ITBS (IT Band Syndrome), anyone?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone here has the Iliotibial Band Syndrome.

After years of not being able to run, use the stairs for exercises for long periods of time or walking long distances without getting major pain on the external sides of my knees, I discovered based on the symptoms I have ITBS. Usually it happens to those who ride a lot of bicycle or to runners.

As far as I've seen, the most common ways to make it better better and be able to run again is to get massage therapy on the area, stretches and use the roller foam. Anyone else knows of methods to work on it at home?

By the way, this is a very interesting video that explains the ITBS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVawB-is4A

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I had it last fall. I went to the chiropractor and he worked out the knots and I got a foam roller. It's all better now, but I use the foam roller all the time. Best $20, even though the thing HURTS, it's sooooo much better after a good roll out.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Came back from my marathon earlier this month with my IT bothering me, a lot of stretching and the foam roller got me running again.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I get massages, and see the chiropractor, both help. At night i take a rolling pin and go down the band to loosen it up. IT band injuries are the WORST!! I couldnt run for almost a year, but im doing great now, you just have to keep up on it!
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Thanks for that video, I will pass that along to my daughter in law who is a runner. She gets that problem too. So far the only thing I've heard about her using were the things you mentioned. It can get so bad she screams. It's awful when it happens.

If you find a better treatment, please let us know.
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a Physio Assistant and massage will help combined with some stretches. It can be VERY painful (the massage) or muscle stripping, see a professional Physiotherapist or massage therapist, they will have answers for you.
  • esalzman
    esalzman Posts: 3
    Options
    Definitely a foam roller! This is very common for runners and pregnant women. The best foam rollers are from OPTP.
  • ResetJen
    ResetJen Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use the foam roller and it just becomes part of the routine like stretching. It's never pleasant it is what is it...."maintenance".

Sometimes when it's really bad, like walking downstairs or going downhill is painful, I'd get a deep tissue massage and a combo with needles from my physio to also release other muscles...achillies, calf etc, acupuncture worked for me, though it doesn't everybody.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the foam roller seems to be one of the best options and one of the most painful ones too :bigsmile:
    I'll deal with the pain as long as I can start running again. I really miss running. At least it doesn't affect my bicycle riding.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have very bad knee's and just had knee surgery (another clean out) but this time my kneecap is tracking wrong do to all the swelling, this is a first never had this happen before so we are trying new treatments and my PT just start Kinesiology taping and I was floored at the results from the initial taping.. The technique he used taped my knee cap so it actually is lifted and positioned my knee cap where it should be tracking.. This increases blood flow to the area for healing and stopped the clicking and reduced the pain quite a bit. I asked him what else this works on and he said it is unlimited that there is lots of injuries this helps with and IT banding is one of them.. Something to consider...... Good luck......
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot and have it. It has been really problematic for the past two years, keeping me out of most exercise I enjoy (I do aikido and this is really a problem in that martial art with all the twisting). Chiropractor has helped as does the foam roller. PT didn't help too much but I didn't have enough time for it. What I have just started to use, and is helping tremendously, is a lift in one of my shoes as it turns out the underlying cause is likely because one leg is shorter than the other. You might want to ask your PT or Chiropractor about that as I am able to walk long distances now without much pain (still a bit sore). It's only been 4-days with the lift and it feels better than it has in a couple of years. Please check that out, as most of us have one leg shorter than another, and I have a feeling age just makes the little problems get worse...

Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Video.
    I've saved it for current and future use.
    Very handy.
    I have early onset of ITBS from weak Hip muscles and going too hard running.
    I'll add icing the knee four times a day, especially after running or a lot of walking plus taking Aleve twice daily helps with the swelling.
    Great post :happy: