Is this REALLY possible??

Options
I started MFP 17 days ago and have come in under my calories each day and reached my exercise goals. I knew my starting weight (measured on one scale) and weighed myself on a different, but brand new scale this morning. According to it, I'm down over 15 lbs. I simply do not think that is possible, and am assuming that the two scales have dramatically different calibrations.

Is it actually feasible that this type of weight loss could happen at the beginning??

Replies

• rmrosen83
    rmrosen83 Posts: 12
    Options
    It's definitely possible. Much of the weight you lose in the beginning is from water loss (excess bloat) so the numbers the first week or 2 can be very big. This also can vary depending on how overweight you are. When I started myfitnesspal I lost 10lbs the first week and 6 the second so it's possible you have lost 15lbs.

Keep up the good work!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your success. It will slow down so don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    log the 15lb, as it is possible (water weight etc) and from now on stick to only using the same scales. Weigh yourself at the same time every week, after you've gone to the toilet but before you eat or drink anything.

Even if the scale is wrong it will still show the weight you're losing if you use the same one every time (:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    weight loss is always faster in the very beginning because you've made changes.

keep making changes and you can keep losing weight.

most people watch it taper off and then give up after 2 months when their original plan slows down and they stop making progress and start making whiney noises.

This is what not to do.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    is that much weight loss possible? Yes, is it all body fat? Highly doubtful. Most likely it's a combination of body fat and water weight from the sodium changes in your food plan. But that's ok, take it as a win, but expect the results to become smaller as time goes on. You most likely won't continue to lose like this as you progress.

I posted about this a long time ago, you might benefit in reading it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

FYI, even though the poster is banks1850, that's me, I changed user names about 4 years ago.
  • stephflo33
    stephflo33 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have always heard it comes off very fast at first. I, however had the exact opposite happen to me. I started MFP in January and joined a gym the same day. I went from 0 exercise to working out for at least an hour 6 days a week. I came in under my count every day, and it took over 2 1/2 weeks for me to even lose a pound. I am down 17 now overall, and am happy with my progress, though I must admit I was quite discouraged at first.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but personally, to be on the safe side, I would compare the reading on the new scale, to the reading on another set of scales, either at the doctors or in a pharmacy, to be sure. But that is me. I like to be as close to accuracy as I can, given scales are rarely 100% anyway. At least then, you will know for sure.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its the best part about being a guy. you lose quickly with just a few adjustments, especially in the beginning. i lost about 20 pounds in two months in the beginning, but i also had zero muscle definition. so just keep doing what you are doing, but incorporate strength training and weight lifting sooner, rather then later.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The more you have to loose, the more can come off like that. It will slow down but for now enjoy..YOU DID GREAT!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 17 days ago and have come in under my calories each day and reached my exercise goals. I knew my starting weight (measured on one scale) and weighed myself on a different, but brand new scale this morning. According to it, I'm down over 15 lbs. I simply do not think that is possible, and am assuming that the two scales have dramatically different calibrations.

Is it actually feasible that this type of weight loss could happen at the beginning??
    Please be sure that you are eating all your calories...
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if this weight loss is possible, than it means you are starving yourself. Loosing almost 1lbs per day is just insane and extremely unhealthy (unless you are over 300lbs). 1lbs of fat is equal to 3500 calories. You need a deficit of 3500 calories a day to loose 1lbs per day, like you have. Which, if that loss is true, you are hitting cardio or whatever really hard, and eating way less. Bad combination! If you are doing that, I'd suggest you change immediately and eat more. Make a goal to loose 2 - 4 lbs max in a week, which is inside the limits of a healthy diet.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if this weight loss is possible, than it means you are starving yourself. Loosing almost 1lbs per day is just insane and extremely unhealthy (unless you are over 300lbs). 1lbs of fat is equal to 3500 calories. You need a deficit of 3500 calories a day to loose 1lbs per day, like you have. Which, if that loss is true, you are hitting cardio or whatever really hard, and eating way less. Bad combination! If you are doing that, I'd suggest you change immediately and eat more. Make a goal to loose 2 - 4 lbs max in a week, which is inside the limits of a healthy diet.

But I am WELL under 300 (to start), AND I have been eating back most of my exercise calories, have NOT been exercising excessively and definitely not starving myself. MFP set me at 1760 which was in response to me asking to lose 2 lbs per week! I have been pretty close to 1760 every day.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Please be sure that you are eating all your calories...

I am - or at least VERY close to 1760 every day.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    congrats

!!!
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

But I am WELL under 300 (to start), AND I have been eating back most of my exercise calories, have NOT been exercising excessively and definitely not starving myself. MFP set me at 1760 which was in response to me asking to lose 2 lbs per week! I have been pretty close to 1760 every day.

Well, 1760 still looks too little to me since you are male and over 200lbs.
    Let me give you an example.
    I am 25y/old, and currently weighting 195lbs. Right now I'm on a cutting phase which means that I want to lose fat.
    My BMI is around 2050 and In order to lose 2lbs per week I do exercises like you, and eat calories from the range of 2600 - 2800. My daily calorie intake, based on my levels of activity is around 3200 - 3500, so by eating 2600 - 2800 I create more than 500 cal deficit a day, which results in 2lbs loss of fat per week.
    With you, I'd suggest to search online how to undergo a healthy weight loss and to find what is your calorie limit. 1760 looks too low to me for your weight. Remember, when you create a big calorie deficit, it is highly likely that you are loosing muscle tissue along the way.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Is it possible to weigh yourself on the starting scale for comparison? I would double-check for scale issues.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First week, very possible.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you have lost that much, your clothes should fit pretty differently. Do they?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You're getting good input. Mr. Titan isn't taking into account that there is more to weight than fat and muscle. Namely fluid, which probably accounts for most of the large amount of weight lost.

I'm inclined to think your cals might be a little low but I haven't run numbers. It is too early to adjust anyway. If you keep losing too much (there is such a thing, at this rate if it kept up, titan would be right and you'd be losing lean mass and end up looking emaciated rather than fit at your goal numner) or if it stalls for weeks at a time with no change in measurements then reevaluate.

Big scale loss is fun to see but it doesn't mean much. Best to lose slowly and retailn as much lean muscle mass as possible.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Initial loss will be water weight, and it will slow down, but it's a motivating start for you. Well done.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/