Hello...

Options
I though I'd introduce my self. I'm Garry. Today ins My second Full Day here. My goal is to reach a more healthy weight, and Ideally my "optimum weight" of 165 or so. I know Changing my diet will help and so will exercise. My problem is, (prepare to be shocked) I'm Lazy. Then add in the fact I'm recovering from a car accident. SO my Dr tells me the I have Arthritis beginning to form in the injured area of my lower back. I was Told, Diet. -High protein, Lower carb and exercise. But exercise has to be guided with a Physical therapist.

The diet that part is easy. I've done it in the past. Even the exercise.. that i've done that in the past as well.

Keeping at it.. That is the Hard part. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep at.

One thing on this site I wish I could adjust the division of the calories. Have a choice to adjust the carb and protein proportions. since I need to specifically be on a lower carb intake.

Replies

• StellerBanana
    StellerBanana Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the physio for? My friend was recently in a car accident and goes to a physical therapist, She spends 4 hours a day 5 days a week and she looks GOOD! They put you to work, so the physical therapist is your exercise, all you have to do now is to eat better. Then you are laughing your pounds off.
  • NanoPacket
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Its interesting that you mention the division of calories... I guess I havnt really looked into that too much. So far I am just trying to stay under the calorie limit for the day and "Try" to make good food choices.. (When they bring in Pizza or cupcakes tat work it's really difficult. ) But by tracking what I eat and making an adjustment later in the day to my diet, or putting in some treadmill time to make up for it has worked so far. I agree keeping at it will be the hardest part for me as well. If you need a friend for support, feel free to add me.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your excuse is the same as most people here, but the fact that you can admit to it, and that "being lazy" is holding you back is actually fairly groundbreaking compared to the denial that a lot here are in.

A physical therapist is a GREAT start! I run a gym, I have 2 recently joined members who are both "train wrecks" (as they call themselves) from a car accident and they are working with a very qualified, rehab trained personal trainer now too. They also have a lot of weight to lose, and you can see they will be successful as they have the right mindset already.

This site can change your life, if you let it. If you decide to REALLY get onto what this site has to offer you won't believe the results you can achieve. But at the same time, if you are doing this half-arsed, you may get frustrated. There is a wealth of information and help here if you know WHAT questions to ask and where to look for it, half the fun is finding it :)

Good luck, I succeeded here and many of my friends changed their lives here too, so there is no reason you can't be another success story!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the calorie amount by going to goals, click change goals, click custom. Is this what you are referring to?
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Welcome! and you can divide the calories. i have mine set differently than the default. go to my home, then goals, change goals.

ah, Peggy beat me to it. lol:wink:
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I feel your pain...I myself have back troubles....I tend to use it as an excuse to not exercise....but that was the old me!! Best of luck! Blessings!
  • garrywb
    garrywb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. Also thank you for the help with customizing the daily goals.

My wife and I both just joined the site. As far as the therapy. I was going.. or so i though. I was being treated at a chiropractor's office and was given a routine. The routine was designed to do nothing but minimal improvement and eat up all the insurance money from the At fault driver's liability policy. It was not even truly customized to either me to my wife. Once the money ran out we were shoved out the door, never mind we were far form being well. We were not even give a routine to continue doing on our own. We were scheduled fora follow up with the "Orthopedic Doctor", who was a partner at the place. His response to our concerns and on going pain was. "you don't need surgery. I can't do anything for you, go join a Gym."

My neurologist, who is treating me for the the pain, and other numbness in my arms, and headache, has actually now ordered me to be seen by a true physical therapist. My injuries are mostly soft tissue. I have a herniated disk, and I still have swelling in the lumbar and sacral joints. I also am showing early stages of arthritis in that area. It's partly My fault for trusting the chiropractors office.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Educate yourself. Follow your doctors orders. Find out from him if he thinks exercise would help you and maybe ask if walking or low impact aerobics would help your arthritis. I have arthritis all over including in my spine and hips. I can still go out walking and I think that helps. I walk for 30 minutes when I go out. Not necessarily for "distance" but for time and I try to keep up a decent speed in my step. I'm no where near running (I'm 63) but a nice steady pace sort of like what you would do if you were walking a dog. It helps my arthritis I think but be sure to check with your doctor before you do it. I wish you lots of luck and your wife too. My husband and I are on here. He is trying to lower cholesterol and I'm trying to lower my weight. I have 30 lbs to loose. Doesn't sound like much but 30 lbs is 30 lbs. Feel free to add me as a friend. I think you will love this site. It helps keep you accountable. Once your get your food diary going there is no way to escape the numbers. I plan to be here for a long long time. I'm rooting for you.