How do YOU manage the weekend snacking?

Options
I am very good about planning my meals M-F because I work in an office setting and it's easy to pack everything the night before. I'm struggling with bad habits and junk on the weekends. It's hard to plan a lot because I'm married to a very social and very busy man who is constantly on the go and our plans can change on a moments notice (i.e. I pull chicken out to make dinner Saturday night and find out at 4 that we are meeting friends at 6 for dinner and a few games of pool). I HAVE tried to compensate by packing healthy snacks and drinking all the water I need too. I think my biggest issue is when I go to a restaurant, I do not want to order salad because I have it so much M-F and usually one or twice as lunch on the weekends too. I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm allergic to dairy and peppers so I have to be careful with a lot of the "healthy meals" because I find they tend to be pepper heavy.

What do YOU do to make it through the weekend under goal?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I start eating later on the weekends. During the week I'm having my breakfast by 8:30 (at work) but on the weekends I don't usually eat until around noon. Usually excuse I've slept in and just not hungry. Leaves less time to eat :)
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, not very well this weekend lol!

I am with above poster though, my meals start later than during the week.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i am trying to have salads on weekends..so i have more calories for my favorite foods
  • Rollie277
    Rollie277 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, with a little half and half and stevia. Always helps me.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I handle this by having a spike/cheat/off day on Saturday. I eat within my calorie range Sun-Fri and stick to my exercise schedule of 4 hours a week. Saturday is my day to be free and flexible with eating and I do not log food or stress about what I eat that day. I still don't go crazy and over eat (even if I wanted to my body won't let me as it has adjusted to the 1800 cals a day I eat the rest of the week).

As for the restaurant food, forget salad and opt for a good protein like steak, grilled fish or grilled chicken and ask for steamed veggies (no potatoes).
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat later on the weekend too and i tried to drink more water... if i go out for dinner at a restraurant i try to pre plan by checking the online menu before i go.. I also try to exercise more so i could eat more. good luck!
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get in at least one good workout on Saturday or Sunday. If I don't make it to the gym I try to walk a few miles in my neighborhood. This helps get me a good buffer, or more usable calories. Try to eat smaller, high protein items throughout the day if you know you're going out to dinner, rather than a full breakfast and lunch.
  • Tremu
    Tremu Posts: 2
    Options
    We are having a neighborhood family Easter picnic. I am anticipating eating way too many calories tomorrow. So I revved up my workouts today to try to compensate. I ended up having 920 calories left today because I ate sensibly and worked out extra. I'll be able to enjoy some of the goodness tomorrow without feeling too guilty :)
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We stay busy on the weekends, so there's no time for crazy unhealthy foods and snacking. When we're headed out to dinner, I like to eat a protein bar on the way. That way, I'm less hungry, less tempted by the smells and menu, and don't mind ordering something light (appetizer only or cup of good soup) because I've had the protein. Also, I'm a huge advocate of drinking lots of water and I add a lemon wedge to mine. it's a natural direutic (in case your dinner selection is sodium-rich) and the lemon flavor curbs my appetite.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    weekends are for enjoyment!!! unfortunately that statement is usually my downfall... weekends are where i do the damage!!!
  • tineekanicole
    Options
    I suffer with that same issue as well...I despise ordering salads at a restaurant!! I usually go with meat, veggies, and a potato. I also have a cheat day sometimes when I go out to dinner and eat whatever I want. But i usually try to o at least a 30 min workout that day and it leaves a lil wiggle room sometimes.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I tend to be very active on the weekend, usually lots of cycling, running and walking, so I can easily burn over 1000 calories in a day in exercise alone.

Believe it or not, it tends to make me LESS hungry on the day (as long as I am snacking sensibly to maintain my activity) but can be hungrier in the start of the week.

What are you doing on the weekend? Can you incorporate some more exercise in so you don't feel the effects of bingeing?
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am with you. It is hard to resist the call of the snacks when you are home all day. I find that I try to stay in parts of the house that are further from the food, and (now that the weather is getting nicer), I try to take the dogs on a long walk late in the afternoon, which is when I would otherwise be most likely to snack. Good luck!
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When the weather is good I try to go out for walks on the weekend

Also, I try to have lunch and dinner at the same time I would when at work , so I have a schedule (I sleep in on weekends so I am flexible on breakfast). However for you this may not be possible since you have a busy weekend

If you are going to a restaurant and know which one, try to look their menu up online and decide what you will order. You can use various sites to see how many calories are in the meal. Also, ask the waiter/waitress as I am sure people ask them stuff all the time. I google the restaurants I am going to and check out a few message boards..some health conscious person must be going to these places..so I take those suggestions as well.

Many of the menu items have descriptions i.e. hand torn basil in a buttery sauce or something....if you see butter or something fattening, dont order it unless you feel like indulging and having a cheat day
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight it has to be #1 on your list. Make sure you eat breakfast every morning protein is best!
    You can order other things when you go out to eat ( salads aren't so good with the dressing anyway) Grilled meat in a 4oz size with steamed veggies. Grilled chicken in a lettuce wrap no sauce but with tomatoes. Have healthy snacks ....like fruit,light cheese, wasa crackers.

The idea on every Sat a cheap day is no way to lose weight. Maybe once a month and only something as a treat...if you cheat a whole day, your wasting your time. You will eat all the calories cheating that you worked so hard all work to be down.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Grilled fish is a pretty good entree when eating out many times. Many restaurants also have added carb friendly and light menus... some such as the one we ate at tonight do not... Of course since I had just burned 1200 calories at the gym... I did not stress too much over it.
  • Dixietrink82
    Dixietrink82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What are you doing on the weekend? Can you incorporate some more exercise in so you don't feel the effects of bingeing?
    [/quote]

I get up early and go to my part time job cleaning my aunt's house. Usually there between 9 and 2. Head home to meet my husband who is getting home from the firehouse. Usually we end up changing and heading out to meet friends, run errands, or have a family function. Sundays - breakfast together, clean house, he runs to hockey, I stay home and relax.

I don't usually order steak so I'm thinking maybe I will just start ordering that with veggies and a sweet potato. That way I can easily cut the steak in half and I know my husband will have the leftovers next day. It's so hard to completely readjust my thinking when I've been eating one way for 29 years. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's hard to plan a lot because I'm married to a very social and very busy man who is constantly on the go and our plans can change on a moments notice (i.e. I pull chicken out to make dinner Saturday night and find out at 4 that we are meeting friends at 6 for dinner and a few games of pool).

I expected you to say somethng along the lines or work commitments or something, which sucks but can't always be avoided, but your healthy plans are getting derailed because your husband just randomly changes plans? Granted you're the one on the diet not him but he could show more consideration. If he knows you're defosting a chicken for dinner then what's stopping you meeting your friends AFTER dinner? Or the friends coming round to your house for dinner and THEN you all go out?

I appreciate your lives cannot revolve around your diet but it sounds like you are getting little to notice or input in these plans. Your lives can't revolve around him either! Have a word with your husband and try and come to a compromise - he should be being more supportive of your need to make healthier choices!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When your home, just keep good snacks in the house. I have cut down on the cookies and stuff for the kids and buy apples and bananas and honestly they dont miss the sweet stuff too much! If going out, I just enjoy the eating out (while still trying to make the best dcisions) and put in a little extra effort in the workout!