Garlic press

Options
new318
new318 Posts: 27 Member
Hello. I have been adding fresh garlic to my dinners but notice that some of the peel is coming through and into the foods when pressed. Just wanted to know if this was ok and if there was a way to avoid it. Thanks everyone :D

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Peel it before you press it? :tongue:

I have one that does a good job of pressing it without passing the peels through, but I usually still peel it first anyway - seems easier to clean it afterwards, and less of the good stuff gets stuck in the smashed peelings, etc.
  • new318
    Options
    It is a william and saoma and noI dont mind I just wanted to make sure it was sae. I know some ruits and veggies you shouldnt eat the peel so I wanted to make sure :) I did try to peel most of the peel off. ;P Thanks.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I love that you posted about a garlic press because I just got one and previously just minced all my garlic. Now, using the press, I am like...WHERE IS ALL THE GARLIC? If I mince it myself it gets much more out of it? I do not like the press at all, personally. Does anyone else have that problem?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't like using a press either. I use a garlic mandolin if I am feeling lazy, or just chop it. It helps me practice my knife skills. :smile:
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeeeeeeee garlic! I just buy the minced garlic in a jar! I can get it cheap at Ocean State Job Lot or maybe Christmas Tree Shop. I get a big jar of it! :)
  • quink77
    quink77 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have the Pampered Chef garlic press - you don't have to peel the garlic before you crush it (and it's actually easier to clean out if you leave the peel on).
    But if I do want to peel it first, I use Rachael Ray's trick of whacking the clove of garlic with the side of a large knife. This cracks the peel and makes it really easy to remove. She always grates the garlic with a fine cheese grater, but I tend to grate the tips of my fingers when I try that. :noway:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I buy it by the jar.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Grab your garlic clove, cutting board and a big knife. Smash the clove under the flat of the blade with your fist. Tilt the sharp part down/away from you. Works better if the handle is over the side of the counter. The peel will be really easy to remove. :) Then you can use your press, or its very easy to chop up.

Edit to add, I did this this morning. :) Learned it off food network. I <3 Alton Brown.
  • new318
    Options
    I have the Pampered Chef garlic press - you don't have to peel the garlic before you crush it (and it's actually easier to clean out if you leave the peel on).
    But if I do want to peel it first, I use Rachael Ray's trick of whacking the clove of garlic with the side of a large knife. This cracks the peel and makes it really easy to remove. She always grates the garlic with a fine cheese grater, but I tend to grate the tips of my fingers when I try that. :noway:

I had thought of that but was worried about doing that. ;)
  • new318
    Options
    Grab your garlic clove, cutting board and a big knife. Smash the clove under the flat of the blade with your fist. Tilt the sharp part down/away from you. Works better if the handle is over the side of the counter. The peel will be really easy to remove. :) Then you can use your press, or its very easy to chop up.

Edit to add, I did this this morning. :) Learned it off food network. I <3 Alton Brown.

Awesome!!!! Thank you :D
  • new318
    Options
    Didnt realize you could get it from christmas tree shop. If I decided to buy it in the jar for lazier days is it just as healthy? Thanks for all you tips and help. :)