Protein shakes?

Options
How do protein shakes work does it help to loose weight too? I always been curious about them and which kind to get?? :)

Replies

• HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I love mine...I also put the protein powder in my oatmeal....And I make iced coffee with it......love love love :flowerforyou:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you are talking protein powder, its an easy way to add protein (which makes you feel full longer)
    to your diet. The better protein powders have few carbs and no fat.

If you are talking about premade ones like slim fast or special k, i know naught.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    If you are talking protein powder, its an easy way to add protein (which makes you feel full longer)
    to your diet. The better protein powders have few carbs and no fat.

If you are talking about premade ones like slim fast or special k, i know naught.

Yes none of that!!! I hate slim fast!!!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    It does not help you lose weight per se. It is just another source of protein.
    1 scoop is generally 120-140 calories with anywhere between 25-35g protein.
    Replacing a meal with a protein shake is a meal replacement strategy and you can
    potentially lower your calories whilst having protein shakes in your diet.
    For example, if you were to have a 500 calorie dinner, but you had a 120 calorie protein shake instead
    you just got rid of 380 calories right there.

But do NOT make the mistake of thinking protein shakes are weight loss supplements. Because they are not,
    they are just an easy, quick way to get protein in your diet, and that is all they do. If you are looking for
    a protein that can 'aid' in weight loss, go to a supplement website from your country, i'm assuming
    you're from the states, so that would be www.bodybuilding.com, and check out the fat loss proteins,
    they have ingredients such as L-carnitine, green tea extract, caffeine etc that can aid in weight loss.
    But these fat loss proteins at most would boost your weight loss progress by a mere 2-5%

- Akira
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks yea I think I'll try that is there a certain brand that's good? And no I don't like those slim fast / special k shakes there gross
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Good Brands include
    Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion Probiotic series
    Dymatize ISO
    Dymatize Elite Whey

STAY AWAY FROM OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD
    it is a cheap horrid protein blend, it's macro's and BCAA profiles is
    obsolete compared to others
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! It is a tool you can use to get certain nutrients and calories, but no...it is not a miracle cure.

I was stuck for quite some time in my weight loss and decided to try some. I tried a few, but found I got the best results with Isagenix.
  • tara4487
    Options
    Thx akira
  • tara4487
    Options
    What did u add that with Val tishia ? Where can you get it
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love body by vi shakes. Been drinking them for two years and have never felt better!
  • tara4487
    Options
    What is body by vi
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't see protein shakes as a way to loose weight but rather a supplement to a diet that may be lacking in lean protein. Lean protein can be rather expensive when compared to the price of the same calories found in carbs or fat.

I like to use Pure Protein. Its not th ebest on the market, but its not the cheapest. I like it because its Low car.
    LOTS of protein shakes on the market are filled with sugar and artificial flavorings that I feel are counter productive to supplementing with protein.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Body By Vi is awesome!!!!! lol I eat between 1300-1450 calories a day!! So don't knock me!
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I disagree here. Optimum whey is one of the best on their field.
    I'd suggest 2 brands instead:
    1 - Optimum Nutrition
    2 - Muscle Pharm
    Both great protein sources and taste too.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do soy protein, don't overdo it(not that you should overdo it with whey, either.) . It could raise your breast cancer risk by mimicking estrogen and it's been linked to having negative effects on thyroid function.

I'm by NO means an expert, but I've been told repeatedly to stay away from mostly soy protein.
    Also, if the ingredients on the back is a loooong list of words you cannot pronounce, you probably shouldn't be putting it into your body.
    Again, I may have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use my protein shakes simply to keep the amount of protein I'm getting up. If I don't get enough protein, I loose hair. Had gastric bypass 18 years ago and lost a lot of hair due to the lack of protein. Once I added it back into my diet, my hair loss reversed itself. This is my experience with protein shakes. And when I do drink the shakes, I limit the other calories I get for that meal. Sometimes I eat a salad with it.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good Brands include
    Dymatize ISO
    Dymatize Elite Whey

Sorry, man, but Dymatize is probably worse than ON. They're notorious for not listing how they process their whey (such as ISO-100) and, as a result, probably ion-exchange all their whey (Elite's first ingredient is ion-exchanged isolates but they do have CFM concentrates), which is why they're one of the most affordable proteins on the net. There are way better isolates such as Isoflex by ALLMAX and SRO by VPX. ISO-100 isn't worth it.

Here's the thread about ISO-100's processing: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126428503&page=1

Also, really, awful macros? 1.5g fat, 3g carbs, and 24g protein? Myofusion has worse macros @ 2g fat, 9g carbs, and 24g protein. Regular (non-probiotic) Myofusion has 3g fat, 5g carbs, and 25g protein, which is the whey I'd recommend since I'm in love with it and they have great quality. Combat Powder by MusclePharm is another good concentrate.
    I disagree here. Optimum whey is one of the best on their field.
    I'd suggest 2 brands instead:
    1 - Optimum Nutrition
    2 - Muscle Pharm
    Both great protein sources and taste too.

ON ion-exchanges their isolates, which is why they're inferior to Combat Powder, which is microfiltered 100%. Combat Powder would be the superior choice.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks yea I think I'll try that is there a certain brand that's good? And no I don't like those slim fast / special k shakes there gross

I'm a huge fan of the Dymatize ISO protein powder. The gourmet vanilla is fantastic and mixes very well.
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good Brands include
    Dymatize ISO
    Dymatize Elite Whey

roll over to magnify

What about "Garden of Life, RAW Protein, Beyond Organic Protein Formula". I am thinking about buying some. I was also wondering how it tastes.
    Thanks
  • lilCrummie
    lilCrummie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    how do you make iced coffee with the protien shake x