Hi I am ...

Options
Shawna from Pennsylvania... I am 51 years old and am approx. 60 overweight. Right now I am so depressed...tracked my food and I am over 600 calories over my target caloric intake and I haven't even had dinner yet. I thought I did so well today...didn't eat breakfast, had salad bar at Hoss's and a small Talapia filet with rice pilaf, a few tortilla chips with cheese sauce, French onion soup with cheese and croutons, a very small piece of cheesecake (and I mean like 2 bites small) and one small sugar cookie. Really? I am not sure I can do this but hopefully I can stay with it.

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    YES you can and will do this!!! Add in the sodium column as I found this helped me so I didn't retain any "extra" water. I was shocked at knowing "everything" has sodium in it...even celery!! You need to eat breakfast...important! This will set your routine for your entire day and prevent you from reaching for not so good stuff. You can totally do this...own your JOURNEY! It's now or never.... :flowerforyou:
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hi, Shawna...

It never seems like a lot..until we actually look at it in b/w. Skip dinner..or eat an apple and have some tea, and then get back on track tomorrow.

If it helps..track what you're THINKING about eating..BEFORE you eat it. Most times, when I see that number spike..I'll change my mind about eating it..and I'll reach for some nuts instead...or my favorite..a sweet, crunchy apple.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The great thing about tracking food is you'll come to realize what has a lot of calories and what doesn't.
    It's a journey, and you'll get better along the way.

Remember it calculates a deficit for you, so over eating may just get you to maintaining your weight.

Alternatively, you can do what I do, eat what I like, and burn it off. (most days) =)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it.
    If you don't mind me saying, your menu is heavy on the fat calories.
    Try to eat better food that doesn't need cheese sauce, etc....

Good Luck
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    You can do this, Shawna. Tracking calories and exercise gets easier!!!

Like funnygirl said, breakfast is important! It kick starts your metabolism for the day.

Tomorrow is a new day! Get back on track!
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Need to make healthier choices.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    You CAN do it!!! This is just the beginning where you learn the calories of foods. It WILL get easier to track and stay under or at calories. Remember not to try to go too low on our calories. Follow the one lb per week suggestion and you will be surprised how it comes off and you won't be starving yourself in any way either. Good luck!
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You also can earn more calories by working out. So, get a 30 minute walk in and earn back a couple hundred calories. Eventually (sooner than later), you'll learn what foods that you like that have fewer calories and which ones just aren't worth the high calories. It's definitely a learning process. But YOU'RE WORTH IT! Hang in there! Do it for YOU!
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That is why this site is here. You track your food intake and you can see where you are making your mistakes. You can do this. We are all here doing the same thing, losing excess weight. We got this!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    you are in the right place. this is a great tool and if you use it and respect yourself enough to be accountable to you, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Today may have been a good learning experience. I have had a few of these since I joined as well. You think you are doing so well but when you put it all in you are in a WOW What the heck did I eat? Learn from your mistakes and go from there. You didn't post what your goal is. You are probably still fine for the day but can't say for sure. Stick with it and learn and better a better tomorrow.
  • Longtobeslim
    Longtobeslim Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can do this. What you ate sounded like a lot of food to me as I was reading it, but maybe not. Only you know if it was a lot. I agree with tracking your food before you eat it.

Most days I track ALL my food for the day first thing in the morning. That way I stay on track easier throughout the day and know how many calories I have for dinner and an evening snack if I want one. Sometimes I even set my meals and snacks up the evening before.

I go out to dinner at least 2 days a week with friends. I find out what restaurant we are going to so I can look up nutritional information ahead of time to better prepare myself to make healthier choices.

If I don't know ahead of time which restaurant we are going to will ask the server about healthier choices if they are not listed on the menu (although most restaurants now have lower calorie choices).

I am also lucky in that I have an Android phone that I can look calories up while I am at a restaurant with the menu right in front of me.

Just try to pre-plan as much as possible and you will do great.

Good luck, hang in there.

Erin
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Eat breakfast.
    Replace those sweet desserts with fruit, and save the desserts for occasional treats a couple of times a month.
    Log all of your food before you eat it so that you aren't surprised later and so that you have room to eat dinner.

All of the best! It's a journey and you will learn day by day. You can totally do this. :)
    Don't forget to exercise!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I took the first few weeks on MFP to just relearn eating. Portion sizes were killing me. And, cheese. Watch what you eat and figure out what you're willing to avoid. I say avoid and not give up entirely because I don't believe in giving up anything I truly like entirely. But, instead of having it regularly - like cheese sauce - have it only occasionally and less than a full serving.

The hardest thing about weight loss is patience, and the second is forgiving ourselves for being human. Take it one day at a time, strive to be healthier, and you CAN do this!

Oh - and don't starve yourself. If you're over and you haven't had dinner yet and you're hungry, eat something. Just make it on the smaller size.
  • MomDupuis
    MomDupuis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 53 and 60over. You can do this, but support, food choices and a desire to change how you eat and live is a must. I will repeat that Breakfast is the most important to get your body working for you. Try a cereal with protien in it (Kashi toasted cinnamon or Go Lean Crunch) If there is no time in the morning even a slice of toast and peanut butter or an apple is better then nothing.

Then try 4-6 small meals rather then 1 or 2 big ones. It spreads out your eating and you will have calories when you feel hungry. Also I agree that you should cut out the cheesey dishes it is just a lot of fat and sodium. Track you sodium and drink your water it will help.

Chin up - it takes repetition to make a change in your eating habits. It won't happen in one day.:bigsmile:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Look... if it's less than you used to eat, you will see results at first. As you make changes, it'll be easier to get down to your goal. You'll find out quickly that by exercising, you can "earn" extra calories to eat in a day. I rarely stay "under" on a day that I don't exercise. Stick with it and don't try to change too much too fast... if you do, it's less likely to stick. You learned some good lessons today... just use them to your advantage in the future.

Also... how many lbs are you trying to lose per week? Start with just 1 and that will make things easier.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately cheese has a lot of calories, a friend told me a piece the size of your thumb has 240 calories - that's a tiny piece of cheese for a lot of calories. Good luck and I hope you stick with it, you can do it :smile:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice. The first few weeks really are about learning. I was shocked how many calories in was using just in creamer in my coffee. I slowly worked it down over about 6 weeks to 1 tbs because I enjoy it & now more than that seems to sweet. I used to drink only soda now I can hardly drink it, too sweet.

You CAN do this! ! This is a journey not an overnight transformation. I have been here 3 months & did not have a good eating week last week. Everyone has slip ups it is all about getting back on track the next day.

If your calorie allowance is way off from what you are used to raise it 100 or so for two weeks then drop it back down so you can adjust slowly. You did not gain 60 lbs overnight & it will take time to lose. Slow & steady wins the race.

Also get moving. Even if it just a 15min walk here & there. It will get you more calories & you will feel better.