CONFUSED ON CALORIES....HELP!

Options
Ok, So this is the start of week 4 for me, and I have not lost anything this past week. I've been trying to find more information on exactly how much I should be consuming. On MFP I originally put a weightloss goal of 1 lb per week. I am 5'11 tall, 23 years old and currently weigh 309.4 pounds. It gave me a daily goal of 2350. I've had a hard time reaching that goal, and then when I exercise it tells me to eat even more!

So then I've been adjusting things and I put the goal as 2 pounds per week and it gave me a daily goal of 1820. I looked up my BMR and it is 2,229.

(My goal weight for now is 250)

So can some one PLEASE tell me how many I should be NETTING? Thank You!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    How much do you exercise?

I would eat 2300-2400 calories, then your daily activities + exercise is where you will burn all of your calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, So this is the start of week 4 for me, and I have not lost anything this past week. I've been trying to find more information on exactly how much I should be consuming. On MFP I originally put a weightloss goal of 1 lb per week. I am 5'11 tall, 23 years old and currently weigh 309.4 pounds. It gave me a daily goal of 2350. I've had a hard time reaching that goal, and then when I exercise it tells me to eat even more!

So then I've been adjusting things and I put the goal as 2 pounds per week and it gave me a daily goal of 1820. I looked up my BMR and it is 2,229.

(My goal weight for now is 250)

So can some one PLEASE tell me how many I should be NETTING? Thank You!

At your size, you can safely go below your BMR for a while. I would suggest netting 1820.
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    How much do you exercise?

Since I started MFP on March 2nd I do at the very least 30 minutes of exercising. Sometimes up to 60 minutes. Then on Monday-Friday I walk about 30 minutes everyday to pick up my son from school
  • carolyns19
    Options
    First off, Congrats! Your profile pic shows some awesome progress :)

I can't see your diary, but it may not be entirely dependent on your cals, but also what kind of cals. You may want to consider opening up your diary for better advice, but here are some blanket tidbits:

-Track sodium-- that will cause you to be bloated
    -Stop drinking calories (except for low fat milks or healthy smoothies), this will often help people shed quite a bit of weight.
    -Add strength training. This will do so much more for you than cardio/walking. Consider carrying weights with you on walks to pump your biceps or tricpes along the way.

Good Luck!!
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    Thank You! Thats why I am confused as to why the weight loss has suddenly stopped because I've lost 9 pounds but this week there was NOTHING. not an ounce.....

As far as calories, for the most part I do okay, I have some slips here and there but it's nothing way to overboard. Like, I have my young kids so sometimes I will make chicken nuggets for them, and I will pop one in my mouth, or my husband had a tres leche cake (weakness!) and I had a tiny piece. It was like the width of my finger rather than an average slice of cake. LOL. My breakfast is usually cereal with fruit, oatmeal and a fruit, or some kind of eggs (scrambeled, egg in a basket, etc) Lunch is usally a sandwich, some kind of salad, or cottage and fruit. Dinner is usually a meat with a carb like potatos pasta or rice with a veggie and sometimes a salad on the side. Snacks are usually fruits or veggies like carrot sticks or yogurt and I have the 100 calorie snack pack things for when I have sweet tooth. Sometimes a snack is the Special K protein meal bars too.

I know the problem isn't in what I drink because I have not drank anything but water since I started. I have had one glass of 2% milk and I put milk in my cereal which I do track. I have also had 2 cans of soda since I started on March 2nd. Thats it......other than that it ALL water!

I opened my diary, it's public now.
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found out that i needed a lower goal. I changed the info on my job to the lowest setting and that helped. also telling them how much u plan to work out will change it. Mess with that until you get to the 1800-1900 you want. It used to have me over 2000 too until i did that.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    This is week 4 -- it's not time of the month is it? ... I wouldn't let one week throw you off. Check again next week.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This amount doesn't seem right to me. Why dont you try recalculating. I am 5ft 11 and on much fewer calories.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This amount doesn't seem right to me. Why dont you try recalculating. I am 5ft 11 and on much fewer calories.

Of course. You weigh over 100 pounds less. BMR depends on height, age, and weight.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let one week throw you off. Check again next week.

I agree. Nine pounds in the first four weeks is 2.25 pounds per week, when your stated goal was 1 pound per week. Don't freak out about one week with no loss. It's probably your body holding on to water to repair muscles that you haven't exercised until recently.

Great progress. Congratulations!
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    This is week 4 -- it's not time of the month is it? ... I wouldn't let one week throw you off. Check again next week.

Nope. I had that during week 2 :)
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options

The BMR depends on all factors such as age, sex, height and weight. I am 5'11 yes, but you might be skinnier than me. I'm 309 LBS
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    I wouldn't let one week throw you off. Check again next week.

I agree. Nine pounds in the first four weeks is 2.25 pounds per week, when your stated goal was 1 pound per week. Don't freak out about one week with no loss. It's probably your body holding on to water to repair muscles that you haven't exercised until recently.

Great progress. Congratulations!

Thank you! That's very encouraging. When there is no loss I just feel like giving up all together!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica - first of all - I am so proud of you, I am watching your logging and exercise efforts everyday and you are so committed, and so motivated, you are doing really well - you deserve a HUGE *high-five* for your accomplishments so far. Don't get discouraged - I know how much it sucks to work so hard and see no progress... don't give up... power thru! -- I KNOW you will!!!

Anyhoo - I read this thread the other day and found it really helpful... maybe give it a read?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important

Hang in there!
  • shell5211
    shell5211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Michelle, I just started today with MFP, but have lost 20 lbs in the last few months trying to do it on my own. Congratulations on last week's loss, and from your pictures their is a noticeable change in your appearance. I just glanced at your diary and I think that you should drink more water/beverages because I thought I saw only 2-3 glasses, it is really important in weight loss. Anyone is welcome to add me to their friend list.
  • reashamoriba
    reashamoriba Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

you are doing great. I am in the 300's & 5'6" . I see your log & you are doing fine. Just keep it up and congrats on the weight loss