Calculating BMR

Options
I went to a website and grabbed a pen and paper and did an extensive combination of formulas to figure out my BMR as 2650 calories a day. Just to test accuracy of other sites, I visited a bunch that just had you put in age, height, weight, and activity level. They also were all within 100 calories of the 2650 I got from the formulas. This site calculates it at 2206. Why such the decrease from the dozen other BMR calculators I tested?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Just found this post; bumping it because I have a similar question. I just started The New Rules of Lifting for Women and it tells you how to calculate your TDEE (which I want to be eating at because I'm switching to maintenance now that I reached my loss goal). Using that formula I calculated my TDEE at around 1950. However here on MFP it says my TDEE is only like 1660. I chose a happy medium for now and am eating 1750 a day... but if I can have those extra cals, I want them! Haha. How do I know which is right?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options

I'm really curious about what other people think about the results they get using this calculator. For a while I was losing about double what I should have been according to MFP. I finally guessed that it might be because I have a lower BF percentage than one would expect for a person of my weight and height. (I have a large body frame even though I'm only 5'2".) Most BF calculators are pretty generic... But if I use one that takes into consideration my wrist measurements and such, then my BF is much lower than it would seem.

However, using that calculator, the weight loss I experienced kinda made sense. Right now I'm basing my calories on what that calculator gives me for my BMR. Or rather, I'm setting my goal to be about 100 less than what that calculator gives me for my BMR, but I'm eating my exercise calories back most of the time. I haven't been doing this very long though, so I'm still in the experimental stages. I'd really love to talk to someone who has used that calculator to successfully adjust their calories for whatever their goal is.

*Accidentally edited the wrong post. LOL
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm reworking my approach after a long plateau, so very interested to hear more on this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    This site, Myfitnesspal, does NOT FIGURE IN YOUR EXERCISE UNTIL YOU DO IT.

Pretty simple. Other sites figure it in. . . .

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Men
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) + 5

Women
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) - 161.

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Thanks this is an awesome site! ive always wondered what my TDEE and BMR were
    I find it really hard to lose weight ....i have very low metabolism
  • VVEXVVEX
    Options
    I get 1407 BMR and 2262 TDEE on http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced.

There's a problem with staying too low for too long. I've been at net 1200 (eating back most exercise calories) for some time on MFP. I have not lost anything since January (after dropping 11 August - January). I'm strength training 3x a week and one-hour walks 2-3 more times.

Now I am reading NROL4W and mapping out a plan to try to boost metabolism for four weeks, then cut back. Still working out the numbers.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I'm really curious about what other people think about the results they get using this calculator. For a while I was losing about double what I should have been according to MFP. I finally guessed that it might be because I have a lower BF percentage than one would expect for a person of my weight and height. (I have a large body frame even though I'm only 5'2".) Most BF calculators are pretty generic... But if I use one that takes into consideration my wrist measurements and such, then my BF is much lower than it would seem.

However, using that calculator, the weight loss I experienced kinda made sense. Right now I'm basing my calories on what that calculator gives me for my BMR. Or rather, I'm setting my goal to be about 100 less than what that calculator gives me for my BMR, but I'm eating my exercise calories back most of the time. I haven't been doing this very long though, so I'm still in the experimental stages. I'd really love to talk to someone who has used that calculator to successfully adjust their calories for whatever their goal is.

Actually you should subtract 20% from your TEE not your BMR. Your BMR is the calories your body needs if you were to lay in bed all day. Somewhere between BMR and TEE is ideal for weight loss. With this calculator you can actually figure out workout versus non-workout days. As long as you stay below TEE, you will lose weight.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options

But that would explain the differences in TDEE, not the BMR. Your BMR is what you would burn without *any* activity at all. That shouldn't vary so widely from site to site. Your estimation of daily activity should have no bearing on that.

MFP gives me 1,797 for my BMR. That other calculator gives me 2,126 for my BMR. That's a pretty big difference. I want to lose weight, but I really don't want to lose too much muscle in the process, nor do I want to slow my metabolism down any more than I have to. So I'd really like to know what people find to be the most accurate for calculating BMR.
  • ingfit
    Options

Thanks this is an awesome site! ive always wondered what my TDEE and BMR were
    I find it really hard to lose weight ....i have very low metabolism

Try reading this also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing

It explains a lot about what happens when we reduce our calories too much.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I've seen a lot where MFP sets everything low - like, some people's calories have been set so low they have to increase them to lose any weight. The "why" I don't know, but the fact that it happens I do know for sure.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

But that would explain the differences in TDEE, not the BMR. Your BMR is what you would burn without *any* activity at all. That shouldn't vary so widely from site to site. Your estimation of daily activity should have no bearing on that.

MFP gives me 1,797 for my BMR. That other calculator gives me 2,126 for my BMR. That's a pretty big difference. I want to lose weight, but I really don't want to lose too much muscle in the process, nor do I want to slow my metabolism down any more than I have to. So I'd really like to know what people find to be the most accurate for calculating BMR.

Exactly. And I wasn't calculating in exercise with The New Rules formula, either. I multiplied the BMR I got from that by 1.2 - should give me my TDEE with NO exercise. And there was still a huge difference between that number and the MFP number. That's why I'm confused.
  • ingfit
    Options
    I get 1407 BMR and 2262 TDEE on http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced.

There's a problem with staying too low for too long. I've been at net 1200 (eating back most exercise calories) for some time on MFP. I have not lost anything since January (after dropping 11 August - January). I'm strength training 3x a week and one-hour walks 2-3 more times.

Now I am reading NROL4W and mapping out a plan to try to boost metabolism for four weeks, then cut back. Still working out the numbers.

Try reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing

If you are strength training you need to eat enough to feed the muscle or you are just spinning your wheels. Find the sweet spot between your BMR and TEE to lose fat without sacrificing the muscle maintenance, and get plenty of protein, some healthy fats and healthy starchy carbs like oats and sweet potatoes, and plenty of fruits and veggies.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options

Actually you should subtract 20% from your TEE not your BMR. Your BMR is the calories your body needs if you were to lay in bed all day. Somewhere between BMR and TEE is ideal for weight loss. With this calculator you can actually figure out workout versus non-workout days. As long as you stay below TEE, you will lose weight.

I know... Ideally I wouldn't want to drop below my BMR at all. But I'd been on MFP for about 2½ months by the time I found that calculator, so I'd already been eating below my BMR without realizing it. Once I found that calculator, I increased to 2000. I also eat my exercise calories back most of the time. So I'm eating anywhere between 2000 and 2300 calories most days. The calculator you linked gives me a little over 2100 for my BMR, and like 3000 for my TEE. When I first saw it, it just seemed so high compared to what MFP suggests, I was afraid that it was wrong. But like I said, it would make more sense for it to be right. I've had my MFP goals set for me to lose 1 pound a week, but in spite of that I've averaged a 2-pound per week loss over the past 3 months. The only way I can see that happening (especially since I usually eat at my max calorie allotment, and sometimes over...) is if my BMR and TEE were actually higher than what MFP estimated... And those figures would fall right in line with the numbers that the Health-calc TEE calculator provides.
  • ingfit
    Options

Have you tried this calculator:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

MFP gives me 1437 BMR
    Health-calc gives me 1498 BMR
  • luvmybaby333
    Options

Have you tried this calculator:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

MFP gives me 1437 BMR
    Health-calc gives me 1498 BMR

LOL. Yes that's the one I'm talking about in all my posts. The numbers are so different from MFP, but they make more sense. I changed my settings a week or so ago because of that calculator... I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else uses it with success. I'm guessing you do?

I wonder if the difference is more dramatic the heavier you are? In which case, it makes me wonder how accurate it is for heavier people. The description says that it accounts for very obese people in such a way that other calculation methods don't... But I'm still dubious. There is like 329 calories between the the BMR estimate from MFP and the BMR estimate from that calculator. I'd *like* to go with the higher amount, and I'm experimenting with that for now... But I do worry that I'm wasting my time.

ETA: Never mind... I just estimated using my goal weight (150) and there was still a pretty dramatic difference of about 130 calories. I wonder if the discrepancy has to do with height. I'm only 5'2"... Maybe one of the calculators isn't as accurate for short people?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot where MFP sets everything low - like, some people's calories have been set so low they have to increase them to lose any weight. The "why" I don't know, but the fact that it happens I do know for sure.
    MyFitnessPal subtracts 500 calories per day at a 1 pound per week goal, rather than a percentage, which would be better, really. On top of that, they choose sedentary when they're not, and maybe they also don't east back exercise calories. It's not an ideal system, At least not for everyone.

I use a spreadsheet I made with about 6 different bmr formulas and I average them out, so I get a lot of options. I net at least my bmr, east back my exercise calories, and on rest days I eat my maintenance for my goal weight as per fat2 fit radio.
  • VVEXVVEX
    Options
    Thank you ingfit! Checking that out now.
  • ingfit
    Options

I know... Ideally I wouldn't want to drop below my BMR at all. But I'd been on MFP for about 2½ months by the time I found that calculator, so I'd already been eating below my BMR without realizing it. Once I found that calculator, I increased to 2000. I also eat my exercise calories back most of the time. So I'm eating anywhere between 2000 and 2300 calories most days. The calculator you linked gives me a little over 2100 for my BMR, and like 3000 for my TEE. When I first saw it, it just seemed so high compared to what MFP suggests, I was afraid that it was wrong. But like I said, it would make more sense for it to be right. I've had my MFP goals set for me to lose 1 pound a week, but in spite of that I've averaged a 2-pound per week loss over the past 3 months. The only way I can see that happening (especially since I usually eat at my max calorie allotment, and sometimes over...) is if my BMR and TEE were actually higher than what MFP estimated... And those figures would fall right in line with the numbers that the Health-calc TEE calculator provides.

At first I thought it was high your BMR but after looking at your ticker I noticed your current weight is over 200 which would explain the high number. Our bodies burn higher calories the more we weigh, so your weight loss of 2 lbs is ok until you get within 20lbs of goal then you will find that your BMR drops. At that point you should adjust your intake to lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week.

I personally don't use the MFP calculators and enter my goal manually. I eat 1800 cals a day and do not eat back exercise cals. I aim for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    At first I thought it was high your BMR but after looking at your ticker I noticed your current weight is over 200 which would explain the high number. Our bodies burn higher calories the more we weigh, so your weight loss of 2 lbs is ok until you get within 20lbs of goal then you will find that your BMR drops. At that point you should adjust your intake to lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week.

I personally don't use the MFP calculators and enter my goal manually. I eat 1800 cals a day and do not eat back exercise cals. I aim for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

That makes sense. I had planned on adjusting my weight-loss per week to about .5 pounds once I got a little closer to my goal... But my confusion was that while eating for the estimated 1 pound per week loss that MFP had set up for me, I was actually losing double that. That is what first made me think that my BMR was a bit higher than this site estimates. I hate not knowing for sure, though. :-P

Anyway, it's nice to see someone else who is manually entering their calorie goals and not using the MFP settings. I feel like such a rebel sometimes. LOL. :-)