Is it bad for my 4 year old to exercise?

Options
My daughter see's me exercising all the time and likes to join in. When she asks me if she's doing things correctly i usually help her. I'm just curious if her enjoyment of exercise is healthy. Sometimes she asks me to get one of my workout dvd's so she can exercise in her room. She is always laughing and enjoying herself when I watch her. We are a very active family, who goes hiking, biking(weather permiting) and playing sports. So its not like she doesnt get activity. Her private school also does yoga in the mornings with the kids to help them start their day. Im just hoping that her enjoyment of exercise is okay for her age. I can see that she is trying to do what mommy does. I dont know just wondering if anyone has experience with this?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It sounds okay the way you're describing it. It sounds like she just geniuinely enjoys it. If she's laughing and having fun, that's great! Whatever keeps them entertained, right? :happy:

That being said, I'd be concerned if she seemed to have other motivation for wanting to exercise so much. Just pay attention and if she ever mentions fear of getting fat, etc. I would have a talk with her about body image and maybe monitor the amount of exercising. I know it sounds crazy that a 4 year old would be concerned about that, but my little sister is VERY insecure and started asking us questions like "Am I fat? I'm fat aren't I?" at a very young age and it was quite alarming.
  • medlicott68
    Options
    My daughter came to the gym with me when she was younger and would get the boxing gloves on and train with me. Occasionally she would be my "trainer". Now she's 11 and still enjoys excercise. She does karate, and is joining an instructors programme to help with the club's white belts. I don't think excercising with me has hurt her at all, in fact I think it is far better that she is keeping fit rather than sitting in front of the TV for hours, like some of her friends do.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    that sounds like its absolutely a good thing! teach her good habits when she's young and she'll hold onto them forever.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    I Think its gr8, my kids used to join in when they were little, one of my girls, (lilymilly2 in my friend list) she used to run and get changed into clothing to exercise even before i was ready to start she even knew the names of the ladies on the DVD and she would be calling out " come on Deborah " i'm talking when she was only about 3 years old so cute ,
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Of course it is okay!! Coming from an Early Learning Childhood educator, the more you can do with your child in those early years in regards to healthy living and being active,. the better. Including her in your routine will help build her gross motor skills and instil a healthy habit in her for the rest of her life! In my classroom I serve ages 0-6 and we do yoga, zumba and all sorts of things to keep our bodies healthy. I say go for it and enjoy the time together!!!
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sounds a good thing to me....if she is happy how could it be bad. Being active is so important and if she is keen to join you then it's seems healthy to me. Obviously it would be different if she was 'training'. Life is meant to be fun for kids....sounds like this is what she is having :happy:
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    What's the difference between that and riding a bike or running at the park or even doing one of the dance wii games? She's happy and she's moving. Sounds perfect.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Our daughter is 6 and she joins in all the time. We think it's great. The more active kids are the better!
  • christineandgeno
    Options
    Ty all for your replies. We never mention weight in my house, like its a bad thing. The only time we ever mentioned weight was when she wasnt heavy enough to use a booster seat. She was very excited when she grew both talland heavy enough to ride in one for her daddys truck.

Im glad so many of you have experience with this. I guess its just different for me, because my mom went to a gym to work out so I never saw her do it. Thanks Again.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Oh, go for it. This is great that she is joining in. She is learning by the good habits she is seeing from you and hopefully she will continue with these good habits the rest of her life.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym. When I started, my youngest wasn't even walking yet and she turned 8 last Thursday. They both think exercise is just part of life. A fun part, but as routine as brushing your teeth. The Boy has done a couple of 5k's with me and now they both ask when the next one will be. It's all in the approach. Sounds to me like it's a fun activity for the two of you to do together.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for kids, as long as you're not having her lift weights. Lifting weights too early can stunt growth and do more harm than good.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Keep her away from the dumbbells and it's all good. Bouncing around and twisting is what kids are designed to do :D
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym. When I started, my youngest wasn't even walking yet and she turned 8 last Thursday. They both think exercise is just part of life. A fun part, but as routine as brushing your teeth. The Boy has done a couple of 5k's with me and now they both ask when the next one will be. It's all in the approach. Sounds to me like it's a fun activity for the two of you to do together.

I like your part of the kid thinking exercise is a way of life, unlike waiting until they are much older and they see it is as a choir that is done to lose weight
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It is the same with my boys who are 4 and 6. They both helped me scrub bathrooms yesterday. I outfitted them with plastic gloves and they had a blast. Nothing wrong with that.
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    My 6 yr old see's me on the treadmill so she often likes to walk on it when im done as well and she always seems to be having fun so i leave her alone...i dnt think its any harm for her to be active!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to copy my mum doing exercise dvds when I was little. There was nothing wrong with that as I had fun and would get up early and do them on my own.

However, perhaps it was that I constantly saw her dieting and worrying about weight that made me have a very serious ongoing issue with my weight and how i look and my binge eating.

Just be careful and keep it positive. Children absorb more than we think.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was doing a Denise Austin dvd the other day. My 6yr old was bouncing and flailing along behind me. Over the music I hear "Gee Mom, I hope I see results in 30 days too!". It was too funny. The video I have has Denise Austin talking all about 30 day results at the beginning. But she also like doing yoda with me. It is just too cute and I don't have the heart to tell her it's really yoga.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    As long as she is having fun doing it. You are setting her up for a healthy future. Who's knows she could be the next Jillian Michaels.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think it is fantastic that your 4 year-old wants to exercise. I would only worry if she is looking to see if she is "fat" or worried about cellulite or something like that. Kids mimic us. I think we need to make sure we are positive exercise role models, not self-loathing ones.