds this month following a low cal diet, zumba, and walking. I am stepping it up this month and doing Zumba three times a week in April and plan to lose at least 10 pounds and hoping to lose 12 pounds in 5 weeks. Sorry can't tell you how great it is but Amazon reviews are fantastic, just looking at those gives me enough confidence that it is worth the investment. Good luck!