New guy.

Options
Hey I'm Marty, currently in the tri-cities, eastern Washington. I saw a link to this site on a friend of a friend of a friends facebook page. I really like it so far, and i've been logging in for six days now. I haven't been good about meeting my calorie goals, but I am still keeping it under my maintenance level. SO, losing weight, just not as fast as I want or need to. My primary motivators are my son and the military. I want to lead a healthy lifestyle and be a good influence for him, and I need to control my weight or risk getting kicked out of the military. With the budget crisis, the standards are getting strict and they only want to keep the best. I have about 60 pounds to lose before I am considered fit by their standards, and I have about six months to lose it.

I welcome any and all to add me if they genuinely want support and want to give support. Weight loss and fitness in general mean a lot to me, and I am more than willing to support and be supported. Especially people in similar situations as myself.

Thanks everyone, and good luck with your goals.
P.S., what does everyone think about 'splurge days'? Most diets I have read about suggest having one, but my splurge day this week was BAD. Like half a costco pizza and a bottle of champagne. It was so counter productive for my weekly goals that I am questioning the need to justify it in the first place.

Replies

• NanoPacket
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to friend me if you want some support. I am trying to lose about 50 pounds. So far I have been pretty good about staying under the limit. I tend to save calories throughout the day to have them at night. My trick to keep in the limit is I grabbed one of those big bags of carrots and leave them in the fridge at work. Snack on them frequently. They are not alot of calories and they fill me up. I dont really enjoy the treadmill as I get bored, so I have been listening to audio books. It makes the time go by much faster. Good luck!
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hey "new guy" i am still pretty new myself. i stuck with MFP for awhile and then lost interest. i am trying again and this time looking for friends to help out. i am active duty myself and looking to lose the weight i have put on since my kids were born.

i am wondering about splurge days, too. i don't seem to think they work. i had on a few days ago and added weight the morning after. i find weighing every day helps! i can see the immediate results of my stupid eating...
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of you! Feel free to add me if you'd like! Best of luck on your journey!
  • runner3292
    Options
    Hi Marty, Although I'm quite a bit older than you and not in your situation, the situation is technically the same.....loose weight! I started with Weight Watchers Jan. lst this year @ 173.5, but I'm only 5'-1. (It was ugly!) I'm now @ 150. 3 months later, looking for 125. I switched to this site because of the vast food catergory look up. I've only been here a few days, but I can see why and how it will work. As far as the 1/2 a Costco Pizza, dont do it! Splurging got you here in the first place. Why work at it for a week, just to screw it up in an hour? We're all on a mission for right now, hang tuff and smile every time you get on the scale. Hit your goal, then go to Costco. :)
  • Amer1can
    Amer1can Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome folks, I felt the same way about splurging. But in some sick way I was justifying it because a diet said to do it. No more for this guy.