Dancing for Weight Loss.

Options
Hey everyone,

I have a question... I love the Hip Hop style dancing. Especially Ciara and Beyonce. I'm a Diva, Never Ever, 1, 2 Step.... wow! They look so sexy doing it. So, I figured that I would try dancing to lose some weight and to feel sexy about myself. Wow, that attempt was a fail. lol. I looked like a Seal on Acid. No joke. ;) lmao. I have no rhythm whatsoever. haha.

Anybody have any ideas how to loosen up, be flexible, and overall just enjoy myself. I know it burns mad calories and once you accomplish the routine correctly, you feel great about yourself.

Thanks y'all! :)

Replies

• echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    try some games on the wii. i love just dance and zumba! probably easier than a class. i get the majority of my exercise using my wii and i've lost 85 so far ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you love to dance, just turn the mirror around to face the wall and dance. I'm having trouble visualizing a seal on acid, but I know how ridiculous I look when I dance. I do it anyway. XBox Kinect if you happen to have one also comes with a disc called Kinect Adventures. Play Rallyball and River Raft and dance while you play. It's fun and no one ever has to see. I throw in some weights too, plus running in place, my HRM says I burn a ridiculous amount of calories. Who cares what I look like?
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    If you love to dance, just turn the mirror around to face the wall and dance. I'm having trouble visualizing a seal on acid, but I know how ridiculous I look when I dance. I do it anyway. XBox Kinect if you happen to have one also comes with a disc called Kinect Adventures. Play Rallyball and River Raft and dance while you play. It's fun and no one ever has to see. I throw in some weights too, plus running in place, my HRM says I burn a ridiculous amount of calories. Who cares what I look like?

Lol! I do have a Kinnect but don't have a Wii. I completely forgot about using that for weight loss. I understand, it's hard to in vision, but let me just say it's not pretty. hehe
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Lol! I do have a Kinnect but don't have a Wii. I completely forgot about using that for weight loss. I understand, it's hard to in vision, but let me just say it's not pretty. hehe

It is pretty, though. The mirror is lying! Take that thing away, and know you're the world's best dancer. Because if we can't lie to ourselves for our own good, who can we lie to? :laugh:

By the way, not only am I the world's best dancer when there's no mirror, I'm also the world's best singer, it's just that recording equipment fails to capture the sweet purity of my voice. But I sound great to me.

When people flee the vicinity of my singing voice that's just coincidence.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options

It is pretty, though. The mirror is lying! Take that thing away, and know you're the world's best dancer. Because if we can't lie to ourselves for our own good, who can we lie to? :laugh:

By the way, not only am I the world's best dancer when there's no mirror, I'm also the world's best singer, it's just that recording equipment fails to capture the sweet purity of my voice. But I sound great to me.

That seriously made me giggle. Lol. I am a "wonderful": singer as well! haha
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try a Zumba class. I think Zumba feels like you're in a Latin Music video. We do Salsa steps and popping and all sorts of really fun dance moves. Give it a shot!
  • layge
    layge Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a kinect and a Wii and love the dance games.

If anything I feel they are better on the Kinect as it tracks your movement better, making you learn the moves properly.

If you love dancing then do it! If you pick something you love doing you will stick to it. I get bored easily when exercising so give up but dancing is fun and I could do it all night!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Seriously, when I'm bored and have been sitting too long because of homework, and my roommates and boyfriend are at work, I dance around the apartment in a sports bra and short shorts like a lunatic with the music BLASTING. I don't care what I look like as long as my knees are going high in the air and I'm putting in a lot of effort until i get sweaty and tired. That's gotta burn some kind of calories.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Hehe... thanks everyone. Maybe I shouldn't care what I look like, but rather have fun with it and burn those calories! :)
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect =)
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I have a question... I love the Hip Hop style dancing. Especially Ciara and Beyonce. I'm a Diva, Never Ever, 1, 2 Step.... wow! They look so sexy doing it. So, I figured that I would try dancing to lose some weight and to feel sexy about myself. Wow, that attempt was a fail. lol. I looked like a Seal on Acid. No joke. ;) lmao. I have no rhythm whatsoever. haha.

Anybody have any ideas how to loosen up, be flexible, and overall just enjoy myself. I know it burns mad calories and once you accomplish the routine correctly, you feel great about yourself.

Thanks y'all! :)
  • andreig
    andreig Posts: 2
    Options
    Its a good idea
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I started doing Zumba on my game console at home a little over a year ago. I went from being a very bad dancer, to not so bad.
    I love to dance. I am so much better now. I would even go out in public and dance... maybe.
    I also think I burn the most calories dancing.
    I put my HRM on and put on some good dance songs and burn a ton. :smile:
  • sirenap123
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

LOL. That is great! BTW, I have the same problem. I blame other peoples' defective eyes and ears though. :laugh:
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    I have gained a significant amount of weight since I last went dancing, and honestly I don't know how long I could stay on the dance floor but I LOVE to dance. I think going dancing is just too much fun and I always feel it the next day. Why not just go for fun, no mirrors, middle of the dance floor and just enjoy. If you were in L.A. I'd go with you! Tons of free spots to dance at. Cuz really nobody's watching, they're just dancing too.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    real good workout with Beachbody's Rockin' Body
  • pearly_blue
    Options
    i know i look ridiculous when i dance, but that's "okay"! because dancing is FUN.
    i tried a zumba class, but cannot get the moves down unless i have a one-on-one instructor ( i get lost in a group setting ).
    so i dance in my room, and just got a book from the medical library on dancing for fitness.
    now i just need to buy a stereo... :: ^_^ :: lol.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If there is one near you, I suggest Jazzercise. Their instructors are well trained, its a friendly crowd and you will dance.
    When I started Jazzercise I was 230 pounds and was worried I would stand out. There are women there at every stage of fitness and there are modifications for any high impact moves.
    At first I was just exercising to music, but now I'm Dancing! And I've lost 62 pounds. MFP and Jazzercise share the credit.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE to dance and would have probably fared much worse in my weight loss endeavor had I not found Zumba. I'm now a Zumba instructor, and I have to say that you have to get over your insecurity pretty darn fast when you're trying to lead a room full of people in a dance routine - all of those sets of eyes on you watching your every move!

I also dance while sitting at my desk, sitting in the car, walking across the kitchen floor, cooking, cleaning, putting away the laundry...you get the picture.

I agree that doing Zumba in the privacy of your own home with a Wii, Kinect, etc...is a FANTASTIC idea! There's nothing quite like doing a live class to encourage you to push a little harder, though. I push VERY hard when I'm teaching, and yet if there's one person in the class that's able to keep up, I push a little harder just to encourage HER to push harder!

It doesn't matter what you look/sound like as long as you LOVE WHAT YOU'RE DOING!
  • pearly_blue
    Options
    thanks! i will look into jazzercise!
    i know there is a jazzercise group locally,
    but i don't know if i can afford it atm >_<
    is there a youtube link you can post of a jazzercise clip?
    i would like to know what the music & movements are like~*