Adding back calories burned

Options
I was wondering how many of you here on mfp add back the calories that you burn to your daily budget? MFP starts me out with a 1300 calorie budget, which I feel is low, so I am tempted. What results have you guys seen from doing this?

Replies

• SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    I eat some of my burned calories but if I would be really hungry I would eat all of them back no doubt about it!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many of you here on mfp add back the calories that you burn to your daily budget? MFP starts me out with a 1300 calorie budget, which I feel is low, so I am tempted. What results have you guys seen from doing this?

you are SUPPOSED to eat the calories burned.

Here's one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if Im really hungry and if my workout was early in the day. I often have to workout after work and I don't like to eat too close to my bedtime. I have been losing at about a pound a week doing this.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    this is a hot topic on MFP... but personally I eat all or most of my exercise calroies, if I dont I find I dont lose and Im not happy....
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry. If I'm not I don't.

Actually I eat even when I don't have excercise calories if I get hungry. As long as I stay under 1600 I'm loosing weight... But I usually stay full on 1200 as long as I don't get stupid and eat candy and stuff.

Alot of people here say you should always eat ALL of your excercise calories, alot of people say you don't have to.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I eat some or all, just depending on how hungry I am. I don't lose as well if I don't eat them.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

blessings.

Nicely put. This makes me rethink somethings.
  • jboogiegrl11
    Options
    I HAVE to eat back the calories I burn. As an earlier posted noted, MFP has the deficit already built in. Initially, I was failing to eat back the calories, and once my metabolism started burning faster, the extra deficit stalled my weight loss. Also, I've noticed the more diligent I am about hitting my calorie mark for the day, the more inches I lose (about an inch every 3 days or so). Fuel yourself!
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm so glad I read this! I also have a friend who uses MFP who just told me about this.

I had NO idea!!!
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What Sleepy Texan said! Thats how I've A) lost my weight, and
    B) managed to not be hungry. I couldn't eat less, I'd be starving!
  • bennscrappy
    bennscrappy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat back the calories, but I do try to achieve the higher protein and dietary fiber goals for the day while not going over my original calorie goal.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Unlike almost every other diet/calorie counting site out there, MFP does not include intended exercise in your calorie goal. That means if you don't eat the calories you burn exercising, you will go from having a moderate calorie deficit to having a very large one. That mean you will in effect be eating a very low calorie diet (VLCD) and while they have their place (a person who is morbidly obese and MUST lose weight due to immanent health reasons) the long term results from them are they result in a great loss of muscle, they mess up a person's hormone balance even a year after stopping, and they are not maintainable all of which mean people doing them pretty much always regain the weight they lost. If you eat your exercise calories you maintain that moderate deficit and thus make the diet less aggressive, less damaging, and more likely to be able to stick to it, and to maintain the loss after you go back to maintenance.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options

--

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people wount walking across a parking lot as exercise.

blessings.

thanks so much for that!! My BMR is 1650 and lately im struggling to get to that! but i have not been losing in the last couple weeks and im never hungry! not sure how to force it but i have to cuz i was on a roll and i love to exercise so im just creating a bigger hole! lol dang-it
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your goals so that you will lose weight without exercise. So then when you exercise you need to eat extra to fuel workouts. Some people eat all those calories back, some only partially. Some people set their own calorie goal up manually to be not as low as MFP would set, and those people do not eat back the calories because they have already figured them in.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    sleepytexan:

I would make one correction to your post.

You said:

Not exactly. The deficit MFP sets is not from BMR but from TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). MFP calculates TDEE as a multiplier to BMR based on your activity level. This is, effectively, your maintenance level.

For example, using my stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 272
    Weight loss goal: 1 lb/week
    Activity level: sedentary
    BMR: 1913
    TDEE: 2400
    Daily calorie goal: 1900 (2400 - 500)

So, I am eating just about my BMR. My 500 calorie deficit supports a 1 lb/week weight loss.

I eat back most, but not all, of my exercise calories BUT I only log 2/3 of my exercise time, to make sure that my exercise calories aren't overestimated. Seems to be working well for me. And if I don't eat them back on a given day, I don't worry about it much, as long as I don't go more than 500 under. BUT, I am not down around 1200-1300 calories like smaller people, so I can well afford to be a bit more cavalier.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This statement below about needing to eat your calories is 100% on target. I did it for two years of not taking in enough calories!!! I ran my heart out training for a half marathon, but didn't eat enough. My body wanted food, and I couldn't lose and fought to not gain weight... And my hair stopped growing... Eat your exercise calories!!! Please!!!

--

blessings.
  • RaniMerryman
    RaniMerryman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree... eat more food. If I don't eat back my exercise calories, I find I don't lose weight. The 2 things that I have found that affect my weight loss the most... oddly enough are not eating ENOUGH (I am amused every time I type that) and poor sleep. I have a fitbit pedometer which monitors my sleep. I lose more weight when I consistently get 7-8 hours as opposed to busy weeks when I am getting 5-6 a night. I also find that increasing my protein intake when I burn more than 600 cardio calories makes significant difference. gl!
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just completed my second week and I did eat back almost all my calories both weeks. We will see tomorrow is my second week weigh in.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree... eat more food. If I don't eat back my exercise calories, I find I don't lose weight. The 2 things that I have found that affect my weight loss the most... oddly enough are not eating ENOUGH (I am amused every time I type that) and poor sleep. I have a fitbit pedometer which monitors my sleep. I lose more weight when I consistently get 7-8 hours as opposed to busy weeks when I am getting 5-6 a night. I also find that increasing my protein intake when I burn more than 600 cardio calories makes significant difference. gl!

Sleep Is huge for me to. I wont weigh myself if I sleep less than 7 hours, I'll wait until the next day!

Did you know you should replenish your body with protein within 45 minutes of working out? So you are right on track! I like EAS's carb advantage (low carb) protein shakes. 3g carbs, 17g protein, and 100-110 calories! I love the taste when they are cold!!! If I know I'm going for an intense workout, I put one from my fridge in a cooler pack w ice packs in the car so it's ready when I get done!! :)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don’t use the ones MFP s I have a specific number that I use that was given to me so I use those and then everyone once in a while I have to go back and adjust mine to fit the new body weight and the good/bad fat.
    As far as adding back in the calories that MFP gives me for working out I don’t add in any exercise till the end of the day then I add it back in and by the time it is calculated in it is time for me to go to bed. This works well for me for if I eat then add them in I am more inclined to over eat. I see those extra number and think wow look at that I have more calories so I can have this apple pie oh and I can have one more slice of turkey.
    So if I just go about my day and make the right choices and keep to a schedule I do really well, so at the end of the night I add in my work outs and I am pretty close on sometimes I am not perfect and I do go over.