New to the program

Options
Hi,

My name is Sandra, new to this program, excited about being able to keep up with my eating habits.....I have never had good eating habits....my main diet consisted of mostly fast foods and large homecooked meals with alot of deep frying (I still cook for 5 even though there are now just 2 of us). My mother said to me one day...."Sandra, you need to learn to eat to live....not live to eat." One good thing is that i like almost every kind of food there is....so i don't mind eating all kinds of veggies and or cuisines....i just make bad choices on what tastes good.
So far, one thing that has really helped me out is to look up and write down the foods i normally order from fast food restaurants to see how many calories i eat without thinking about it. I was amazed at how many calories i would eat at one time.
Eventually, i would like to include some exercise into my daily schedule...i just haven't decided what type of exercise i want to do.
About me personally, I am married to a wonderful man, coming up on 25 years and we have 3 adult children that are now all on their own. At home, we have 4 half lab dogs that keep us busy. We keep a large vegetable garden every year and we love to fish.
My main goal is to improve my eating habits and take on a healthier lifestyle. If i can drop 30-40 lbs that would be great...if not that much.....20 will do !
Good luck to you all with your fitness goals!!

Sandra :)

Replies

• futmom
    futmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandra! Sounds like you and I can both help motivate each other. Don't eat very well, but trying to get better at it. Let's try to lose that weight together!
  • elizalb1
    elizalb1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey Sandra I'm Liz and new to MFP too! I see we're all in the same boat looking for some encouragement and tips from other users and it's great that you both are open to helping out too. With the fast food calorie tracker it helps so much. I have a job that keeps me on the go and has long hours as a marketer so I'm breaking the habit of just grabbing a quick bite to eat from fast food too! It surprises me how many calories some of my favorite foods contained like the fiesta salad from taco bell or a burger from McDonalds! If it helps subway is a GREAT substitute for eating fast food, you can even build your sub before you purchase it on their website.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jennifer and have been here a little over 60 days. I'm always looking for supportive friends. Add me if you like!
  • Gettingmeback7
    Options
    Hi guys I'm new too and in the same boat! Let's all connect and help each other reach our goals! It's hard breaking old habits but I am trying my best too.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sandra, I hope you enjoy it in here. I've only been here a week, already a 2lb loss, but the best thing for me is that it has CHANGED MY THINKING which in turn has changed what I used to do, it has changed my life. You say you don't know which exercise is for you yet. All those pets you have, start with walking the doggies! :smile: That's all I'm doing at the moment, walking and cleaning is also an exercise (log everything in) and the occasional zumba class. I want to try strength training as well because I know the older I get, the weaker I am in muscle strength, plus toned muscles look really good! Much better than soft swinging flab like the bat wings I intend to lose one day! lol
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My mother used to say that too...eat to live.
  • fordguy74
    fordguy74 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! feel free to add me if you wish.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support...I feel very positive about this site looking forward to getting to know you all!
    Thanks,
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Futmom,

I do need lots of motivation....i am actually the laziest person i know.....I know i am not always going to make the right food choices, but if i can continue to improve them with positive encouragement! Thanks, for being a friend!
    Sandra
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Elizablb1,

It's great that you have an active job...but i do understand the downfall of having to grab something to eat on the run!! I have been there many times....I have a job were not all but most of the time i am stuck to a channel for 4 hours at a time ( i do get plenty of relief for restroom, or if my lunch period falls on that time or if i need up to heat up food). The good thing is that i can raise or lower my desk....i do spend 60 percent of that time standing...only because i get restless sitting all the time. Sometimes, though, when they order out......its very hard to say no!
    Fast Food is a big problem for me too and what has really helped is a notebook in my person listing the amount of calories from the places i like to eat and the things i like to order!
    Thanks for adding me as a friend!
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The more motivation the better right?! Please feel free to add me :happy:
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Jesea,
    Thank you, i sent a friends request to you. I have learned so much from just logging my food. I bet you have some gr8 tips to pass along from the last two months..would love to hear them!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Getting me back,
    Yes, breaking old habits is a very tough thing....it's easier to break them when you have got someone working with you!
    Thanks for adding me!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome Metroplex neighbor !!!! :happy: :happy:
  • wanda_50
    wanda_50 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Sandra! Feel free to add me, if you wish.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Coconutbunz,
    You are right about walking the dogs....my dogs are big babies....i have one that will fall flat on the ground when you try to walk him...he hates being leashed. I have two that are possible walkable if i work with them.....the 4th my husband would have to walk because he pulls away from me.
    I had a gym membership a few years back and a personal trainer for that year. I did so well, got into really good shape (still ate what i wanted when i wanted) but the reason i was not able to stick with it long was that my husband would want to do other things and I was getting the impression that the gym was only getting in the way for us. Now he works out at his job every third day. He works one day and then off on two days.....he would meet me at the gym on his way home from work and we would drive back home together...at that time i would get off work at 6 am....go to the gym and by about 8 or 830 he would be passing that area. It wasn't that he wasn't supportive of me going...but on days i was scheduled to train...if he was off work he would want to go fishing all day (which i love) or something.
    I have actually thought about the Zumba classes. There is a class in my area and i tried to get my daughter to go with me, but she is not really interested in Zumba. That is a good possible choice for me to try!
    Thanks,
    Sandra
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    hey all :) feel free to add me always gret to talk to new ppl
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Fordguy,
    Thank you, i did add you!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    KellyG,
    Thank you! Thanks for your support! I will add you!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    Options
    Donna,
    Very cool to have someone close!! I added you.