nutri system....??

Options
has anyone tried this diet before? I am thinking about starting it but i want to know if it really works..

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on it and he lost weight but he said the food tasted like cardboard and it was expensive.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I had a friend on it and he lost weight but he said the food tasted like cardboard and it was expensive.

+1 to that...I've had a couple of friends do it and they all said it was expensive, the food was crap and anything they lost, they gained back as soon as they stopped.

Why not keep using MFP, watch your calorie intake, eat healthy stuff and exercise? It might take longer but remember: you didn't gain the weight overnight...why would you be able to lose it overnight?

Jeff @ YEG
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a healthy way of living. What happens when you reach your goal and now you have to start eating on your own and fixing your own food instead of having everything delivered to your front door.
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did it and it worked great if you can tolerate the food...it is terrible. I also found it doesn't teach you the basic fundamentals of food...like calorie counting and I ended up right where I started after two years and without my gallbladder! I basically went from eating no carbs to my normal carb intake and my body went into shock and created gall stones!

On another note...I was reading on MSN yesterday the top ten reasons for weight loss failure and fad diets was on the list. It basically said if it worked so well...it would be out of business because there would be no overweight people!

Just my 2 cents~Good Luck!
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried this diet before? I am thinking about starting it but i want to know if it really works..

I have used NutriSystem and I have a few things to say about it. :smile:

First off, yes, it works.

Secondly, you still have to buy your own food to compliment the pre-packaged meals, so you will be eating fresh foods.

Third... it is based on the glycemic index, which is what many others espouse, such as Food Lover's, Zone, etc. And I think this is a very healthy lifestyle of eating to adopt.

All of that said, while I saw great results, I don't like NutriSystem because the whole pre-packaged foods with the unhealthy "fake crap" in 'em, just doesn't appeal to my nutritionally educated being. You can achieve the same results by following one of the similar GI based recommended plans. My personal fave is Zone Diet, however, I don't use any of their products (doesn't mean I wouldn't, IF the ingredients are wholesome), I just like how they simplify it by the 1/3 plate plan. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to design your own meals!

I would like to commend NS, though, because they have counselors available 24/7, and you actually DO learn how to eat, for life! They also have a live chat community to talk with other "losers!" Also, I have to say that, while some of the foods are disgusting, you quickly learn which ones appeal to you and which don't, and some are verrrrry tasty! Everyone is different, and everyone has different needs. For some, NS might be healthier food than what they are currently consuming, so it's a step up. For others, like me, it's a complete step down.

Also, while I used NS I also used a website similar to this one to log in my food. The NS food has all the information on the packaging, so it's not hard to keep track of calories, and other nutrients consumed. I'm pretty sure that NS also has a food diary on their website, but it's been a few years, and my memory doesn't like to keep frivolous stuff in it anymore!! So, basically it's just like any way of eating; if you don't work it, it won't work for you!

One thing that I didn't look at in the ingredients when I was doing it, was if it contains HFCS. I only just recently learned how BAD that is for our bodies!

Anyways, all the best on your journey!!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oops! double-posted!

<grin>

Sowwwwy!!! lol!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have used it and lost weight. Every one of them gained it back after they went off the diet. It's expensive. What you are actually doing is eating processed/frozen/microwave meals for all of your meals and most of your snacks and then supplementing it with salads and your won food.

Not, INHO, a sustainable way of life.

However, if you have the money and need a quick fix, it does work for the short term.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    i agree those programs are expensive I tried Jenny Craig and I quit it because of the cost of the foods.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I think that the best way to make a change for the rest of your life is to gain knowledge about what it is you are eating, and how to modify that into a healthy diet. In this way you're learning how to maintain the healthy lifestyle.
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    I have a co worker who lost a ton of weight and has kept it off, because she continues to eat the food. She found some stuff she likes and works in a department that is extremely demanding (60 hour weeks are light), so she enjoys not having to "think" about what she's eating or cook for herself.

She can afford it though.
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi- I tried it years ago and lost 40 pounds in about 41/2 months - just tried it again and simply could not eat the food. It was all 'comfort' type foods - and it all tasted the same. I didn't find it expensive - if you are eating out or buying junk food it won't be more than that and if you eat 'clean' it will be less expensive probably.
    I don't recommend it - eating good food and making your own micorwave meals works just as well and tastes a whole lot better!
    Best Wishes! :flowerforyou: