Big Girl Bikini

Options
I have a question. I have always been told that certain bodies were built bigger. My husband today said that he wants me to wear a bikini and we set next summer as a goal for that. Is it true that some people are just built bigger and won't ever be a size suitable for a bikini?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you feel comfortable in
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The real question is, do YOU want to wear a bikini? Sounds like you don't.
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Some people are built bigger, but even if you're 6ft and as broad as an ox, you can still look fit and strong and sexy if you're in proportion. If massive guys can have flat stomachs and abs, I reckon we ladies can too, no matter how tall/broad we are :)
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    if you can't find one in your size you can sew one... it depends on the style you're looking for. the string ones are adjustable and the ties are pretty long. the triangles move... hope that helps... I've never worn one, but my mom made me make/sew one when I was in high school... never wore it!!! lol!!! I think your husband is awesome for supporting you!!! God bless!!!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Suitability,pardon the pun as we are talkingabout bathing suits, LOL!!! Is in my opinion totally up to your comfort level! If you feel good in it rock!! And if your hubby is wanting to see you in one what a plus!! FInd a nice supportive top with a pretty wrap and you are set!!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    very much so---I remember being in Hawaii and amazed at the different bodies in bikinis--what struck me the most was the confidence each woman held.
  • jessicaacampbell1
    jessicaacampbell1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's false!!! Big Girls can wear a Bikini. The question is...Is this girl comfortable in what she's wearing? If you're feeling yourself and you want to flaunt it, who's to stop you. Wear yours because I'll be wearing mine this summer!

Best of Luck !
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    think the phrase " to each his own" would suit. if you feel beautiful and your boyfriend sees you feel beautiful in it than you should. only important people's opinion should matter.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    a bikini is more about confidence than your weight/size.
    some people are naturally bigger, but that shouldn't stop you from wearing a bikini.
    if you feel like people are going to judge you (which most won't), try a high-waisted bikini. they're super classy anyway.
    il_570xN.267480394.jpg
  • kassiechambliss
    kassiechambliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for your help! (:
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think being fit for your height makes a bigger difference than body frame size. That said, I believe you should wear what you are comfortable with for you. I can understand him wanting to have you in a bikini, but if it isn't something you feel comfortable with at the time you don't have to.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have a muscle build that would never allow me to be a fashion model, lol, but when I have low bodyfat% i still think I look good in a bikini...and i have NO boobs. there is no harm in trying, and there is certainly no point in telling yourself that you'll never look good in a bikini before you have put one on.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would say not true. I think if your husband wants to see you in a bikini then he obviously thinks you have the body for it or at least potential..and that's all the matters! As long as you're confident you could wear it. When I see someone in a bikini that is lacking confidence and just clearly uncomfortable it makes me feel uncomfortable and awkward too.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm 229 and I LOVE wearing bikinis.
    I like the "Boom-Boom-VaVaVaVoom"
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree with what someone said in a previous post.....YOU are the only one who should care about wearing a bikini. Your husband would like you to wear one....but you know....it's nice to want. As long as he supports you with this journey then you both can celebrate your accomplishment whenever you finally achieve it....but again, it's something that you want to fullfill. Good Luck!
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame; big hands, broad shoulders, wide hips. Even when I lost ton of weight a few years back with weight watchers I never lost my 'big' shape. I don't wear bikinis as I don't feel comfortable in them and as I have have very fair skin I burn to a crisp when wearing one anyway so I stick to one piece suits.

You should go with what YOU feel good and comfortable wearing and not what someone else says you should wear. :smile:
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think anyone can wear a bikini, they just need to feel comfortable doing so. "Big boned" is not a thing, unless you're tall. Then you need those big bones.
    Some people have a tendency to put on weight faster and have a harder time losing it, OR carry their weight a bit differently. However, even if you're one of those people, you should still be able to get into a bikini. Even if you're not tiny by next summer, I still think you should go for it. Just get one that fits right and isn't uncomfortable.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I think anyone can wear a bikini, they just need to feel comfortable doing so. "Big boned" is not a thing, unless you're tall. Then you need those big bones.
    Some people have a tendency to put on weight faster and have a harder time losing it, OR carry their weight a bit differently. However, even if you're one of those people, you should still be able to get into a bikini. Even if you're not tiny by next summer, I still think you should go for it. Just get one that fits right and isn't uncomfortable.

"Big boned" is a thing. My mom literally has thinner bones than I do, along with smaller muscles. She's taller than me but her wrists, knees, etc. are narrower than mine.
  • FoxyPhoenixRising
    FoxyPhoenixRising Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with both HealthyJess88 and Cloud2011. People's builds do vary from very small petite frames to larger ones. Some people are naturally waif thin while others are more voluptuous. There are many different styles of bikinis out there. I think if you want to wear one you'll be able to find one that's right for you, if that is what you want.

I personally don't think there is just one "suitable size" that you need to be to wear a bikini. I think what's most important is what you feel sexy yet comfortable in. I do think you should be in reasonably good shape to rock a bikini, so setting a goal is a great idea. I'm shooting for dresses this summer, which I haven't worn since having kids, and bikinis next summer. This summer I'll keep it to sexy one-pieces that I think flatter me. It's all about what YOU feel good in and what YOU like. If you like it, I'm sure he will too! :love: (your hubby)
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think all these answers are awesome. You do what you feel and he loves you for you, that is what counts.