Humiliation = new rock bottom :-(

Options
OnMyWeigh464
OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
I am at the West Edmonton Mall indoor amusement park with my two girls and three of their friends. I was asked to get off two of the rides (almost 3 but I sucked my damn gut in...no way was I gonna let it happen three times!!) because the restraints didn't fit around my body :-( I've lost 12 pounds since recommencing my journey on February 26 but it's still not enough to fit on some of the rides. I was/am soooo humiliating and even though I reached my own personal rock bottom I feel as though this is just another hurdle along the way OUT of rock bottom. I just wanna lay down and cry...

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Just think about walking into the mall six months from now and not thinking twice about riding the rides and you'll be okay. No one will remember you by then or recognize you, either. Also, I'd rather be the person being told no you can't ride than the person who has to tell people that all day, and believe me, you aren't the first that day and you won't be the last. Can't be a fun job, but it's for safety reasons.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    This event should your biggest motivator. Seriously, you should remember how you felt every single time you want to give up.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Please don't let this stop you! Sometimes hitting a bottom is what we need! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • mrscrone02
    mrscrone02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This event should your biggest motivator. Seriously, you should remember how you felt every single time you want to give up.

Absolutely!!!!

And - huge, huge hugs to you!!!!!! Don't give up, keep at it!!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you were humiliated, and I can empathize. The best reward can be to turn that humiliation into something that works for you, something that fuels you. Just know you will never have to go back to that place because you will work hard here. We will all support you!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    Options
    Thanks. I won't be letting this allow me to give up. This is the reason I wanna keep going. It's just that it was pretty embarrassing at the time. I simply told my kids that "my boobs are too big" hahahaha
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Let this motivate you to do what you need to do. Get angry at the weight and treat it the way it deserves to be treated, like an unwelcomed guest. Show it the door! I am struggling with this journey too and it is with the help and support of those on this road that I make an effort daily to do better. I am not and never will be perfect and neither will you. But we can be BETTER! That's my goal, to be better. Good Luck to you and if you need another friend on MFP feel free to add me.
  • StacyJCrain
    StacyJCrain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thats the attitude to have. Just remember you have friends here that keep you motivated and pick you up when your down.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I know how that feels. Several years ago, when I "only" weighed around 220, I was told in front of a group of a dozen or so strangers that I'd need to weigh myself before going horseback riding because if I was over 250lbs he didn't want to overburden the horse.

I was newly married, barely an adult (19 year old), and on the first part of my first real vacation. I was so hurt, and mortified, embarrassed... I cried for what seemed like forever in the car. And then I gained another 150 lbs. *sigh*
  • OnMyWeigh464
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I know how that feels. Several years ago, when I "only" weighed around 220, I was told in front of a group of a dozen or so strangers that I'd need to weigh myself before going horseback riding because if I was over 250lbs he didn't want to overburden the horse.

I was newly married, barely an adult (19 year old), and on the first part of my first real vacation. I was so hurt, and mortified, embarrassed... I cried for what seemed like forever in the car. And then I gained another 150 lbs. *sigh*

Ya...I can't go horse back riding yet :-( That'll be one of my rewards when I lose a bit more weight.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am at the West Edmonton Mall indoor amusement park with my two girls and three of their friends. I was asked to get off two of the rides (almost 3 but I sucked my damn gut in...no way was I gonna let it happen three times!!) because the restraints didn't fit around my body :-( I've lost 12 pounds since recommencing my journey on February 26 but it's still not enough to fit on some of the rides. I was/am soooo humiliating and even though I reached my own personal rock bottom I feel as though this is just another hurdle along the way OUT of rock bottom. I just wanna lay down and cry...

Each one of us have hit rock bottom at some point (that point where we HAD to change our ways to survive, physically or emotionally)...and that is why we are here.

Use that feeling you have to be angry (not at the ride, the operator, or anyone else) but at what has done this to you. The comfort food, the high-caloric intake that your body doesn't need, and an activity level that doesn't support that high-caloric intake. In other words - be angry that you participated in your situation, and use this situation to be the catalyst of change.

You are not alone, you CAN do this...
  • denjoh17
    denjoh17 Posts: 18
    Options
    We've all been there, everyone has had that moment - I'm so sorry you had to feel humiliated. People suck, but you know what, use this to fuel your weight loss. I am always inspired by others when I read these posts. I know it keeps me going, I hope it does for you, too. :)
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Absolutely!!!!

And - huge, huge hugs to you!!!!!! Don't give up, keep at it!!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, my cousin treated my exhusband and I to a day at the amusement park. We could barely ride any of the rides. The two of us were just two big. It was horrible the way I felt. You would think that would have been enough to make me want to lose weight, right? Wrong. I continued to get bigger. Then I decided to start changing the way I live.

My friends took me to the same amusement park last year, and I was so excited that I was able to ride every single ride I went on. I am deathly afraid of roller coasters, but I said I would ride every single one we could get on because I wanted to experience life as a "normal" person. It was incredible.

Keep your chin up and keep working hard and you will get to experience the rides next time you go!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    happened to me last year and my 8 year old was crushed because I couldn't go on his favorite ride with him. not a good feeling
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have been there and yes it is humiliating. I have a list of things I want to do once I get this weight off. In my top ten is ride a roller coaster again. Hugs. Use it as a motivator.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It happened to me at six flags in 1992. I was on a date, out of town and had to spend another day and a half with the girl. Needless to say I was so mortified I ruined everyone's vacation.

I hope you don't do what I did. I ignored the problem and gained another 150 pounds over the next decade and a half. Please, please, please use this moment in a positive way or forget it entirely.

Ml,

Craig