10 Pound Weight Loss Goal for April?!

Options
This morning, I happened to stumble upon a very popular thread going around MFP right now. These people are vowing to lose TEN pounds in the month of April. That's 2.25 pounds a week! Sounds like a pretty ridiculous goal to me, yet so many people keep replying "I'm in!"! I don't get it.

Most of these people hoping to lose ten pounds in one month aren't even close to being obese enough to healthfully do that. Many of them look great. You would think that these people would be educated enough, at that point, to be able to understand what harm they can do to their bodies by losing ten pounds in a month. First off, IF they even succeed with losing ten pounds in one month, being that they're generally healthy already. all they are going to do is lose muscle mass more than anything. For people who aren't severely overweight, it's really a disgusting thing to do to your body! It seems like no one on here understands starvation mode! Most of these people won't even reach their goal because their bodies will be like "I'm hungry! I'm holding onto this weight as long as I can, until I get what I need!"

Unlike everyone who's goal is to lose ten pounds this month, my goal is to lose five. I've lost almost fifty pounds, and it's taken me almost a year to do so. Trust me. I know about trying to reach extreme goals. Not only does it hurt me physically, but it also hurts me mentally. Why set goals you won't reach?

Is there ANYONE who is on the same page as me here?!

Replies

• mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'd be happy to lose 1 lb in April! But, early on, I was one of the many who was in a hurry to lose the weight and didn't consider how cutting my calories so drastically would impact my metabolism, energy, and endurance. Food was the enemy. Now I consider it a very important and valuable fuel to support my athleticism (and, let's be honest, my extreme competitiveness :laugh: ). I have seen the light! Everyone has to figure this out for themselves.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I said Im in. lol Im not changing anything to do it though Im going to stick with what Ive been doing just adding a little more exercise, was going to up it anyways so If I lose 2-3-10 pounds whatever . Its just a goal Im not going to get upset if I dont reach it and Im not going to eat less than I already do. Ill be happy with whatever.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    A lot of them are just looking for a group for support and such, not necessarily actually thinking they'll lose 10 lbs. But I do agree that that's a really aggressive goal so not something I would sign up for. There are other support groups with more realistic goals I could join.
  • amandacole13
    Options
    And that's the attitude to have about it. I just wanted to make people aware of the consequences of taking that goal seriously. That would be a 1200cal/day deficit.
  • amandacole13
    Options
    BTW anyone who wants to add me for support, go for it! I'd love new friends!
  • kat_renee
    kat_renee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I joined it. Do I (or these people) as you put it.....really think I can lose 10? No, I don't, but I do like the idea of the challenge. To each his own. You don't know "these people" and don't know why they chose to join so you really shouldn't be so negative when we should really be supporting each other.
  • amandacole13
    Options
    Like I pretty much said already, its not about being negative. It's about being real and setting real, healthy goals that you can actually accomplish. If I were so negative, I don't think that I would be so willing to support anyone who wants support. Norm would I be so concerned about other people's health and well-being.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think for some people, having a goal that's a bit of a reach helps them push themselves a bit more. I know for me, if I set a goal that's easy to reach, I'll tend to slack off because I figure I can just coast to the goal. I doubt the people in the group will be disappointed or upset with themselves if they lose 5 pounds instead of 10. But maybe without the group they would have lost 2...
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought! Why would you make a goal that is destined to fail?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I agree with you and echo everything you said. It's possible if you're significantly overweight, but other than that it's a longshot if you do it the healthy way. I think the group was created so people could find support. But maybe there should be groups with more realistic goals and less aggressive ones...because this is a gradual lifestyle change and it should be treated that way.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I probably could lose 10lbs in April (it's tax season - I won't have time to eat! :laugh: ) but seriously, if I drop 4 or 5 I'll be ecstatic.

It's not a race.........
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hey, I said I was in. My reasoning is this:

I am OBESE.
    I have a sedentary desk job and want to find any bit of motivation (however crazy) to be as active as I can.

Before I started MFP, I was eating meals consisting of pizza, mac and cheese, and basically butter covered anything in excess with barely any physical exersion. (When I say barely, I mean at home desk job and HOURS in front of the TV every day save on weekends.) In changing my diet and working out sporadically I lost ten pounds in a month. It is possible. Some would say my loss was unhealthy, but I offer the following results: When I started, I could not walk up a flight of stairs without feeling exhausted. I never woke up in the morning feeling rested. Now, I can quickly walk up the stairs to my apartment and feel fine after doing so. I wake up in the morning and it takes me only a few minutes to snap out of it. I have a hard time feeling like that is any less than a victory.
    If I fail to reach the goal this month, then I fail at losing ten pounds, but will be very pleased with what I do lose in the process of trying. I find if I set a crazy goal, even if it is unlikely that I will make it there, it keeps me working at capacity rather than at leisure-leisure for me is shaky ground. I tend to slack if I do not push myself.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I believed my goal for a 7lb. loss in April to be a tad bit too ambitious but seeing this I now feel much better about it. Fortunately for me as long as the scale keeps moving in the right direction I will be content.
  • cbouchard50
    Options
    Of course the heavier the body is the larger Amy of pounds per week/ month
    Can be lost as more calories are needed to maintain the present weight
    So for some a 10 lb loss in 1month would be very easy while still being healthful
    It is all relative to present body weight
    The smaller you are the slower the loss and that is fine
    Because we have the rest of our lives to do it
    And it will not take that long lol
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You would think that these people would be educated enough, at that point, to be able to understand what harm they can do to their bodies by losing ten pounds in a month.

Is there ANYONE who is on the same page as me here?!

I think you're taking this way too seriously. The heavier you are, the more likely you'll be able to pull off a goal like that. I think there are a lot of users on here aren't "generally healthy", so obtaining a goal like that might not be as difficult for some as it is for others.

Also, as others have said, the action of saying, "I'm in!" isn't necessarily a declaration of them going to lose 10 lbs no matter the consequences. It's more of a statement saying, "I'll do my best this month".

Many do understand that 10 lbs for a certain weight is too much, but still engage in these challenges because it's motivating to see so many people try to reach a goal. Kind of like the statement, "Go big or go home." You make a hard goal so that you work harder than you would normally. For some people, telling themselves their goal is 3 lbs. for one month wouldn't work. It seems a lot easier to attain, so less effort is likely to be put in.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am one of those you speak of who joined one of the challenge groups for April that you speak of. I'm only speaking for myself. I am "in" for the support & the accountability of doing the hard work toward a goal. Where I am at weight wise and where i need to be my Dr says 2 pounds a week for me is reasonable,Losing slowly I am losing in a healthy way. I am starting a zero weight loss for April however since starting MFP loss over 50 lbs with no regrets or problems. I am making a lifestyle changes,in my food choices and the activities I do. You make the right choices you are rewarded.
  • Deanthedog
    Deanthedog Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    in my opinion you have got this all wrong there is a healthy way and a unhealthy way to do this ...

healthy way is to eat right exercise and make sure you fuel your body ....

this week alone i lost over 2.5lbs im eating around 2000 calories and doing the insanity program

the unhealthy way

cut out as many calories possible ..some people go as low as 600 a day and exercise 60mins a day

now thats what makes your body shut down and go into starvation mode

alot of them dont think they will reach 10lb its a goal for them all taking part they will all support each other and congratulate each other on there losses thats all it is.....some healthy competition
  • x__abbi__x
    x__abbi__x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    10pound?! Jeez i'd be happy losing half of that!! Considering I lost 0 in my first week of being here i'm feeling pretty crappy and i'd be over the moon if I lost 1lb a week lol
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 pound goal. For two pounds a week. I am consistently losing 2 pounds a week, so I wanted a realistic goal for me.
  • aabyrer
    aabyrer Posts: 57
    Options
    Be careful not to put down other's goals before you know the whole story. Most of the people that said "I'm in" (like me) didn't say it because they really think they will lose ten pounds. Most of the people said I'm in because they want an April support group. maybe they've been stuck in a rut for a while and are going to try new techniques? I know in April I'm eating more because I"ve been stuck in a rut for a couple weeks. Maybe some of them are taking the challenge because they want to start working out even harder, and they need something to work towards..

While we appreaciate your concern, we have enough people trying to preach to us about weight loss, and it would be more beneficial to just support us and not fly off the handle.

I'm really not trying to be rude, just clearing it up for you. Thanks!