walking

Options
how many of you here walk to aid weight loss? and how many miles do you do a day/week ?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 5 days a week, 3 or 4 miles a day :smile: I have no idea how much it helps my weight loss but it does make me feel better!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i do 7 days a week, 2-3miles mon - fri, 5 miles sat, 3-5miles sun
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Walk 2 miles on a track about 3x a week. Sometimes I run some of it.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I walk every day for at least an hour :smile: In the year and a half after I lost 50lbs it sure helped to maintain my weight even though I slipped into old food habits! I still do it now that I'm eating healthy and working out, it is great for stress which is very bad for weight loss for many reasons! Great way to reflect on things, relax, and get rid of cravings :smile:
  • kuwick66
    kuwick66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I walk 7 days a week, four miles a day. I do break it up. I walk two miles first thing in the morning and two miles in the evening. I also do strength training for 45 minutes at least three times a week.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 5 days a week and i'd walk 5 miles!
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I walk, every day for at least 30 minutes, pretty fast - don't know how far, I just do the minimum of 30 minutes and if it's more, great. It shifted me off my month long plateau and have lost 7lb in 2 weeks, so for me it worked.
  • Kait1215
    Kait1215 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i hit the treadmill for at least a half hour 6 times a week usually do 2 1/2- 3 miles, every calorie burned helps :)
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Me!! I find that right now (I'm quite early in my weight loss journey, got about 30 lbs to lose) walking is the best thing right now. It's easy, and contrary to popular belief it can burn a lot of calories. Easier on the knees if that's an issue for you too. To me I find a long walk more beneficial than a short run that burns the same amount of calories.

I encourage all of you to invest in a pedometer :) I got mine from walmart and they cost $5-$20+ depending on the features. Mine counts calories and tracks speed :) Love it!
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Haha I didn't even answer the question! I aim to walk 5 miles a day (at least 10,000 steps)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started with 2.4 miles which took me 63 minutes. I can now to it in 50 minutes and lately have done the route twice so 4.8 miles a day. I usually try to do it 5 times a week and sometimes do the route once on Saturdays with Sundays off.
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been walking for 5 years and I saw it aided weight loss when I got serious about portion sizes and types of food eaten. In the 6 months that I have done walking and eating correctly,I have lost 42 lbs. I walk about 1 hr. a day. When I walked 2 hrs. a day years ago and didn't watch my eating,I lost nothing. You have to do both I think. I am plateauing now so I have added weights and aerobics. We shall see how that goes.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I walk 2-4 miles 3 days a week and it does help with weight loss especially if you use a heart rate monitor to help guide how much effort you are putting into it
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    how many of you here walk to aid weight loss? and how many miles do you do a day/week ?

I walk a LOT. It's my favourite form of exercise. Although I "run" (doing that Couch-to-5k thing) three times a week, I'd say the bulk of my exercise is walking. I go for brisk walks, hikes, and hill climbs nearly every day.

Today I hiked 21 miles. That is not usual for me. In fact, it's the longest walk I've ever done. But, it's not at all unusual for me to walk briskly for an hour - so about four miles - and I'll do that several times a week.
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    Options
    Well I normally jog every day indoors but I notice that I look at the clock a lot. So now, I plan to walk at least two miles a day and maybe increase it to 5 miles in about a month. I hope this helps me at least get five lbs offs
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I used to be a major walker and would walk for 2 solid hours a day, at a brisk pace. It definitely kept my weight down, although I also went on the exercise bike, so I was perhaps a bit too obsessive with it, lol.
  • morgansmama
    morgansmama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to run an hour on the treadmill everyday of the week...didn't see any weight loss...decided to walk for 5-10 miles a day and lost 4 lbs in one week. I switch it up though and run some days and then rest one week during the month...I try to get a minimum of 40 miles overall for the week. I track it all on dailymile.com. It's definitely helped me lose weight!! My thighs are getting smaller as well, seeing as it was my "problem area". :)
  • youcanhumpmyleg
    Options
    thanks for the replies :D ive been brisk dog walking recently in the mornings doing 3 1/2 miles in 55 minutes :D im gonna aim for 4 next week, i need to find the time with working aswell though :( ! ive been tracking it on endomondo any one else use this on there phone ?